Disraeli Gears & Layla deluxe editions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

In the new issue of Mojo (White Stripes cover), there is a mail order ad in the back from a company called Badlands Mail Order. They are advertising
    a Cream "Disraeli Gears" 2 disc deluxe edition and a Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" 2 disc deluxe edition. Are these actually out in the UK? If so, does anyone know what is on them? I wonder if the Layla set is a best of the 1990 box. What could they add to "Disraeli Gears" except live tracks? Are there any alternate takes available? I was under the impression that the multi tracks were either lost or destroyed years ago. Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

miked, I check Tower UK and didn't see any Diseralu Gears that's a 2 cds set.

Mud-

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

For Disraeli Gears, you could both the mono and stereo mixes, both versions of Lawdy Mama, the demos, and...I think that's about it. Unless there's more stuff that I don't know about.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Maybe those were just ads for upcoming deluxe edition releases. Along with Who's Next, they certainly seem like logical enough candidates.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There was already a VERY rich-in-content Layla box set, and I have it. Was a 3D box, even had repros of the tracking sheets from ATCO and the Florida recording studio who's name escapes me. What, the "Deluxe" Universal might have something new? This might be funny.

Disreali Gears regurgitated again? Me no like.

6. sjc

sjc New Member

I think that the advertisers base their ads on upcoming titles. If you go back through the back issues it ofen looks like an alternative universe of CD releases that never were. The Stephen Stills Anthology which is still not firmed up for release was being touted as early as last November if my memory serves me right....steve c

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Pause and Play has Disraeli Gears listed for Nov 12 (far out - Howling Wolf, Whos Next etc etc)
    The Florida recording studio is/was Criteria.

8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Great. Maybe next will be another version of The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East. I've already put Tom Dowd's kids through college, now I guess I'll be starting on his grandchildren's higher education.:rolleyes:

9. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Disraeli Gears & Layla deluxe editions?

The main problem with the Allman's Capricorn recordings is that the rights have changed hands several times over the year. I believe BMG now owns the rights. Supposedly there's a lot of Allman outtakes & jams recorded at Capricorn but legal wrangling has complicated the release. A live concert recorded at American University in Washington, D.C. on 12/13/70 (3 months before the Fillmore East recording) is available through the ABB website.

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I wish Universal/Vivendi had a decent webpage for their archive acts like The Who, Cream, Chess Records, etc. I already have the Cream and Layla box sets. If the sound is definately better I'll buy, but I'd like to know more. I've never had any of the "London Sessions" for any of the Chess acts (Muddy, Wolf, Chuck, etc.). Are they worth buying?

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

re: Muddy and Howlin' wolf London Sessions

Yes--The Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters London sessions are excellent. I haven't heard Chuck Berry's so I can't comment on those sessions. I prefer the Howlin' Wolf over the Muddy Waters only because of Clapton's involvement. It is great hearing the Wolf giving Eric a lesson on the proper way to play "Little Red Rooster". I've heard that these are both coming out soon in remastered versions with bonus tracks. I would wait for those before buying.
    Mike

12. John Buchanan

The old gold MCA "London Howling Wolf Sessions" has extra tracks added (from the second long deleted vinyl "London Revisited") and was remastered indifferently by the same engineer who did the MCA gold "Whos Next" There are odd overloading type distortions, as well as an absence of hiss in this version and I suspect the double CD should be an improvement on this, if only for superior cover presentation, and may have more of the London Revisited tracks added and possibly more rehearsals.
    Despite what is mentioned on the Windows Media Player album information, this is a truly great album. Its obvious that the stars are in awe of their less admired mentor and support him well throughout. It's a pity that they couldn't get Wolf to play acoustic slide on the studio version of "Little Red Rooster"
    Did you know that the vinyl was released on Rolling Stones Records in the UK and Chess in the US? The Chess version with the gatefold and lyrics is the version to find if you're a vinyl hound.

13. jdw

jdw Senior Member

There is another release of Howlin' Wolf "London Sessions" material that is worth tracking down -

Howlin' Wolf "London Revisited" (Charly Blues Masterworks Vol. 46/catalogue number CDBM 46)

I bought it in 1994 or so. This is one of Charly's "semi-legal" CD releases of vault material from the Chess label. The liner notes to the disc state;

"This CD is made up of different edits and extended versions, without overdubs, from the original album. 'Little Red Rooster' and 'Poor Boy' are different takes."

These tracks seem to be the original live sessions without the horn and keyboard overdubs. Sound quality seems a bit "rougher" and better than the original album/CD (IMHO). If Universal/Chess is preparing a deluxe version of the album, it might contain even more outttake/alternate material than this Charly release.

By the way, does anyone know the details behind the Chess Versus Charly story? I've read Charly had the European licence for Chess recordings and sometime in the '70s (before MCA bought the Chess catalog), Charly went into the vaults and copied every single tape. Ever since, they've been releasing unreleased material and Chess (by this time owned by MCA) has sued them several times trying to stop it. Does anyone else have more complete details?

It seems strange to go into a record shop and see several compilations of Muddy Waters Chess recordings on the Charly label, and then also see a few Waters live bootlegs (also on Charly!)...

14. John Buchanan

I'm sure I've read that Charly have had their hands smacked many times for dodgy practice. This may be just more of the same, however London Revisited was a legitimate Chess release originally I recall. The bonus tracks on the gold MCA CD are Goin' Down Slow, Killing Floor and I Want To Have a Word With You and its cataloge# is CHD 9351
    Disraeli Gears could be interesting. As Luke says, there is a fair amount of material that could be used as well as a large number of photos from that time (climbing Ben Nevis, recording in Atlantic Studios) that could make an excellent package. I'm hanging on to the MoFi as well as purchasing this.
    Layla - hmmmmm. I thought the box set would have nearly exhausted that souce. Maybe a return to the old pre-remix masters and Layla will be done with one CD of a best of the jams and bonuses from the box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.