Distribution Denied! 25 Films You Can’t Get on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lbangs, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Well, you're half right.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The Execution of Private Slovik

Only released in PAL Region 2
    One of the first films I taped off the air. The story of Eddie and his poor widow Antoinette was a perennial story here in Detroit, as she tried in vain to get something from the government for her dead husband. Year after year, begging congress and finding sympathetic ears for her story, only for them to deny her. Year after year. She never remarried and died in poverty. I remember she had one leg shorter than the other.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Grace Jones - One Man Show

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

True. I have zero interest in cars. :)

Rocker, J Madden and minerwerks like this.
  5. He's probably referring to the lack of a Blu-Ray release which looks, Increasingly, to be Fox's fault.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. As was pointed out earlier in this thread a widescreen transfer is available at Amazon on demand but the lower Rez transfer does the film no favors.

7. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

The Constitution itself says "limited time".

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It does, but it does not specify what "limited time" means, so it has been gradually extended under special interest pressure to the ridiculous. Since it is not a hot button issue with a national
    grass roots opposition organization this will probably continue. No one says, "You will get my reasonable limitation of copyright protection when you pry my cold dead fingers off it!" Few people care
    whether copyright is 30 or 130 years since few people care about anything older than a couple of years anyway.

SandAndGlass, sunspot42 and lbangs like this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Maybe it should remade with everything else now of these days.
    A good director could do it. Maybe Del Toro of Hellboy fame.?

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I Was a Teenage Frankenstein ?

11. For right now:
    I think Del Toro would do an excellent job the big question would be IF he would be willing to do it. I still want him to tackle At The Mountains of Madness but given thst Universal balked at the R rating he wants, it's unlikely. Del Toro and Bob Gale wrote the script over a decade ago...

12. Probably In the same legal mess as I Was A Teensge Werewolf..

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think several of the AIP films have some copyright issues and legal rights problems.

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

On the subject of copyright, I agree. The rules also need to be simple and consistent so that you can easily determine whether something is or is not in copyright, and to allow the creators and their heirs a reasonable amount of time to profit from it. I'd like to see something like: An item's copyright expires 100 years from its original date of release, rounded up to 1 January of the next year (as an example, under this rule something released during this year will enter the public domain on 1 January 2016) with no option for extension.

15. Solitaire1

On the subject of copyright, I agree. The rules also need to be simple and consistent so that you can easily determine whether something is or is not in copyright, and to allow the creators and their heirs a reasonable amount of time to profit from it. I'd like to see something like: An item's copyright expires 100 years from its original date of release, rounded up to 1 January of the next year (as an example, under this rule something released during this year will enter the public domain on 1 January 2016) with no option for extension.

16. Solitaire1

17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's probably cheaper to put it out and wait and see when and if any lawsuits result----no upfront costs expended that way when you wait for the [alleged] rights-holders to come to you.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, that can be very expensive, too, particularly if it turns out a big studio with deep pockets owned all or part of the rights.

19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Some pristine 16mm prints are floating about as well.......

20. Mirrorblade.1

That is problem a movie that came out 30 plus years ago.
    forgotten once on VHS, all sudden everybody crawls out of the woodwork.
    Like zombies, but they want money instead of brains.
    I think some rights should terminated some people with some these
    movies are probably dead.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Mirrorblade.1

I still want HellBoy 3 forget robojox part 3

22. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I guess it was a dud at the box office, but I quite enjoy it. I look for it on VHS every time I go to a thrift store. Apparently, at one point it was scheduled for a dvd release (pre-sale was up and everything), but got yanked at the last moment. Bummer.

sloaches likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It was on Netflix a few years ago. Fun movie.

24. Rights issues as I recall kept this from DVD.

sloaches likes this.
  25. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I actually have this on VHS. A friend of mine was able to transfer it to DVD, but it lost a bit in quality. Oh well, at least I can watch it without worrying if my VCR is going to eat it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.