Directly from MoFi

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by lwh1, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone in the U.K. ordered directly from the Mobile fidelity web site and how much extra in postage and import costs did it cost? I'm looking to order some items which seem to have disappeared from mail order sites recently so any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I've not ordered from Mobile Fidelity themselves but I have ordered from Music Direct who are the mail order face of Mobile Fidelity (they share the same address). Both use FedEx to ship to the UK.

Music Direct charge about $28 to ship a 2CDs (I think that was the price the last time I used them) but then Fed Ex will add about £12 for "normal brokerage" and then add 20% VAT. FedEx will bill you for this additional sum a week or so after you've received your delivery. I'm sure Mobile Fidelity will be exactly the same. An expensive business!

If you want to buy new from a large US company & ship to the UK then Amazon US is far cheaper as they include the VAT upfront in their bill so don't add on £12 for "normal brokerage". Amazon US use UPS to ship to the UK.

If you buy from an independent US shop & buy CDs you'll more than likely be able to avoid the 20% VAT completely.

Hope this helps.

eelkiller likes this.
  3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've gone right the way through to the 'pull the trigger' button and then opted out, it's just too expensive, you can pick up some of the stuff from alternatives, couple of independents, big auction site, big non-tax paying site but to get stuff direct is just way too much money.

4. lwh1

That's great, thanks guys, much appreciated.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

While I admit I don't know about international orders, I do know when dealing with Music Direct, orders are best handled over the phone. The online costs even within the US, are much higher than what you'll pay over the phone.
    They always claimed it was a " glitch," yet they had no intention of correcting it ??

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

For international orders it makes no difference how you communicate, the prices are very high, even to Canada. I tried over the phone orders to my location and I won't do it again.

7. Musicisthebest

If you can wait until Black Friday (Nov 25) then Music Direct will offer discounted prices, as will many other US websites.

Also you can make small savings by paying using a credit card that doesn't add its cut when converting from $ to £. Most UK credit cards will take their cut but there are a few that don't. See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ for details of credit cards that don't take this cut. Of course these cards rarely offer any other form of rewards so I have 1 card for UK purchases & another for foreign travel & foreign CDs.

8. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I don't buy direct from Mobile Fidelity or Audio Fidelity any more - I'd like to, but the postage is just so high. I tend to give it a few weeks after release date, and see if any of the bulk sellers on ebay have a reasonably priced copy with very low postage. Sometimes if you're lucky Amazon UK will stock an item. Amazon US is a bit tricky as you might get stung by customs - I think the ceiling for import duties is about 18 quid

if you're very lucky you might see one on sale here or on ebay from someone who bought two copies :)

9. Musicisthebest

Amazon UK can be pricey.

On Amazon UK the forthcoming Santana Lotus SACD is £46.59

On Amazon US it's $33.99. Including shipping & customs it's $50.36 which is currently £40.45.

10. lwh1

WOW HD have got the forthcoming "Lotus" SACD for £27.45 plus free shipping!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Musicisthebest likes this.
  11. Musicisthebest

I'm very impressed with their price but what about their service?

I've never used WOW HD but after looking at the reviews on Trust Pilot I'm inclined to pay a bit more to get better service.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Amazon US will charge you the custom duties, which is a lot less than being stung at this end.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It might be worthwhile their insurance charge. Of course, their items are shipped from abroad, so you might get stung for custom charges.

14. lwh1

They are the same company as Import CDs, I've had a dozen orders from Import CDs and five orders so far from WOW HD and not been charged any custom charges. I think they ship the stock over and then add them into the U.K. postal system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.