Disney's FROZEN

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Wow, no previous discussion thread on Frozen?

I finally got around to seeing this on Blu-ray, and you know, it wasn't terrible. Normally I dislike animated features that are have only human characters (like Pocohantas, Hercules, etc.), but I have to say this was a charming little movie. The songs were very nice, the big "Let It Go" scene was very well done -- music and visuals -- and I even thought the voice acting was terrific.

Highly recommended for the kiddies and the young-of-heart. Not an absolute classic, but a good solid film. And... now the most successful animated film ever made. If I had seen the trailers and knew the story, I would've predicted, "eh, it'll be OK but no way will it ever beat Lion King or Finding Nemo." $1 billion later, and I'm clearly wrong.

Beautiful looking movie, too. My only nitpick is that the texture of the snow was inconsistent, as was the color. But I don't doubt that they killed themselves making it as good as they could. Extremely good visuals and an incredible surround mix -- thunderous bass on this thing.

P.S. The Snowman has the best lines.

2. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

saw it in blue-ray.my wife loves it.i think she's watched it 3 or 4 times already.i thought it was also quite good.be great to watch it in 3-d.nice effects.
    you are correct the little snowman is great.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Proud to say my wife's brother is in the credits as part of the animation team. Songs are easy to get stuck in yr head. I think I enjoyed tangled a slight bit more, but as a parent of a little girl, I love that the happy ending isn't the same ol prince/ princess hook up. My son enjoys it too. Thumbs up from here, seems Disney has surpassed Pixar in quality since tangled, Ralph and now frozen are better than cars 2 or brave

4. My daughter LOVES this movie. She won't let me watch it though, lol.

5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

It's an urban legend! :)

boyjohn, zobalob and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

My daughter loves this - we have watched it front to back more times than I can count. She even has the soundtrack on her Ipod! We originally saw it in Imax 3d - I agree with the OP.....good movie for all ages.

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am looking forward to seeing this, but am holding out for the 3D Blu-Ray.

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Our 4 year-old twins completely love this movie and have probably watched it at least 5 or 6 times since we got the blu-ray. I have to admit that I enjoyed it quite a bit, also.

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Love 'Frozen', definitely one of the best Disney animated musicals since the Lion King. I work in public relations at the New Amsterdam Theatre in New York where the current musical version of Aladdin is playing and the buzz is strong that Disney Theatricals is going to fast track Frozen as a future live production. If they keep up the quality as they have on past shows, Frozen should be a quite impressive live show.

10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Disney just hit the freaking jackpot with this movie. It’s the perfect storm of simple but engaging-for-kids story, the exact type of soundtrack that will strike a nerve with the wide demographic the film appeals to (the music is right smack in between “Broadway Musical” and “Pop”), and massive, MASSIVE “toyetic” appeal. The merchandising side of this movie is almost more shocking and out of control than the box office or soundtrack success. $20 dolls going for hundreds on Ebay, $100 dolls going for literally THOUSANDS. Want the two epic “Elsa and Anna” limited edition dolls? Someone at some point apparently paid TEN GRAND at one point. For TWO dolls! Two dolls that were sold for like five minutes at actual Disney Stores. Rarely has Disney had a “princess-themed” film for which they can market a wide array of dolls for which there is also massive critical praise as well as huge box office receipts. Stuff like “Brave” and “Tangled” had the dolls and whatnot, but not as much box office or critical success. “Toy Story 3” had massive critical success and box office, and obviously very specific “toyetic” appeal on one level, but not that core “princess doll” type of toyetic appeal.
    Having seen the film a couple of times, this film is firmly in the category of a movie for which I can absolute see how the wide appeal is occurring, yet I personally don’t find it nearly as appealing. It’s not bad at all, just not anywhere near the level to warrant being the highest grossing animated film ever. This doesn’t reach the levels of “Avatar” for me as far as the chasm between my opinion of the movie and its box office receipts, but I was surprised how simple and formulaic “Frozen” was. I was also pretty surprised, and I’ll try to avoid specific spoilers here, (highlight text below)....

that one character who was heavily marketed toy-wise and even shares a whimsical, fun song early on in the film, turns out to be a bad guy. I’m surprised more haven’t commented on how it makes repeat viewings of the film a little weird. It’s like “oh, what a cute love upbeat love song they’re singing! Too bad I already know he’s a bad guy now, so there’s nothing endearing anymore about these scenes or songs.” Yes, it’s not the first case of good guy who is really bad in a Disney movie, but I found it made a second viewing of the film a little bizarre.
    In any event, I’m not even a super Disney aficionado, but I’ve found as I get older that a hand full of the movies speak to me a lot more strongly than I would have ever thought. But “Frozen” is nowhere near “Toy Story 3” or “Wall-E” as far as storytelling and themes, and for those that like the classic fairytale-style Disney fare, I think the obvious items like “The Little Mermaid” and “Beauty and the Beast” work much better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    drasil and Vidiot like this.
  11. bubba-ho-tep

Probably should lead this off with a spoiler alert.

12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Genuinely curious, what is the generally accepted time period during which we need to offer spoiler alerts? Do we still offer spoiler alerts for the end of “Planet of the Apes?” Do we still apply the general rule that a one should probably assume that a thread about a movie that has been out for a half year or so might have discussion of plot points?

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I’m not often one to incessantly post YouTube links, but the “Honest Trailers” people put together some pretty hilarious (and accurate) pieces on numerous films, including “Frozen”:

svoegtlin, Kuzronk and allnoyz like this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

I always operate on the assumption that I'm the only one who has seen a given movie. Of course, that's absurd but that way I'm 100% certain that I'm not giving something away. I treat books and TV shows the same way.

Billy Infinity and supermd like this.
  15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

Spoiler alert for a kids movie without a big twist that's been out for almost a yr?

I'd like to know how many people on this site of mostly middle aged men who want to see it but haven't yet and don't want to be spoiled but don't have the sense to not open threads on movies they don't want spoiled there are. I'll rent both of you a copy

Vidiot likes this.
  17. bubba-ho-tep

Jeez, it was just a suggestion. Why are people jumping on my ass??? You guys are a tough crowd. I'm out.

18. guidedbyvoices

Because I haven't had coffee yet

19. guidedbyvoices

I'm enjoying being corny dad jokes to my daughter as I make up new words to the songs. Let it go becomes blow your nose, or snowman becomes just about anything like "are you wAtching sponge bob square pants? Are you eating apple jacks? I think it's time you brush your teeth, they're smelling weak and melting paint of all the wallls!"

Thesmellofvinyl and dkmonroe like this.
  20. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

As I mentioned on another thread this morning, fantastic movie. IMO, the best movie Disney has put out in decades.

And there are most certainly TWO twists in the movie.

But, what I loved most about it is the fact that it really comes across as the anti-Disney princess movie princess movie. It definitely broke the mold.

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I saw Frozen in the theater and several times on Blu-ray, and I think it's a classic. I saw it in the theater with my daughter and for me, it was an overwhelming experience. I'd never had that much unbidden emotional response to a Disney animated feature. Not tears rolling down my face, but just a total engagement and several lump in the throat moments. I really don't know what it is about it, just the combination of the songs and the truly stunning visuals. I thought I was gonna lose it during, "Do You Wanna Build A Snowman", so by the time it got to "Let It Go", I was just blown away.

I totally loved how the big, important emotional story was between two sisters, and romantic love was not the center story, except in a negative way in the example of Hans and Anna. When Elsa says, "You can't marry someone you just met!", and Anna retorts with, "You can if it's true love!", it was like a parody of what most people think every Disney Princess movie is - 90 minutes of bad relationship advice. When Hans and Anna's relationship turns out the way it does, it's almost subversive of the classic fairy tale story. The message is that you can't take things at face value, you can't give yourself body and soul to a stranger, even if he's a handsome prince. Anna's self-sacrifice was perhaps quite predictable but it was rendered so skillfully that it loses none of its impact.

I've seen a lot of Internet humor about dads hating hearing all the Frozen songs playing all the time and fortunately I can't relate. I love the whole soundtrack, even the inferior Demi Lovato version of "Let It Go." The only sad thing about this movie is that I can't believe that they can make a better one.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I love Honest Trailers but this is the first one that has underwhelmed me. It just seemed that they couldn't find enough really glaring errors or stupidity in this movie like they have in others!

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've not had any coffee since 1985 - does that explain my crabbiness? :D

MarkO and guidedbyvoices like this.
  24. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

BTW, Olaf was indeed pretty hilarious throughout the film, but the funniest line delivered came from Anna when she was psyching herself up to jump off the side of a cliff.

25. guidedbyvoices

That's my favorite too "all good things, all good things"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.