Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I missed it, or there'd be two votes for it at 1. Glad to see someone else posted they hate it too.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  2. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

"Here Today" is a track that I believe John Lennon paid attention to in 1966. It has the same aggressive drive as "Good Morning, Good Morning". Both feature strong bass lines and tripped-out horn sections.
    As said, Barn Burner and Mountain Mover! 5/5

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Here Today.

Great vocal by Mike, great chorus.

Another 5/5 in my book.

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Here Today"

I agree about the lyrics being trite, but interesting that Tony Asher seems to mimic "Fun, Fun, Fun" in rhyming "now" with "now". The ordinary lyrics do the song no favors. They seem like something that Brian and Mike might write, but the top flight mojo is missing. The song still works pretty well, but maybe Mike Love could have helped this song in the lyrics department. He sings the lyrics well, but they feel a little dumbed down for his talents.

The brass is great along with everything else on the backing track. I really need the mono mix for this track; the Linett mix feels so tame in comparison.

4/5

5. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Here Today and I Just Wasn't Made for These Times are key tracks of PS - the tension wrapped up in these two makes the album even more profound and breath-taking.

I'd give both of them 5/5.

6. Wata

Your ratings for Here Today:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-1 vote
    4-1 vote
    5-9 votes

7. Wata

Today's song is I Just Wasn't Made for These Times:

oldsurferdude likes this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Another 5/5. Lovely, touching relevant lyric considering what we know about Brian Wilson...haunting and beautiful.

lonelysea, Will Harris, Mr. D and 3 others like this.
  9. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

It's a 5/5. It's a tune that expresses what many of us have felt at some point in our lives and does it in a well orchestrated setting.

oldsurferdude and Uncle Ernie like this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

To me it sounds like lyrics mike would have written- so I don’t know if would have improved them

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

IJWMFTT- 5/5.

12. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

The melody of IJWMFTT is one of my favorites. Brian sings it beautifully and with a lot of conviction. And the chorus is amazing with its four(!) interwoven counterpoint melodies, including one sung in Spanish (Oh, cuando sere? Un dia sere—When will I be? One day I will be). This is a song where you can really see Brian’s admiration for Bach. Another example of why I never get tired of Pet Sounds. So much to hear, if you listen closely. 5/5

13. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Wasn't Made for these Times. 5/5. but ftr on a ten scale I'd give it a 9. It took a long time for it to grow on me, but yeah, I see the point of it now. It's just not one I pay all that much attention to.

Uncle Ernie and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Besides being my absolute favorite on PS, we actually get a glimpse of what's going on in the mind of Brian with him asking the question "where can I turn when my fair weather friends cop out, what's it all about?". Fantastic lyrics throughout this haunting song. "Every time I get the inspiration to go change things around, no one wants to help me look for places where new things can be found." Wow! No one tells us about Brian's feelings better than Tony. This entry quietly rocks the foundation of the album. So much more deserving of just a 5 but there you go.

15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

IJWMFTT. 5/5 , mainly for the arrangement and the tune, but truth be told I don't think I love it as much as the other ones. I like that tinkly keyboard in the chorus, that's pretty kick ass.

Will Harris and Uncle Ernie like this.
  16. Uncle Ernie

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  17. Uncle Ernie

Oops. I meant Garry Trudeau with respect to Doonesbury, not Mark.

18. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yep, this sums it up nicely.

5/5

19. S. P. Honeybunch

Mike wouldn't have written such generic lyrics.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

IJWMFTT - CINCO/CINCO

21. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Oh, ok, so "Christmas comes this time each year" are profound? :wtf::faint::wtf:

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've always been fascinated and baffled by that line. I stick on it each time I hear the song. It's just...so...I don't know, so completely obvious and redundant it's puzzling why anyone would say it to anyone familiar with Christmas. Like, yes, we know, Christmas is in late December, why are you saying it?

23. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Musically in the top 5 on this album of moods. A strong 5/5.

24. S. P. Honeybunch

"I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"

During the past few years I read some review or essay about Brian Wilson (probably through a link from this forum) in which the author said that Brian isn't a particularly tortured artist. What? This song is exhibit number one about Brian being a tortured artist.

This is a pretty good song. The "sometimes I feel very sad" feels kind of like a cheap and easy lyric (I usually don't like when writers use the word "very" as a placeholder), but I guess it fits. The repetition of the song title wears out its welcome after a little while and goes on pretty long. Would have been nice to add some more lyrical or other type of musical variety at that point in the song, but Brian probably just wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

The theremin is real spooky good as well as the background vocals. Percussion adds a lot of depth to the arrangement.

4/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  25. Wata

Your ratings for I Just Wasn't Made for These Times:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-1 vote
    5-11 votes

Thread Status: