Do you catalog your vinyl collection? There's an app for that...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Embracetheday, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I know! I'm seriously considering it. Might fold and download it today at work.

2. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Discogs here. Works great.

3. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I'm not sure about the ability to view Discogs discography listings. I just use it to keep track of my own Discogs collection and want list; if I want to view Discogs discographies, I go to the Discogs web site. I would imagine as long as any older albums are on Discogs, it should work fine, but most of my stuff is late 60s - today. For me, it was well worth the $3.

4. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Like quite a few of you I also keep an excel spreadsheet - much easier. I even sometimes do "stock takes"!

5. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

DeRosa likes this.
  6. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

I use Discogs as well but don't have it connected to an app. That's the next step, figuring out which one. I'm constantly on their site on my phone when record shopping.

7. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Here's what I use. Unlimited storage. Works fast. And it's free.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and JasonA like this.
  8. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I used to use that app.

But now the storage capacity is insufficient. :cry:

MoonPanda and timmikid like this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Likewise, though my collection dwarves most people's here. If I were in the thousands I doubt my brain would be up to the task.

10. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

11. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Oy Vey! I just downloaded Discographics, and while it could use a few improvements, I'm already sorta loving it. AND, at the same time dreading how much time it's gonna take to put in my entire collection. This could be a win, win for both Discographics AND Discogs.com, as I'm already noticing missing year dates, covers that are incorrect, and it's driving me crazy so I just went in and fixed a cover. I've never done that before, so this might improve Discogs.com as well! The app needs a place to attach a note to the LP, such as "needs replacement cover, have a great copy of the LP", etc. or something like that. And can you add folders to the want list? I don't see how (as of yet, haven't dug too deep.)

And please, please, please, let us delete that unorganized folder. Holy crap do I hate when an app gives you folders you CAN'T rename or delete. It's ridiculous. I can almost understand the ALL folder, but unorganized?! Stupid.

12. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I've catalogued a database on Discogs as well -
    Is this Discographic App part from Discogs? If so - what does it do for you?

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, I only went the spreadsheet route because I have multiple pressings of the same album. Every permanent disc gets entered at the time of acquisition. It requires discipline, but like the recycles, you get use to it.

14. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Started out 40 years ago with a card file.

Then bought the "Organize You Own..." software who used to advertise in Goldmine and have used it ever since. Unfortunately, they're long out of business and it doesn't seem compatable with anything past Windows XP. With the size of my collections (and me being over 60) I don't think I want to start over so I'll just nurse an XP machine as best I can, offline of course.

15. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

HAHA! Mine needs more RAM, evidently!

HotHere and Jrr like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have wasted a lot of money rebuying albums and dvds I already had! Thanks for the tip!

17. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

Discogs + Milkcrate here.

18. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It's an app that pulls data from Discogs. Inside the app, you log into your Discogs account, and it gives you your collection, wantlist, etc. in a simplified interface. Much easier that navigating Discogs web pages on a small phone screen. Screen shots & info here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discographic/id979196369?mt=8

spaulding likes this.
  19. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I've had Collectorz for about 6 years now and absolutely love it. I'm up to about 11,000 items cataloged and the app has been life/money saver almost every trip out record shopping.

20. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Discogs and Microsoft Excel for me.

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

I started off on a Kaypro 16 in the mid-'80s; my software was called Squarenote. It stood me in good stead for many years, but eventually (a) I started bumping into the program's numerical limits on the number of records it could display at a time, and (b) the world moved on from DOS-compatible computers, and Squarenote was firmly anchored in the DOS world. Eventually I found the program I use now, Personal Knowbase, which pretty closely resembles Squarenote and, more importantly, was able to import my Squarenote datafiles.

Incidentally, when I was on Squarenote, I had two databases, one for LPs and one for cylinders and 78s. When I shifted to Personal Knowbase, I combined the two. There may well be better ways of doing things now, but with nearly 28,000 entries I'm not about to retype everything now.

22. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

[​IMG]

And just when you're super excited about Discographics, yet wondering why certain albums aren't showing up to add into your collection, you notice this sad little note at the bottom of the app. There goes $3! What in the world! Kinda makes the entire thing pointless???

23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

If Discogs would just make their own app, this would become much simpler immediately!

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

+1

25. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

I use CDPedia (and their others for books, DVDs and games), coupled with the Pocketpedia app by Bruji.com. It does cost, and it only works on Mac/iPhone but they are great catalogs and can pull in info from Discogs (or IMDB for DVDs for instance); they also have a lot of customizable fields. It's been fun to input data (nerdy hobby squared...) but their search database isn't always accurate. I think it's a husband-wife team that operates the whole thing and their customer support is awesome (considering it's just about the two of them doing it on the side).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.