Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever heard/read a Beach Boys fan say that. Does that extend to the vocals only tracks?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

No, I'm always amazed at how astonishing their harmony is when I listen to vocal-only tracks. The four from Sunshine Tomorrow 2 blew my mind.

And I really love a cappella breaks found on Sloop John B and alt. ver. of God Only Knows. They're really impressive.

3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"I'm Bugged At My Old Man"
    This needs Dennis on drums for the true rock 'n roll spirit. Otherwise, it's perfect.
    4/5

"And Your Dream Comes True"
    Great singing and harmonies with lyrics that evoke marriage.
    5/5

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dream - kinda like Our Prayer but at the opposite end. 4/5

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

4/5 - love this one - it has richness in the vocals that hints at a more confident group of singers

FYI - Brian’s melody line is the same as twinkle, twinkle little star

6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

And Your Dream Comes True
    Very lovely. Very peaceful. Brief, but a very nice way to close things out. I'll never get enough of their amazing vocal blend. I'm trying to save my 5s for the really special ones, though so...

4/5

7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Summer Days (and Summer Nights!). 5/5. Since I won't be here this weekend, I did want to speak to this album as a whole.

Today! is the better album, and on a ten scale that would get a ten while Summer would get a nine. But I can't drop it to a four on a five scale, since it has so many great songs. Those are Girl Don't Tell Me, Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, Let Him Run Wild, and You're so Good to Me. Five is a lot. But unlike Today! it also has too many misses, and suffers from dragging the second side down after such a great start. The first side takes some effort to get going, too, and I was generous giving Girl From NYC a four, it being a rather plain opener after the leaps the band made in Today! I notice some love Amusement Park and SLC, but both are rather average efforts by them. Still, not enough to take it down to a four.

Kind of a rare album by anybody having the middle of it be the far and away strongest part. On lp that is interrupted by the need to turn it over in the middle.

So, not my favorite, has its problems, but still ends up a five given that great run in the middle.

Rock66 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I feel like there is something slightly off with the sequencing but havent really tried tinkering with it myself. I add “Little Girl I Once Knew” in place of “Bugged” on my own playlist.

EdogawaRampo and Hardy Melville like this.
  9. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Little Girl is one of my favorite all time Beach Boys songs, so obviously I agree with your tinkering.

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

And Your Dream Comes True - great vocals, obviously, and, as others have mentioned, a nice way to close out the album but it is not particularly memorable. I never find myself humming the melody or thinking about the song much. 3/5

11. Will Harris

A last look back, a look forward. A 5/5. "And Your Dream Comes True" is the most perfect of songs to close the album.

Lance LaSalle and Rock66 like this.
  12. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I like "And Your Dream Comes True", but I don't think it is in the top tier of their acapella numbers, but it is very good. 4/5. I agree with Will Harris that it is a perfect song to close the album.

13. Wata

Your ratings for And Your Dreams Come True:
    1-1 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-2 votes
    4-5 votes
    5-2 votes

14. Wata

Today we'll discuss the album Summer Days as a whole.

15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Great. Brian was eclipsing the slavish Spectorisms of Today! and making his own brand of music. Great songs great singing.slightly off sequencing. For me, its better than Today! Just barely. 5/5

16. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I agree with Lance LaSalle. 5/5, While there are a couple of tracks that are not classics the album overall is a great listen. Ignoring Party! we are very close to Pet Sounds...

17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Summer Days (And Summer Nights)
    I'm glad to see such support for it. I don't personally think it's better than Today, but maybe just as good. It peters out unfortunately at the end, but the middle chunk of this album is so magnificent I barely care. Brian's genius is on full display and the rest of the guys contribute extremely well, with great leads for Carl, Al and Mike. There's good diversity in style as well, from the rousing Girl from New York City to the peaceful And Your Dream Comes True. Great, great stuff.

5/5

The MEZ, Rock66 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Sdsn- Masterpiece. Fine art made fun. 5/5

19. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I think Summer Days is one of the best pre-Pet Sounds albums by the Beach Boys, along with All Summer Long and Today!

My rating of Summer Days is 4/5 (i.e. very good). But putting it in context, I must say that in my opinion Pet Sounds is the only 5/5 album by the band.

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Late to And Your Dream Comes True -- 4/5 for me, especially for the harmonies on the final line.

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) is one the band's best early albums (or is it mid-period like The Beatles Help! and Rubber Soul?). I guess it's 'mid-period' for the Capitol years...In any case, I've listed to All Summer Long and Today! more through the years, but SDASN isn't far behind. It's definitely 'high period' for the band -- All Summer Long through Pet Sounds was the band at their peak IMO.

saborlord123, Rock66, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Not the cohesive album that pet sounds would be but a good collection of songs

22. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I decided to go back and look at my ratings for all the songs on Today and Summer Days (& Summer Nights).

Adding up my scores, both albums came out with an equal, 48 points! I actually scored 5 songs on Summer Days as 5/5's, one more than I did for Today.

Dividing the 48 score by 12 songs comes to an average of 4 but I eventually gave Today (the album) a 5 due to the artistic progression, the cohesiveness, the album cover etc. A 5 especially seemed warranted when taking Bull Session with Big Daddy out of the mix.

Summer Days is often considered as a (slight) step back from Today but I think it is almost its' equal. I'm going with another 5/5.

Finally, as I likely stated before. my Today and Summer Days playlist on my iPod gets more play than any other playlist or album....slightly ahead of Pet Sounds.

Will Harris and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. Will Harris

The easy way to put how I feel about this album: 5/5, the first 10/10 album they released. That's how I felt about Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) as a kid, and that's how I feel about it now. I call it a favorite Beach Boys album because it is one that I play so often. I can listen to some of these songs over and over in one setting. I've played the album three times start to finish in the past two weeks.

24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Summer Days

I rate this as their best studio album so far, surpassing even the fantastic All Summer Long and Surfer Girl albums. Too bad that Al couldn't attend the cover photo shoot, as it is a scenic one.

This is the end of the line, when it comes to the original Endless Summer LP. That compilation includes tracks only up through mid-1965. Spirit of America reaches a bit deeper to the end of 1965. So, in some minds, this time period is the end of an era, as those two compilations originally used 1965 as a firm cut off point.

5/5

25. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I know it'll be treated like blasphemy, but I've always liked bookending Pet Sounds with The Little Girl I Once Knew as track 1 and Good Vibrations as the final track.

forthlin and Lance LaSalle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.