Dire Straits: Remastered CDs vs originals ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhw58, Jan 19, 2008.

1. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I never mentioned the 20th anniversary SACD, only the MoFi. I don't care much about the original disc resolution as well, but only of the final sound quality.
    So far, I could only find your graphs about the 1985 CDs vs. MoFi SACD or other recent Japanese releases. I think it might help someone else to see the differences between the '96 remaster and the MoFi SACD, which are both good discs. I've also discussed that in the MoFi SACD thread.
    If you are not interested, don't read it :)

eelkiller and driverdrummer like this.
  2. Gerry Todd

Gerry Todd Forum Resident

This thread, along with others on here, have been very helpful. I'm a big Dire Straits fan, but have always been disappointed with the remastered CD's. I just ordered these 4 on eBay, and can't wait to get them. I'm a little concerned, though...based on the pictures, there are some differences between the discs and inserts....are there any Dire Straits CD mastering experts that can confirm that these are the primo versions?

DIRE STRAITS Vertigo Red Swirl 800-051-2. Insert says "Printed in West Germany," disc says "Made In Germany."
    COMMUNIQUE Vertigo Red Swirl 800 052-2. Insert and CD says ©1979 Phonogram LTD, London
    MAKING MOVIES Vertigo Red Swirl 01 Matrix Pressing 800-050-2. Insert says "Printed in West Germany," disc says "Made in W. Germany"
    LOVE OVER GOLD Vertigo Red Swirl 800 088-2. Insert says "Printed in West Germany," disc says "Made in France."

3. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

All of them are great but unfortunately the best pressing for the first album is the Japanese target CD or the American silver face CD. Both of them have the same mastering. The German disc sounds good (I assume it is from an LP cutting master, cause it is significantly brighter in sound than the other two I've mentioned as well as the Japanese SHM flat transfer CD and even the 1996 remaster. But it's also clearer in sound). The problem is, that the great guitar solo at the end of "Sultans of swing" suffers from a very early fade out on the WG CD. Therefore the song is a lot shorter as it's supposed to be

Gerry Todd likes this.
  4. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

I wouldn't call 12 seconds (5:36 instead of 5:48) "a lot". That said, those early fades on some Vertigos are indeed annoying.
    In general, the Vertigos are cheap and good-sounding discs.

IMHO the best sounding Dire Straits redbooks (including the debut) are the Japanese 2013/2014 Platinum SHM-CDs, but of course these are quite expensive.

Linger63 and driverdrummer like this.
  5. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Yes, the early fade out on Sultan of Swing is a crime! However, I think you'll be very satisfied with Making Movies and Love over Gold (excellent IMO).

dav-here likes this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If they have Red Swirls on the discs themselves, you are good.

Gerry Todd and mdm08033 like this.
  7. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

... but the early fades on Making Movies are even worse than those on the debut.

8. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Not necessarily. At least the remasters of MM and LOG recently returned to the swirl design (to add some more confusion, since the catalogue numbers stayed the same for the remasters). Aside from that: A nice way to get an uncropped and not remastered "Sultans" is the 1988 compilation "Money For Nothing". But beware: A remaster of that one is out there too (quite rare, since it has been replaced in 1998 by the "Sultans Of Swing" comp).

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Seriously? But at least the catalogue numbers don't match the old 80s editions...

10. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Love Over Gold is 800 088-2 for bot original and remaster. Artwork is different and pretty obvious but by memory the disc is pretty much in the style of the old red swirls.

11. The_Windmill

Love Over Gold is 800 088-2 for both original and remaster. Artwork is different and pretty obvious but by memory the disc I have is pretty much in the style of the old red swirls.

12. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

When the remasters were released in 1996 all catalogue numbers remained unchanged. You could tell apart original from remaster by mainly two things: The remasters came in clear tray cases and there was a "SBM" symbol on the back. The disc artwork is completely different, too, and doesn't resemble the swirl look at all. Here are some pics of the remastered debut:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/7209006-Dire-Straits/images
    It's correct that some newer swirl discs showed up, too, but these should be exceptions and only available in certain regions. When buying your remastered disc in a store or ordering it from Amazon, they'll usually look like the one in the link above.

PH416156 likes this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Unfortunately, Japanese targets are very rare in Europe. Not impossible to find, but very rare. Most of mine are Japan for Japan issues.

14. Gerry Todd

The talk of "returning to the swirl" for the remasters has me worried about this one (which I ordered yesterday)...It doesn't look like it says SBM anywhere, but there's no "Made/Printed in Germany," "West Germany,"
    or "France" like the other 3 albums I purchased.

DIRE STRAITS/COMMUNIQUE(VERTIGO 800 052-2) CD ALBUM | eBay »

c-eling likes this.
  15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Wait for the MFSLs... they probably blow away every other release, incl. the rare Japan Target pressings.

dav-here and Plan9 like this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, you could never mistake the standard remasters for the originals, that's why I was surprised they kept the same cat. n°.
    And I never saw newer CDs reusing the swirl designs around here. "Only available in certain regions" make me think they could be unauthorized?

17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Looks like a PMDC, possibly early 90's. Tough to tell without seeing the hub matrix, thinking you should be safe
    https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Communiqué/release/378944

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Japan based original WB mastering found on the Japan for US and US for US. do not have that issue and I also find it to be a tad better SQ-wise as well.
    Sometime in the future there will be a MFSL hybrid SACD of Making Movies......

19. Gerry Todd

So, basically, the original masters (from the blue swirl discs) were re-released several times on the red swirl? As long as it's the right mastering, I'll be happy. It would be cool to own those originals, but they're so damn expensive. I just want the great sound..the remastered ones are so piercing...I hate the EQ job on them. They remind me of those awful Genesis DE remasters...so fatiguing. Unlistenable.

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

It's possible it carried over to the PMDC (If it is their pressing), they started pressing in 1992, 1996 were the remasters: With no Super Bit Mapping blurb I think your safe :cheers:
    Let us know when you get it

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

That Communique is the good one. That ebay seller is one of the very best, usually sells the disc in the pic. And his "very good" really means M-

As c-eling said, no SBM logo=old 80s mastering.

Gerry Todd and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

I agree Marcel, I've picked up a few from him over the years + German shipping rates to US are normally quite a bit cheaper than UK

PH416156 likes this.
  23. Gerry Todd

Good to know. I own the remasters and will compare, but it sounds like I'm safe. Can't wait to replace them! Thanks to all for the assistance on this.

PH416156 likes this.
  24. The_Windmill

I checked Love Over Gold on Discogs: all the canadian remasters listed there are "red swirl". My copy purchased in Italy has an Import sticker on it but no mentions of manufacturing country.

25. Gerry Todd

After checking discogs and comparing pictures, it looks like this Communique is a 1992 Canadian release. As you say, I'm thinking it should definitely have the 80's mastering.

Jonboy likes this.