Disney's Live Action Beauty and the Beast March 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Can they make lightning strike twice from the same story?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Will it make money?

Probably.

Will it be any good?

More questionable.

I'll be curious to see how closely it duplicates the 1991 film. The trailer makes it look like a virtually literal recreation!

forthlin and Vidiot like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

No thanks. I'll stick to the original Disney version instead.

forthlin likes this.
  4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Since it's live action, I guess it's technically a remake of Jean Cocteau's La Belle Et La Bette. Good luck with that. :tiphat:

MoonPool likes this.
  5. This will be a huge hit. Disney has been having back to back hits with live action remakes of their animated features over the past several years. A whole new generation exists and fans of the original will check it out.

bluemooze, forthlin and dbacon like this.
  6. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

The animated classic is 26 years old. When we were kids, something a quarter century old was seen as a relic from the Middle Ages.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

This is true. Animated "BATB" is to 2017 what "Sound of Music" was to 1991! :eek:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

9. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It will be a smash, and it will be very well done. Disney is smart to keep these franchises "contemporary", they make tons of money selling merch/music/Broadway tickets, etc. When Disney hits a home run, it is a veritable juggernaut of revenue streams. As a fan of Disney animation, it's not my cuppa tea, I'll stick with the original.

10. Oatsdad

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was prepared to hate it, but I saw the trailer with Rogue One, and I have to say it wasn't terrible. I don't know about it being a smash, but I would be surprised if it tanks.

forthlin likes this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

forthlin likes this.
  13. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

My wife and kids saw it last weekend and thought it was great.

14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

For those who have seen this film would it be something my 3 year old daughter would enjoy? I'm concerned if the live action would be too violent or not hold her interest like the cartoon does. Also, do you think it would be too long for her to sit through? I want to see this and would love to take her but not sure how she may react to the live action vs. cartoon.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

A few scary scenes in the woods with wolves, and some gun violence that I found a bit jarring myself just because I didn't anticipate it (I am the one person on Earth who has never seen the animated film). And some death.

Benno123 likes this.
  16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Benno123, PH416156 and RayS like this.
  17. Oatsdad

You know your kid best, of course, but I think it'd be a tough screening. Live-action violence tends to be scarier for kids than animated, and it's also 129 minutes long - seems like a looong time for a 3-year-old to sit and be still/quiet!

Benno123 likes this.
  18. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

That is what I was thinking ... this is o e that is probably better for bluray. We're taking her in November to see Billy Joel and that will be better, she can get up and make noise and move around better at a concert than a movie!

19. Oatsdad

Craziest "too young for a movie" incident I recall: when my stepmother took me and my brother to see "Alien" in 1979. I was 12 - maybe a little young for an "R"-rated movie, but not to an extreme.

My brother was four!

I don't remember how he reacted. The theater was so full that I sat separately - IIRC, I actually had to sit on the stairs! - so I didn't directly observe my brother's reaction to the movie.

Still a great "what was my stepmother thinking?" moment, though. Maybe she thought "Alien" would be light sci-fi action like "Star Wars", but I'm pretty sure we knew what to expect going into it...

Benno123 likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh! Is it too late to have your stepmother arrested for child cruelty? That movie was almost too scary for me, and I was in my early 20s. I think I watched about 1/3 of it through my fingers. (What can I say: I'm sensitive.)

But Alien was a beautiful movie, and I think one thing that made it so scary is that it starts off so slow and calm and has such a measured pace, plus we observe the crew doing very boring mundane things for the first 15-20 minutes. And then all hell breaks loose for the next couple of hours.

budwhite likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

I've been tempted to ask her what she was thinking, but I doubt she remembers - this was almost 40 years ago, so she may not recall we even saw the movie, much less than the brought my brother, too.

In her semi-sorta-kinda defense, this was the 70s, when people didn't tend to fret as much about this kind of stuff. Not that parents let kids run rampant and watch whatever they wanted, but I think there was less sensitivity about the issue...

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  22. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

In my case my daughter finds the cartoon almost magical in some way. I am afraid if she sees a real action version that is a bit too violent it may break that magic for her. I know she needs to learn reality at some point but I also want her to enjoy being a kid for as long as she can, too. I just appreciate the help and feedback here, thanks!

MikaelaArsenault, Oatsdad and RayS like this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:thumbsdow

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Unbelievable, the close-minded nay-sayers who never even saw the movie, and now you're all wrong. And all your future opinions and posts are worthless. :wave:

25. Oatsdad

I'm still on the fence about seeing this movie. I always loved the original and I'm sure it's fine, but I just find myself really, really disinterested in a live-action remake and I've yet to hear anything that pushes me to go see it... :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.