Dire Straits and Bob Marley Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IanL, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanL

IanL Senior Member Thread Starter

Last night I spent some quality time with a friend playing cards and then darts at my place. When we play cards at his place, he fires up the old laptop and plays tons of mp3s out of these cheap computer speakers he has. Although he is a music fan, he is not much of an "audiophile". So last night he wanted to hear Dark Side of the Moon, and the only copy I have is the UD1 Mofi. He commented pretty quickly on how it sounded better than he had ever heard it. Next, we listened to the entire Dire Straits catalog in chronological order. These were all the Warner Remaster series, which I bought over the last few months. I must say that I am very happy with these remasters and the quality is very consistent over the entire catalog. The old ones were pretty good to my ears, but these all sounded better. With so many lousy remasters out there, I was very happy with this series. The other remasters I really like are the Bob Marley ones. I have re-purchased his entire catalog with the remasters and deluxe editions when available. Like with the Dire Straits, I always thought the originals sounded pretty good, but after buying all of the remasters now, I found these to ultimately be more satisfying. I'm curious as to what others' experiences are with these two series of remasters.

2. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I have completely stopped buying remasters realizing they will end up on SACD sooner or later...
    -wolf

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

That was ... less than helpful.

I have liked most of the Ted Jensen Bob Marley remasters I have heard. The previous round were not too bad, but the bass sounds a bit better defined on the recent ones. If I'm being fooled by incorrect eq, I like being fooled on these releases. :)

Regards,

4. Matt

Matt New Member

Catch A Fire is worth it just for the bonus disc. Some of Ted's recent work (the Eagles, Van Halen, Madonna) are a marked departure from how he used to master CD's (James Brown's Star Time, Aretha Franklin's Queen of Soul, Ray Charles's Atlantic R&B set) like he's going for that loud, modern sound, but the Marley's seem pretty good. Don't have the Mofi to compare to, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.