Distortion on Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy Vinyl Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

I just got my HOTH SDB yesterday they were the only ones that had it I was supposed to get both from Amazon then switched to SoundStage Direct cause there close but I got burned and just got IV so I placed a order with Amazon and got it yesterday. How stupid am I? I thought IV would be the problem

2. barrie60

barrie60 Forum Resident

The distortion on The Ocean is most significant during the guitar solo after the second verse. It has always been there on all the CD versions I have, though not as noticeable on the Japanese mini-LP that I have, though that was based around the Marino remaster of course. I still hear it on the new master, though again not as significant as other versions. I think this must be present on the original master tapes, so they would be limited to what they could to eliminate that without adversely affecting the actual music. I have also noted slight tape drop-out at the beginning of Dancing Days. Anyone else notice that? Again always there on all the versions I have heard.

krlpuretone likes this.
  3. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

The Ocean has always had the identified distortion - nothing new here.

johnny q likes this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No. This is a pressing flaw. I've listened to "The Ocean" ever since I was 7 years old in 1973. The new vinyl is jacked ... the distortion in the left channel is egregious and unlistenable. I A-B'ed with the last CD issue and with Pbthal's needledrop of the 45rpm Classic version and the left channel distortion is NOT THERE on those versions. I can't make this any clearer ... this is a pressing flaw.

My replacement from Amazon should be waiting for me when I get home. Fingers crossed.

6. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Like I said before - I have the EU and US press of this reissue and there is clearly a distortion on the US press (starting from the first second as the band comes in), the EU press is fine.

AxiomAcoustics, Ben Adams and Dino like this.
  7. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Ben is absolutely correct, though I understand why some are confused because The Ocean has it's own distortions already. To everyone saying "it's always been there" understand that we are talking about a specific pressing problem that is associated with the new Pallas-pressed remaster. This is a serious and horrible sounding distortion that essentially ruins the track, not the usual distortions that are in the mix.

Ben, good luck with the replacement. I bought this from Amazon too but haven't replaced it yet. I fear it will be the same on any Pallas pressed copy. Please let us know.

8. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Sounds like the left channel distortion is different to the distortion described in post #52 which has always been there.

rcsrich likes this.
  9. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Thanks, grbl! I appreciate this thread. Glad it wasn't merged. I would have not caught this, at least not as soon.

Since Amazon.com is so slow to ship items out these days, I was able to cancel. I want an Optimal pressing now.
    (Since JeffR714 mentioned distortion on his 'Led Zeppelin - IV' I canceled that to be on the safe side. Will go with Optimal on that one, too.)

Ben Adams likes this.
  10. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Jeff, where are the distortion problems you are observing on IV?

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Here's the last 30 seconds or so of the track. This is with a properly-aligned Jico SAS microline stylus on a Shure M97xE cartridge with only about fifty hours on it total. I'm a needledropper, so I'm hyper-aware of the quality I'm getting out of my stylus. The LPs I recorded before this, perfect. The LPs I recorded afterward, perfect. That includes the new Led Zep IV which sounded bloody fantastic to my ears.

By the way, it's not just the left channel. It just happens to be worse. The right channel ain't any great shakes either.

Oh, and my replacement just showed up while I was writing this. IT'S WORSE. Dammit! *sob* Back they both go to Amazon.

Led Zeppelin - The Ocean (new vinyl distortion sample)

ParloFax and Dino like this.
  12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Thanks Ben. There is no point in ordering replacement US Pallas pressings at this point.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I would say not. I'll order the Optimal from Amazon UK next payday.

14. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

And do you agree Ben that these LZ high res digital cuts are quite good?

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I have no problems with I-IV in this reissue series. I used to manage vinyl shops and have heard these in god knows how many versions.

III especially is miles above any previous US Atlantic pressing in terms of sound quality.

tmtomh, Vinyl Fan 1973 and Dino like this.
  16. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

No, but subsequent postings suggest it is a Pallas disaster.

Ben Adams likes this.
  17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I apologize but I missed the initial information ... do you talk about the track "The Ocean" on the remaster, correct? Not the one on companion...

18. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Correct.

Giorgio likes this.
  19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

That's the crackle. I think the OP is discussing something different here.

There is a slight tape drag at the beginning of Dancing Days.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

So as promised, I listened on headphones a few minutes ago and I hear it. However, I would not describe it as bad enough to actually ruin the song, but it is there no doubt and as others have said, it is not on the CD! It almost sounds like some type of crackly static type noise. Almost the same as what was heard during the guitar solo on the Marino remaster - but now it's spread across the entire track. I dunno what else to say guys. US pressing over here BTW.

JQ

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I wish we can straighten out if the distortion has always been there if it it hasn't. I'm confused.

22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have two great copies of HOTH. One is an RL cutting and the other is a George Piros. When I play "The Ocean" on either of those copies, it flat "rocks".

23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Bummer. Checked my Deluxe Box and compared to it a RL pressing. Definite distortion, though mine isn't quite as bad as the sample. Still really annoying!

Ben Adams likes this.
  24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not bad enough to ruin the song? You must not be used to what a microline stylus can do with inner tracks. It shouldn't sound like that. Period.

25. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Ouch - that sounds awful..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.