Do any TV stations go off the air anymore? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bencasey, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nashreed

nashreed New Member

The local PBS station in L.A. (can't remember the station letters right now) used to show Randy Newman's video for "I Love LA" every night right before their sign-off in the Eighties. I used to stay up til 12:30 or 1 sometimes just to watch it, cause I love that song. Wonder if they still do?

James

2. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

What was the purpose of the Native-American wearing a war bonnet on that familiar test pattern?

3. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I remember falling asleep watching an old movie and waking up to that terrible buzzing sound and multi-colored lines running vertically down the television screen. I knew then it was time to get up from the couch and go to bed.

Ahhhh... The good old days.

chilinvilin likes this.
  4. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

My Comcast Cable goes out anytime there's a storm. . .

does that count ? :angel:

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I don't think so...

6. I''l check my satellite feeds late tonight, but I'm sure several regional Canadian TV stations go off the air overnight. Think some speciality channels go off-air for a few hours, or at least they used to. Showcase Canada used to sign-off for 3 or 4 hours between about 2 am to 6am. They would run colour bars.

CBC TV used to runs colour bars which were just a hue of olive green to yellow as you can see on the top of the following pic. CBC TV is now 24 hours.

The modified SMPTE colour bar test pattern previously used by the CBC before reformat to a 24-hour network. This version, used in the early-2000s, includes an animated CBC logo in the lower center part of the test pattern.

After 12:30 a.m., the network airs a mix of repeats of earlier daytime programming and older programs...until 6 a.m.

Attached Files:

7. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Yes Radio-Canada does (that's the french CBC btw) and CBC as someone mentioned earlier as well. Radio-Canada just airs it's next day schedule along with some classical music.

8. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

There's tons of sign-ons/offs from yesteryear on YouTube. Maybe your local stations...

chilinvilin likes this.
  9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

You can read up here on exactly why the test pattern was created, and how it was used to basically "calibrate" early television cameras:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Head_test_card

I'm guessing that particular drawing was created because it was rich in detail (especially around the feathers, etc.), and therefore made a better "test" picture.

10. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

The last local (Portland OR) TV station that still signed off was KPTV channel 12 into the mid '90's. Infomercials ever since.

11. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

Whoa. Thanks very much for posting that link, David!

Dig this: "The original art work was completed for RCA by an artist named Brooks on August 23, 1938. The master art was improbably discovered in a dumpster by a wrecking crew worker as the old RCA factory in Harrison, NJ was being demolished in 1970. The worker kept the art for over 30 years, and then used the Internet to locate and sell it to a test pattern collector."

Now check this out: http://www.pharis-video.com/p4788.htm

12. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

13. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

14. Good! He'd be better off. I mean, wouldn't watching MTV for eternity with the Grim Reaper be comparable to some forms of Hell? :)

15. sotet

sotet New Member

I believe our local PBS station signs off, but it has been several years since I have seen it do it. Other than that, I think the rest stay on 24/7.

16. Just flipped through Star Choice Satelite's program guide. Only found the following stations off-air overnights.

CKPR - Thunder Bay, Ontario (CBC affiliate)
    CHFD - Thunder Bay, Ontario (CTV affiliate)
    CHEX - Peterborough, Ontario (CBC affiliate)
    SCN - Saskatchewan Communications Network (Saskatchewan's public TV)

As one of CBC Television's private affiliates, CKPR-TV airs a predominantly CBC schedule, but does not air the full network schedule at all times. In fact, CTV and Global programs not cleared by CHFD-TV, such as Survivor, can sometimes be seen on CKPR-TV.

CHFD is one of only three CTV-affiliated stations in Canada that are not owned and operated directly by CTV.

CHEX is an independent TV station but is an affililate of the CBC, carrying most of their programming.

The same company, Dougall Media, owns both Thunder Bay TV stations.

17. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Ah yes! As a kid in the 60's it was almost a sign of being a 'grown up' that you were up that late. Many a time I would wake up to a test pattern.

My favorite sign off played the National Anthem and various America scenes including the air launch of an X-15. I wish that I would find that one again.

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Always wondered why an Indian?

19. shokhead

20. shokhead

Attached Files:

21. shokhead

Attached Files:

22. shokhead

:)

Attached Files:

23. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I came across your post while looking for the same video;
    there is a 16mm copy on ebay today. It's expensive, though.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  24. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

$1000?

The guy may have a rare item but geez, that IS pricy.

25. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Well, at least it's good to know it's not completely lost.
    Apparently, it was specifically made for KGSC.
    If 10 Medley fans pony up $100 each, we may be seeing it on youtube soon.

Mister Charlie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.