Do you buy concert tickets in advance?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B_big!, May 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast Thread Starter

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I'm at the age where I hate to stay in line at the counter to get a ticket, and I'm too old too, to stand at a concert for 2 hours or even more. I've seen '(Sharon) Kovacs' last week and had to stand there for 1,5 hours. Though it was a great live gig of this young Dutch lady, I have to confess, that my back and the legs have hurt after 40 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Here are my tickets for November:

Mr. Randy Newman (2015-11-01) - one man and his piano, an experience each time (it's my 5th time)

[​IMG]

Mrs. Melody Gardot (2015-11-11) - one of my fave contemporary vocal jazz artists (it's my 3rd time)

[​IMG]

2. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Nice looking tickets! Better than the generic ones we usually get over here.
    One piece of advice, make sure the barcode is not visible when posting pictures of tickets. People can use that barcode to create their own tickets, shutting you out of the show.

B_big! likes this.
  3. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Buy in advance is the only option to get tickets now days it seems.
    I don't think it is possible to buy tickets at the counter for large events anymore in Sweden.

B_big! likes this.
  4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

B_big, you should ask a Gort to remove the ticket scans because of the bar codes. Just in case......

B_big! likes this.
  5. B_big!

Thanks for your useful hint, much appriciated! Changed the pictures! . [​IMG]

Gasman1003 and Popmartijn like this.
  6. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

i generally dont even need concert tickets. 99% of the bands im into at least *kinda* know me and waltz me in @ soundcheck.

7. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Most of the larger concerts I would buy in advance. Lesser known bands may be ok, but even then, why wait and take the chance and miss out?

B_big! likes this.
  8. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Gone are the days of standing in line. I stood in line all night to get tickets to see Elvis in Seattle. Had to drive down from Vancouver.

Rolltide likes this.
  9. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Funnily enough the last tickets I bought from a box office was for a Randy Newman show. I bought them on the first day to get front row seats on the left side of the circle so we could see Randy clearly. The show wasn't even close to being sold out and everyone was moved down to the stalls as Randy I guess didn't want to play to a half empty theater. Needless to say our front row seats on the left were moved to halfway up the stalls on the right side and we could only see half of Randy's face throughout the whole show as it was obscured by the piano.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    B_big! likes this.
  10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Sometimes you can get fantastic seats the week leading up to the concert. I've worked in ticket sales and seats get released for whatever reason - so sometimes if you miss the "on sale", there is still a chance.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Since 1974.

B_big! likes this.
  12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

At my age I would not inconvenience myself in any way to see a concert. Unless we're talking about Heino. But you already know that about me:D;).

B_big hooked me up with the elusive [to me] "Leibe Mutter" LP when we met here in NYC a few years ago:edthumbs:

And so as to maintain our friendship I must emphasize that B_big DOES NOT share my enthusiasm with Herr Heino!

:p

B_big! likes this.
  13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I don't recall ever buying a ticket at a counter to see anyone except a local band.

Got my Faith No More ticket for July's show in my desk drawer now.

B_big! likes this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

We've been talking about people standing at concerts in the Concert Snobs thread.

As I've alluded to there, I find it difficult standing for long periods due to a disability.

I saw McCartney Wednesday night and the audience stood for the entire show, which I expected but it did sour it for me a little. I've never understood the problem with sitting down at a concert!

I always buy tickets in advance to ensure I get the seats I want.

B_big! likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ditto.

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Yes, I usually buy tickets the moment they go on-sale. What I don't like is tickets going
    on-sale months in advance of the concert. That bothers me. I passed on the Who in
    Toronto because they went on-sale over 12 months in advance. Then they announced
    Joan Jett as the opener and now I'm trying to find a decent ducat.

B_big! likes this.
  17. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

This may sound counter-intuitve, but buying tix in advance motivates me into going to the show. I know that sounds obvious, but too many times in the recent past I've mulled over going to see a band for far too long a time, thinking that I'll just buy tickets the night of the show (this made sense when all the bands I wanted to see were obscure enough to do that), and then found out the show was sold out. My fault, of course, but I 've learned that spending money ahead of time means that I don't miss out. Since I have a fairly large lack of knowledge of what is actually popular, and since everyone seems to be clued in to the hip but unknown acts due to all that interweb activity, I just pay in advance and have one less worry.

Now figuring out which online ticket service has my tickets, and whether I need to print them out ahead of time...sheesh what a PITA (and truly a first world problem....)

B_big! likes this.
  18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I always pre-buy tickets to a show, unless it's a tiny club where you just walk in and pay cash.

B_big! likes this.
  19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, always. I don't want to risk a show being sold out.

B_big! likes this.
  20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ooh, Block A, 2nd row. Nice seat!

B_big! likes this.
  21. B_big!

Yep! It is! I ordered the ticket immediately when I received the notification from my on-line ticket provider. You can choose your seat there on a website showing a graphical seating plan, and this was the closest I could get!

wolfram likes this.
  22. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

as soon as possible to make sure I get tickets I want and be able to make plans for day of show

don't know how long tickets had been on sale but when I tried to get tickets for Penn & Teller an hour after I found about then coming to town I couldn't get 2 seats together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.