Dino Valente solo album-any opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elaterium, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just discovered this today on vinyl, was unaware of its existence before despite being a Quicksilver fan. I've yet to hear any of it. Any opinions from those who have it?

2. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I like that album quite a bit. The version of "Me and My Uncle" is great, and so are a bunch of the other things. I have it both on vinyl and on CD. It's obviously a folk-oriented album, not rock like Quicksilver.

I get the sense there are a bunch of people out there who seem to dislike this album and are very vocal about it. I say foo on them.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I suspect it's Quicksilver fans (like me) who have probably never even heard the album but see Valenti the way some Beatles fans see Yoko Ono. I for one have more warm fuzzy feelings about Ono than Valenti.

I made it through one side of the Valenti LP at a friend's once, but frankly don't remember it.

ronbow likes this.
  4. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yeah, I hear you. Quicksilver is really my home base too, and this album is really different from that. It seems like most people like earlier Quicksilver much better than the Dino Valente years, and I guess I do too. However, there is some great stuff from Quicksilver 1970-1975 - Mojo from Comin Thru is great, and I really like the album Just For Love, and live they were very enjoyable as well. I think if the earlier iteration of Quicksilver had never been, music fans would have probably remembered Quicksilver with Dino as a great band, not world class, but great nonetheless.

But back to the solo album. I think you have to approach it as just a completely different thing, and leave your Quicksilver hat at the door, and then it might be more enjoyable.

5. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

huge QMS fan, I'm in the majority in the I like the Dino era more, and the two Dino / Cipollina-less albums the best as far as the songs go...saw this CD used the other day, but passed...just can't seem to get past the fact that it would be a letdown as I'm not into folksy stuff..maybe I should check some stuff out on youtube...

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like it well enough but dial down your expectation and you'll be fine.

7. rcdupre

that stuff's not bad at all! It seems in QMS he always sounded the same, the high warbling stuff, but hearing his lower, natural voice on the solo stuff is cool, also interesting hearing him with strings...he doesn't seem like such an A-hole (his Yoko-like rep from QMS fans) in this video:

8. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

I came to this album with a different approach than most people, NOT being a fan of Quicksilver. I love folk/ousider folk and have good faith in the label Tompkins Square, that reissued the Valente album last year. So, I am enjoying it. Not a huge classic. A bit uneven, but enough good tracks (plus a couple great ones) to have it my collection. And it sounds good in mono.

Gumboo likes this.
  9. rcdupre

what do you consider the great tracks? Children of the Sun?

10. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Yes, I like "Children of the Sun" and perhaps "Something New" best on this album.

11. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Very good album!

You have to like his voice, though, as it is a singer-songwriter/folky album without much instrumentation.

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I like this album a lot. Nothing like Quicksilver however. Highlights for me are "Time" and "Children Of The Sun".

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

His solo album has its good moments. There's a certain tinge of self consciousness to it thats a little off putting at times. He was an interesting character and a decent folkie. He strikes me as a guy who wanted or tried to be a west coast hippy, but it was not really in his blood. I am one of those who think his tenure with Quicksilver era changed them to their detriment but at the same time, made for a number of excellent and classic songs.

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have the lp too and it's ok but I wouldn't spend big money on it regardless of how much of a folkie or fan of Dino's you are. It's interesting as in one of those non-committal ways. I think I paid around $8 - $10 for it in strong VG+ to nm shape. That's about right imo. I've played it a few times but there isn't anything on it that makes me want to take it out and play it. His songs with QS were better imo.

15. ganma

ganma Senior Member

This album was a disappointment for me. I like his work with QSMS, but the solo album lacked the fire of the group work.

16. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I like it very much , he had an unusual and very unique voice , I also like everything he recorded with Quicksilver
    and from what I remember reading in the booklet he led a very interesting and exciting life ( some circus background if I remember correctly)

17. peachyg72

peachyg72 Forum Resident

Looking to find out any info on Dino Valenti Get Together : The Lost Recordings, are they Quicksilver Demo's, on some of the tracks it sounds a bit like Gary Duncan on Guitar, any QMS experts out there with any information on recording dates?

18. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

I hate it.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

19. It's a great great folk album. I got it soon after it originally came out as San Francisco underground stations KMPX and KSAN used to frequently play Children of the Sun.

My original Epic copy sounds great but a bit worn and the new reissue is nice too.

Don't expect QMS but his voice is well suited for folk

rob68 and peachyg72 like this.
  20. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Everything Is Gonna Be OK

21. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

wow great video of dino, never seen before just a few years before he left us. he used to gig with the dinosaurs around this time. love dino. his solo and his albums with quicksilver. dino went back quite a bit.

22. I know this album well 47 years jeez. Just listened to the reissue again which is in mono. Beautiful album and nice version of Me and My Uncle

[​IMG]

zongo likes this.
  23. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Are there many noticeable mix differences between the stereo and mono?

Any alternate vocals?

As far as CD, does the Japan sound better than the Koch, and is either a needledrop?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  24. My CD is the Koch version. Haven't played it in a long time but it sound good. Never hear any other CD versions. Love both my original stereo LP and the new Mono one but I have never A/B'd them. I don't recall hearing different valveless version. Just love the record.

25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I have both the japan version and the Koch version and an original LP. Both the Japan and Koch sound good. I thought the Japan sounded a little richer, which I liked a little better, but the Koch has two extra tracks. I didn't compare to the LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.