DIY Stereo Cabinet - Stand

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FrostEOne, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostEOne

FrostEOne Likes it cold! Thread Starter

I like the looks of these casters, why hide them?

[​IMG]

2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Just not a caster guy outside of office chairs.

nm_west likes this.
  3. FrostEOne

No problem, we all have our preferences.

I'm curious, how would you propose to hide the casters?

4. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I like how Standout Designs does it:

[​IMG]

From the foot it looks like a standard leg/foot:
    [​IMG]
    It might not be as elegant a solution on a rack of your design since it's more "open" than closed like the above.

FrostEOne and james like this.
  5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Wow! Nice work!

FrostEOne likes this.
  6. FrostEOne

Bit the bullet today and purchased an 8 amp floor standing 12 speed drill press (300 - 3100 RPM) with ¾" chuck, plus a couple forstner bits I needed for this project.

All stainless pieces are cut and surfaces have all been finished.

Will likely layout and drill shelves tomorrow, then one last light sanding with 400 grit in preparation for stain.

Finish will be Epifanes CV.1000 Clear Varnish 1000 ml. $55.22, considered to be the world's best spar varnish.
    Epifanes Clear Varnish - Epifanes NA Inc.

I do my very best job on everything I do. If you're going to do something, do it right!

No hurry here about getting things done, one thing about being retired is that one has a lot of free time.

I spend 4 to 6 hours a day listening to music unless rudely interrupted. -=chuckling=-

I believe a day without music is not a day., music is more important in peoples lives than they realize or are willing to admit.

I feel most stereo systems annoy and frustrate their owners more than providing them pleasure and relaxation.

It's quite likely their stereo systems have never performed up to their described capabilities.

I think if/when people finally hear what their stereo systems can do when setup correctly, they will make time for music in their lives.

Mark B

BayouTiger and wgb113 like this.
  7. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Can't wait to see the final results!

FrostEOne likes this.
  8. FrostEOne

9. FrostEOne

Staim Tests - I think I like the second from right, Special Walnut over Golden Oak best

[​IMG]

Manimal likes this.
  10. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Epifanes is indeed the best spar varnish ever made. And expensive :)

A tip you already might know, I always cut Epifanes with mineral spirits and apply light coats with a lint free cloth, not a brush, slowly building layer upon layer. I start a 50/50 and work up to a 80/20, always with a light scuff between coats (i use '000' steal wool and '0000' for the last few coats). Yes, it takes a lot more time, usually 8 t0 11 coats to build a deep mirror finish, but it will be smooth and any little imperfections can be scuffed out and re-applied seamlessly.

I have no idea your skill level, but applying it 'uncut' requires great skill (and most likely an apprenticeship) to achieve a seamless smooth mirror surface Faster, yes, but brush strokes and dust imperfections are the bain of spar varnish.

Keep us updated....your project looks fantastic!

Cheers

FrostEOne likes this.
  11. FrostEOne

Yep, that's the plan. Thin w/mineral spirits - apply thin coats - light scuff w/400 between coats to keep finish smooth - 0000 steel wool between last coats.

Time is something I have a lot of these days, so no issue there. Work area for finishing is very clean and no one will be in there except me and I won't be there as coats dry.

Wasn't aware of using lint free cloth instead of brush, hadn't considered progressing in mix as coats build thanks for the tips, all makes sense to me.

Thank you for the fine compliment and your guidance is greatly appreciated, glad you like the project.

Mark

12. FrostEOne

Thank you for the fine compliment, I've put s lot of thought and time into this project, want it nice.

Manimal and mreeter like this.
  13. FrostEOne

I can't wait either, it may be done around end of this month or shortly after.
    I'll post a few pics as finish progresses.

mreeter likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I feel so bad for those of you (us) who just have to resort to custom designs and handiwork, just to get something you feel satisfies your needs, when there are billions of craftsmen and companies offering solutions to the marketplace's desires.

It ain't fair, skillz earned and pride of ownership notwithstanding.

But, you would think, just one of these engineer-heads would look at what people like audiophiles have to go through because the rest of what the marketplace offers that is unsatisfactory...

...and they would just knuckle-down and solve that issue themselves...and bring a product to the customer that is competitive with building it youreslf...and a damn sight better than whatever else is out there.

Write this down, somebody: "COM-PE-TITION". I'm tellin' ya, this is gonna be all the rage, someday.

Nice craftsmanship, FrostEOne!

FrostEOne and mreeter like this.
  15. FrostEOne

I couldn't agree with you more, I looked high and low for a commercial stand that I'd be happy with, none found!

Seems like no one makes quality items anymore, all just cheap construction with high prices.

There's no doubt competition is the key here, let's get back to making fine crafted products instead of one size fits all.

I'm glad you like the project, thanks for the compliment.

mreeter likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I am, if nothing else, a fan of the craft of ergonomics. :D

17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Anyone check out Fremer’s recent blog at Symbol? They make some nicely crafted and thoughtful furniture for gear and media.

18. FrostEOne

Standout Designs does indeed have some beautiful stands, made of all hardwood and a lot of nice features like the hidden wheels, wire management and removable backs.
    Prices are fair for what you are receiving, but somewhat beyond my price range.
    Not the open design I'm after, tubes put out a lot of heat, plus I'm trying to remove reflective surfaces since the stand sits between the speakers.
    Really wish I had a different location for my gear and could leave the long wall totally devoid of everything except speakers.
    That'd be ideal!

mreeter and wgb113 like this.
  19. FrostEOne

I finally got all the outside house maintenance done, cleaned the garage today and laid out the wood shelves to start staining them tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. FrostEOne

All shelves stained today, now to get some finish on them.

[​IMG]

Shoalcove, wgb113 and 33na3rd like this.
  21. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

But it is the fun of designing and crafting it that makes it all worth while. Conceiving of, and construction of something like you are doing gets the mind and creative juices flowing and it serves as a distraction from the news of the day and all the sometimes crappy things that happen.

And at the end of the day you feel like you accomplished something rather than sitting on your butt.

You do very fine work and should feel proud :)

wgb113 and FrostEOne like this.
  22. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Ive said it before "Ipe" wood from Brazil or somewhere abouts sound great weather in a stand or under speaker cabinets. One day Id like to get a woodworker to make me a 4 Shelf stand etc. Great sonics. Ive had everywood and stone imanagable but Ipe does it for me. Google it, its used for decks and doesnt rot. John M.

23. FrostEOne

Exactly as you said, fun, creative and personalized from conception to finished product. This will definitely be an accomplishment I'll be proud of.

wgb113 likes this.
  24. FrostEOne

Ok, I checked Ipe wood out, Brazilian Walnut is another name for it. Way too dark in color for what I want, I'm trying to match the English Chestnut stained Mahogany trim in the house. Thanks for calling it to my attention though. Always interested in options. Mark B

apesfan likes this.
  25. FrostEOne

If I was going for a hard dense waterproof wood, I'd go with Lignum vitae. Lignum vitae is so hard, dense, waterproof and durable it's been used for the under water propeller shaft bushing on ships for years, the USS Nautilus uses it . Google it!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    apesfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.