Do all versions of Moody Blues "Go Now' sound harsh?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aberyclark, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have heard some CD compilations. I've heard a couple of streams on internet. They all sound harsh or should I say distorted. Especially the vocals. Is ther a clear, clean sounding version or is this the way the song was originally recorded?

2. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing today... I think this record is like Gary US Bonds' "Quarter To Three" and Jimmy Soul's "If You Wanne Be Happy." They were recorded very poorly.

3. aberyclark

Was it recorded at Broadhurst Gardens? If so, so many other recordings at the time from that studio sound so pristine. Even the early Beatles demos sound good.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is the master recording. It was a demo which got released. It is what it is. Nothing can fix it.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A few years ago I bought the original Decca UK 45 on British eBay when I was on a buying spree. It sounds the best I've ever heard it. Dramatic, emotional and exciting. Cost me 3 bucks. Of course, it will never sound good due to the careless vocal mic pre overload but it sure was fun to listen to after the Decca mastering engineer worked on it.. It's also extra fun watching it go 'round on the turntable.

6. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I recall reading that for some reason the original master was misplaced/lost and the master used ever since was made from a needledrop of an overmodulated acetate demo disc. I have no idea if this is true but every copy I've ever heard has the same distortion, going back to 1965. I'd really like to hear a "clean" copy but I guess that will never happen.

Steve, when you say that your copy is the best you've ever heard it, does that mean less distortion than what's generally available now?

7. aberyclark

I did not realize it was originally a demo. It sounds like one of those recordings that you grew up listening to on AM radio and only to have it sound disappointing when you hear a "higher" fidelity version for the first time. I have a few tunes that the AM sound is the one stuck in my head. I bet that British 45 is probably the best sounding version around.

8. aberyclark

Found this info:

an interview with Mike Pinder about 10 years ago and posed this same question to him. His response was that the original was very clean, it was recorded at the Marquis Club in London, and somewhere he has some video that was shot during the session that has the song dubbed to the video direct from the master reel. He had no idea why every reissue sounds so bad, and found it very disturbing when he heard it off a CD reissue. (I think it was a London/PolyGram CD of "The Magnificent Moodies"). He also remembered the session being 4-track but couldn't recall if any stereo mixes were made from that multitrack reel. So there is no need for anyone to think we are forever stuck with the sub standard sound of Go Now. All it takes is to get someone in authority who is willing to go and obtain the multitrack and use it !

Here is the video I think he was talking about. To me, sounds like a whole different version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmYo0ZRpOgo

9. xman

xman Active Member

10. SixtiesGuy

That's because it IS a whole different version - a live take in the TV studio, not the original.

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The UK album version - on Decca, mono, sounds pretty darn good. If you don't know what a classic UK mono of that period on a major label like Decca sounds like -- they have a very clean punchy sound.

12. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

It sounds like it could be a little closer to the master than what we're used to hearing. The lead vocal as always is really pushed into the limiter, which I believe was one of the OP's complaints.

13. SixtiesGuy

Although it's still "into the red" it does sound better than I recall it did the last time I heard it on either Lp or CD. Veeeery interesting. Thanks for posting this.

14. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Octavian likes this.
  15. The whole Magnificent Moodies CD I have sounds harsh. I wish it could be cleaned up. The music performances are great.

16. aberyclark

That's the best I have ever heard. The piano still has that "limiter" harshness sound a tad...but not nearly as bad as the various CD. Sounds a bit warmer as well.

Drifter likes this.
  17. aberyclark

It's really amazing the sounds that these vintage stage mics picked up during the 65 MNE concert. When Pinder is playing the tambourine, It sounds clear as day, even when he steps away

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i've never heard one that sounded any good at all.

19. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Where'd you find my quote? BSN? I wrote the above regarding "Go Now" based on my radio interview with Mike Pinder in the late '90's.

That's not the video in question.

20. aberyclark

I saw it on a "both Sides Now Stereo Chat" message board while snooping info on Google. BTW, I never said the NME show sounded great...I was amazed at the detail the mics picked up on stage in a packed auditorium.

21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

To me it is part of the songs charm... but I agree, every version I have heard sounds harsh.

22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I picked up the original US single and was shocked at how distorted it was, somehow it worked on AM radio however.

23. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Yep, BSN = Both Sides Now.

I wonder if Mike still has the video he told me about.

24. aberyclark

you should email him and ask. From what I hear, he's pretty assessable on his site

25. aberyclark

I hope the original tape can be found somewhere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.