Digital Coax to phono?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jkull, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters Thread Starter

In need of another pair of rca's, I figured Id grab another pair of either the audioquest cinnamon I have or another pair of blue jeans cables. Upon pulling up the cinnamons online I realize these are technically 'digital coax' cable. I have this particular pair running out of my turntable to my phono. Now I understand that rca cables are really just coax cable with RCA connectors, however there are some variances in impedance and capacitance etc. My question is, is it not ideal to have these cinnamon digital coax or any digital coax for that matter running to a phono? Everything 'sounds' good, but im trying to understand if I should have rca's in this path instead and what the reason would be. Lower capacitance etc? thank you

2. jkull

bump. looking for some answers!

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

RCA is essentially a coaxial cable. It differs from the stuff that is used with cable TV with the termination connection. You basically have a pin in the center connected to positive signal cable then a negative outer ring with cabling connected to it. You can use anything between the terminations. Any two conductor wire will work. Coaxial just means there is a positive connection on the axis of the termination then a ring centered on the axis, so it's coaxial. There are different ways to make these kind of cables. Cable TV cabling has a center solid core with outer wrap closer to the jacketing. The capacitance should be only considered for the center pin since that's where the signal is carried. I honestly don't think there is anything digital about coaxial cable. If we start looking at fiber or HDMI, this is different. But coaxial is just 2 conductor cable. I have a lot of cables. I have a lot of RCA Cables. I've re-terminated or repaired RCA connections. I have a pair of Kimber Cable Tonik RCA cables that are just braided 3 conductor cables with 2 conductors carrying the positive signal and the third conductor carrying the negative. You could just as easily make cables out of TV Coaxial Cables. So I wouldn't worry about using a "Digital" Cable. It's all the same in construction.

jkull likes this.
  4. harby

harby Forum Resident

Digital coax is cable used for high-bandwidth applications such as SPDIF RCA coax, where not just any RCA cable will do. Video RCA cables, either the yellow composite or RGB component are also high-bandwidth. They will also work fine for audio.

jkull and timind like this.
  5. jkull

Thank you both.. So I can continue with the cinnamon cables.. These were the sort of answers I anticipated, but really had to ask, considering ive read some odd things while reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.