"Dig It" (on Let it Be)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 6, 2016.

1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes (though I'm not 100% sure if anything was 'patched' on LIBN).

2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident

Heather and Paul making a mess of a decent jam? :p

DTK likes this.
  3. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i always understood this to be the case Arnie, if they are not then i have been acting under a misapprehension these past few years.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  4. muffmasterh

yes i must admit when i first heard it i never had a big problem with it, in some ways it gave a bit of edge to a track some may find too mawkish.

5. Selteab

Selteab Well-Known Member

Given that the song gets a fair airing in the film, it probably necessitated having it on the LP too. I enjoy the film of the song, with John playing the Fender VI bass.

muffmasterh likes this.
  6. grandegi

grandegi Forum Resident

I re-listened to the three versions. To my ears, the bass playing is actually awful. I can hear at least 5 or 6 missed notes on the Get Back version and the Naked version, at the same points (if the bass tracks are different ones this is really strange). Even on the Let It Be version (albeit buried under the orchestration) I can hear the same issues, mainly because I know they are there. I confirm my initial puzzlement about this: why wasn't the bass track re-recorded?

Edit: "awful" is not the correct word, but those notes do not sound "right" to me in any case.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

GB uses the take from the 26th, LIBN uses the one from the 31st, so I'm confused about your conclusions.

The bass playing on both sounds fine to me (no, he's not a virtuoso), though I prefer the take from the 26th overall.

8. grandegi

grandegi Forum Resident

Can you actually detect differences in the bass tracks? To me they sound at least very similar. On the Naked version I hear wrong notes @00:28, @01:12-01:13, @2:09-2:10, @3:06-3:07. On the Get Back version I hear the same issues. As I wrote in my previous post "awful" is not the correct word, but those notes don't seem "right" to me anyway.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Back in DC, I knew a kid named Matt Busby!
    He was a year younger than me, and didn't know why, when I said his name, I would shout "DIG IT!" at him!

EddieMann and grandegi like this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I figure, in this 'new age', we can get the "Heather wails' mixed OUT of the song!....... maybe.....
    or...'auto-tuned', for comedy's sake!

applejam101 likes this.
  11. slane

slane Forum Resident

They SHOULD be completely different takes, including the bass part. John was not a natural bass player, but he does ok on this song, IMO.

There COULD be some 'fixing' on the LIBN version (there is on other tracks), but nothing that's ever stuck out to me.

The Anthology DVD and the 1+ DVD both use the LIBN take (31st) in different mixes, so you could compare those with LIBN.

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

^^^

A list of the available mixes of TL&WR:

26th January version -
    Get Back albums (bootleg)
    Let It Be (with overdubs)
    Anthology 3
    1 CD remix (with overdubs)

31st January version -
    Let It Be film (mono)
    Anthology DVD (stereo remix of above)
    Let It Be Naked
    1 DVD remix

Both are also on the Nagra tapes of the January 1969 sessions.

dcshark and grandegi like this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. That's helpful. I've been listening to Let It Be again today and remembering how much I love this album.

slane likes this.
  14. kaztor

kaztor Forum Resident

Don't Let Me Down I agree with. Although it already was released, adding those 4 particular minutes to what's a short album anyway is far from a punishment.

Dig It, I think, is what it should be. A little snippet to add some fun to what obviously sounds like a sad, painful affair. There really isn't more to it, imo.

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Forum Resident

I agree. I liked it before I heard of all the Phil Spector fiasco, and still like it to this day. Better than naked.....

16. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Most just think of that name check as merely referring to Busby as manager of a team of the time, but it's probably at least as relevant that John grew up when people still talked fondly of Matt Busby as a recent captain of Liverpool Football Club.

17. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

My favorite is the slane remix to satisfy Mr. McCartney's memo :D

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thanks Mike :)

Mike Visco likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

The leaked versions are from the Nagras. As it was also recorded to multitrack (used for released snippet and longer excerpt on Johns' mix), it should be possible to mix from those in a way to minimize or perhaps even eliminate Heather. And at least Paul would be more likely to go along with that than Yoko would on the tracks where she similarly "collaborates"

20. Onder

Onder Forum Resident

Just gave a listen to both Anthology 3 and 1970 Spector versions and Billy definitely IS present on both mixes.
    As slane mentioned he used different sound on 26th. Electric piano (Fender?) with tremolo. It's mixed very low on the Spector produced version but it is there too!

Ondra

slane and Arnold Grove like this.
  21. muffmasterh

it is probably a bit of neither and both, Matt Busby was a household name across the country ( ok yes, as a result of the press becoming and remaining Man U obsessed since Munich ) and had been for many years before the song and remains so to this day to many of a certain age and thats nothing to do with being a Man U supporter ( which i am not ). Busby was that famous just as George Best was or Beckham remains or Bill Shankly became ( he was at the time slightly less of a household name than Busby but has probably become as much so since ). IMHO he got a name check simply because Busby was such a UK household name.

22. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Yes, I know.

muffmasterh likes this.
  23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen PORKCHOPS! Productions

Indeed, and ever since I read Revolution In The Head and actually listened to "The Long And Winding Road" and hearing those 'mistakes', they stick out like a sore thumb now. To be fair, I've heard worse bass playing in my day, but MacDonald's "amounts to sabotage when presented as finished work" comments are a bit over the top IMO.

slane likes this.
  24. boggs

boggs Active Member

Never liked DIG IT. A complete waste of space on the lp.

25. muffmasterh

not exactly much space though ...

Colocally likes this.