Die Another Day DVD Hurts My Ears

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

I watched the DVD of Die Another Day, the latest and ..uh.. latest James Bond film last night. The DTS track is cooked beyond belief. I found it very difficult to sit through as it seemed optimized for low level listening. The Dolby Digital track actually sounded a lot better, although still on the hot side.

The film was pretty much a disappointment as well. It starts very well, but some time after they leave Cuba, it takes a turn for the worse and gets "Batman & Robin" bad.

Regards,

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

The whole movie is that bad eh?

For a second there I thought you were just addressing Madonna's theme song.

:)

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes, its been reported on other DVD sites that the new dvd is very hot (maximized to death).

I saw the movie in the theater and thought it was just ok. Not the greatest Bond by any stretch.

I collect Bond films so I did buy the dvd but it probably won't be played to much.

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Thanks, Ken. I will have to compare mine (once I finally watch it). I've never heard a *bad* DTS movie soundtrack before.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Re: Re: Die Another Day DVD Hurts My Ears

Me neither, IIRC. Most examples I can think of, the DTS was somewhere between "better" and "identical" to the corresponding DD track. In this case, it sounds like the audio equivalent of a blender which only has two settings: "mild" and "crush ice".

Regards,

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Guys, it looks like Peter Mew is mastering the audio on DVDs now.

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I thought this was the best Bond movie since the first one Pierce did. The first half of the movie was great even if it did get kinda stupid at the end. It wasnt Batman and Robin bad, nothing is that bad. Pierce is a great Bond and was clearly comfortable in the role. I hope he does at least a couple more. Go back and watch the older Bond movies, they are all a bit cheesy and overdone, except for the first one or two, which are just more secret agent and less gimick.

8. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I'll be buying this for Rosamund Pike as Miranda Frost.

Yummy!

Aaron

9. Ken_McAlinden

Here's my more specific issues as to why I see it as Moonraker for the 21st century:

Special effects that look as expensive as they do fake are favored over the impressive stuntwork that makes the Bond series great.

The dialog, which is normally corny in a Bond film, leaps over the edge into insulting the audience's intelligence.

The villains are idiots played by actors who are either bad or directed to be so.

Playing the space laser card has reached the point where they should just leave it to Austin Powers.

We are somehow supposed to view a certain father-son relationship as operatic drama figuring prominently in the climax even though it has barely been established and their actions make no sense in what little context there is.

Based on the ice palace, the metal weapon suit, and the sub-Schwarzenegger acting by the main villain, I sort of assumed that the filmmakers were welcoming the Batman & Robin comparisons, anyway.

Anyway, I liked all three previous Brosnan films better than this one.

Regards,

John B Good likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Oh goody, I can thread crap. :)

Dr. No
    From Russia With Love (the Best, most serious Bond)
    Goldfinger

After that, forget it for me.

Back to thread!

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I have a confession:

I, Brad Preston, have never seen a 007 movie in my life.

Does that make me weird?

12. Ken_McAlinden

Those tend to be everybody's favorites. I also like the latter day "serious Bond" played by Timothy Dalton in "License to Kill", but for some reason they had to put Wayne Newton in the cast. :sigh:

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" would probably have been my favorite if they had gotten Sean Connery to do it. It's still pretty good with Lazenby, and there is, after all, the Diana Rigg factor.

Regards,

13. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Probably:)

Jeff

14. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

I thought Timothy Dalton was a very good Bond, much better than Roger Moore, though the Moore Bonds were definitely played more tongue & cheek. Dalton played the character most like the character in the books. Connery is still far and away the best though.

Jeff

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, what an altitude...:mad: ;)

The first three are my faves, for sure. FRWL, today, I'm not sure would have that scene where an angry Bond slaps the heroine. It's still shocking, come to think about it. As is Robert Shaw, probably the most underrated villain in the series' history. But after three successful films, the move to higher budgets and Panavision made the series more slick, but the grit of the early films give them a special charm. There's still a lot to like as of THUNDERBALL, but only the first three, to me, seem fresh and not steeped in convention and the Bondiancliches that would stifle later films.

ED:cool:

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That was the best part of the movie for me.:cool:

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I second your crap, Steve... ;) Although I do like the other three Connery Bond flicks as well, but not *quite* as much as the original three.

Is it me, or do Brosnan's film titles all sound the same?

18. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I had a similar experience with the first few minutes (as far as I've gotten so far) of the Batman film with George Clooney. I think that was the one. The one with Prince on the soundtrack. And that was with the VHS. (The first time I've ever heard anything bad come out of VHS player!)

And why is this necessary? I mean it's not like they are going to be playing videos on the radio, or putting them into changers, so where's the loudness advantage?

Speaking of which, I went to the movies the other day to see Down With Love - thought it would be good clean fun, but it wasn't - and it was intolerably loud, for absolutely no reason. The sound was clear. It's not a music film. What is it with LOUDNESS??

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sean Connery will always be my James Bond...I saw all of the 60's Bonds on opening day at the theaters for 50 cents...When my Step-Grandmother worked at a movie theater I got in for free...:)

20. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

My favorite Bond films are Goldfinger, Thunderball, and Diamonds Are Forever (Connery)

My favorite Roger Moore Bond films are The Man With The Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy (love Louis Jordan as a villain).

Die Another Day seemed to copy too many previous Bond films (Dr. No, Goldfinger, etc.)

Brian

Dude111 likes this.
  21. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

There are a number of DVDs where the DD beats the pants off the DTS, several of them are music DVDs. The Corrs "Live In London" and Janet Jackson "Live In Hawaii" come to mind off the top of my head. After hearing a surpising difference on two DVDs in as many days, I realized some time ago that I can't just make an asumption that the DTS track will automatically sound superior to the DD track.

22. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

It hurt my eyes!

Dude111 likes this.
  23. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

It is an anniversary Bond film so they tried to "copy" pieces from other Bond films to pull it all together. "Bond Girls are Forever" was a nice freebee and sells for the price of the Bond DVD on ebay. I believe MGM will be putting a moratorium on the currently available 007 DVDs and release another box set and singles in time for Christmas. I listened to the DD track on a small Onkyo 5.1 set up and did not notice the lousy sound.

24. GabeG

GabeG New Member

This one hurt my ears in the theater, so I'm less inclined to blame the dvd dts (or dd) tracks. However, I haven't heard the dvd (or intent to).

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

DD does go a long ways with me. Although my DVD player does have DTS capabilities, I don't have a DTS receiver as most all of you probably know by now, so for obvious reasons I can't compare DTS vs. DD at all, but that's OK, at least I can watch the movies and listen to the audio on my stereo system. At least I know darn well that specs aren't everything. DTS does have better specs, but better specs does not always equal better sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.