Different Amy Winehouse "Back to Black" CD artwork -- what's the story?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I'm late to the Amy Winehouse party but want to check her out due to all the praise I've read about her here and heard from friends.

And I want to start with "Back to Black."

So my local store has two copies.

Both have the exact same "Explicit" discs (hub matrices are the same) but each has a different cover photo on the booklet --

(1) Amy sitting in white dress with hands between her legs

(2) Amy lying down -- you can only see her face and arm

-- and different colors of the song listings on the back insert

(1) Songs in white print

(2) Songs in brown or copper-colored print

What's the story?

Is either rarer / more valuable?

:help:

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The version of her sitting in a white dress is the cover that was originally released in the UK in 2006. When the album came out in the USA in 2007, it had the lying down cover...and had one song ("Addicted") removed and replaced with a second (remixed) version of "You Know I'm No Good" tacked on at the end.

And funnily enough, I never noticed (until now) that the tattoo on her left arm was edited for the LP cover. The actual tattoo one her arm was of a topless lady. But on the album cover, the lady has a bikini top.

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

My original US copy also has the sitting cover, so it's not that easy.

I think the sitting picture was not liked by someone as her 'issues' became known, and the closer (and more professional/glamorous) laying shot was substituted.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My copy of Back To Black had a solid black cover, no photo, and the words Back To Black were a darker shade of black on a solid black background. I sold it the day after Amy died for about $60 US to a forum member.

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

No, I don't think so either. I really liked the videos I saw on YouTube (and her performances on Jools Holland) so I was pretty excited when the album came out in the US. I went to Target and found the new cover photo, the remix substituted for Addicted, so I passed on it. I ended up buying the UK vinyl instead.

I think they just released two covers at the same time in the US.

6. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I bought the album right around the time it was released and it has the 'hands between legs' cover. I've never seen it again. Every other copy I've seen has the other album cover.

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

Are you talking about the CD or the LP?

8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Is the last song on your copy "Addicted" or the remix of "You Know I'm No Good?"

9. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

I've been meaning to check this album out. A poster at Amazon states the Deluxe edition has far better Masterering than the original releases. Out of curiosity the image for the Deluxe shows just a black cover. Is this a third cover or is it just a slip case and one of the standard original covers in within? If so is it
    (1) Amy sitting in white dress with hands between her legs
    or
    (2) Amy lying down -- you can only see her face and arm

My hope is #1 as I'd prefer the original cover.

10. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

The deluxe is basically the same mastering (maybe a little less limiting), but out of error it was pressed at an extremely low volume (we're talking about 50% peak levels). The UK vinyl is the one to get, IMO.

11. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Thanks for the info! I don't have a vinyl setup so from CD options it sounds like perhaps it's best to avoid the Deluxe and just go with the original in which case I'd probably go for one from the UK for the original cover.

12. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

To me, the deluxe edition sounds way better than the regular issue.

13. This thread needs pics.

14. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The black cover for the Deluxe Edition is a third cover indeed. Some versions of the deluxe edition also have a different mastering of the album, not brickwalled. See also this thread: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=132410

I wouldn't say that that specific version of the deluxe has an extremely low volume. It is not brickwalled, but it isn't extremely quiet either. It does sound better than the regular release.

15. cubist

cubist Forum Resident

Never mind the covers, just make sure you get a copy that includes "Addicted". As far as I'm concerned the US version is guilty of censorship, both musically (the removal of "Addicted") and visually(touching up the tattoo, how ridiculous!)

matty j likes this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I got the original EU pressings of the albums on cd and was really surprised back in the day when saw the US vinyl issue containing different cover-art.

Cool, nice good pic still but the photoshopping of the tattoo is just so lame...

[​IMG]

I have been wanting the deluxe editions for extra-tracks but too bad if there is really messed up release.

17. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Her in Sweden, the album came out without any bonus tracks! Ordered a copy from Amazon UK. The super quiet deluxe edition is the version i enjoy most on CD.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, would you say that if I wanted the deluxe editions of the albums, I should opt out and get the 4 cd set?

http://www.discogs.com/Amy-Winehouse-Frank-Back-To-Black/release/1576593

By fast browsing, it seems to be "in stock" in couple stores that usually order cd/vinyl from.

19. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

If you want the deluxe 2cd edition, make sure you find the first verion in a paper box. The later pressings are issued in a regular jewelcase and sounds just like the regular version!

20. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The best sounding CD version of Back To Black is the deluxe edition in the cardboard slipcase. This is the correct entry on discogs:
    http://www.discogs.com/Amy-Winehouse-Back-To-Black/release/1397804

Take notice that the catalog # of this one is 174 909 7. As noted before, this one is out of print now, so it might take a bit of effort to locate a copy.
    Happy hunting! :edthumbs:

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

But, Im pretty sure I already got the best pressing on cd, thats why I asked about the 4 cd set for the tracks I dont have.

22. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

OK, if you already have that Deluxe Edition then the 4CD set is probably an OK deal to get Frank and its bonus disc. Though isn't it then easier to just get the 2CD edition of Frank?
    I don't know about the mastering of that 4CD set. My guess is that it's identical to the regular masterings of those albums.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, the eq is a lot better and there is less compression. The whole album sounds much better on the Deluxe Edition. :righton:

24. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I don't think so, sounds about the same to me.
    Still sticking with the EU/UK vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.