Do you consider DJs/EDM artists to be musicians (lifted from another thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cubby, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cubby

Cubby Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello esteemed forum.

The "streaming will lead to poverty" thread has a conversation happening about DJs/EDM artists their place in music.

Some say that all they do is tap on a computer. Others say that they are as much musician as guitarists or drummers.

So I lifted that point to start a new thread, because I think it could generate an interesting and lively debate.

Hope that's OK.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Prime candidate for a poll.

To answer the question, of course they are. The problem will be that in a primarily rock crowd most will only be familiar with the crappy acts that ARE just button mashers.

3. Cubby

Thanks for replying. Don't think I can create a poll once a thread is started.

I'm going to plead ignorance because I have no idea how, say, Daft Punk creates their music. But I'm guessing it's more than just pushing buttons.

4. npc145

npc145 music junkie

All one has to do is listen to DJ Sahdow's - Endtroducing.....And the answer is yes.

[​IMG]

cc--, GLENN, Billy Infinity and 12 others like this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

No

dvcarrick likes this.
  6. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I actually avoided the question in the other thread as I wasn't sure if I did (although I considered them artists, which I think was really the big sticking point in that same thread).

However, when considering this deeper...are composers musicians? Because if the answer is "yes" then I would think DJ's would have to be considered musicians as well. EDIT: and as for EDM -- it's got "music" in the name so I would think that one's a no-brainer...musicians creating music.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  7. Synthfreek

What are you basing your response on? You've heard the album DJ Shadow - Endtroducing?

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have one DJ friend. I know how hard she works on getting a certain sound and flow. And I know how passionate she is about getting it. So - absolutely.

ralphb, Thurenity and Timmy84 like this.
  9. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

10. Synthfreek

The question is flawed because the answer of "no" is simply incorrect. It is just a person's reluctance to accept a fact.

11. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Others say that they are as much musician as hip-hoppers.

12. Cubby

You are right, I did phrase the question very simply.

13. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Musicians ? No. Composers? Yes.

smoke likes this.
  14. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Maybe we should define three words being bandied around - artist, composer, musician.

My gut feeling is that DJ's are artists and not necessarily musicians.

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I consider them comedians.

Coricama, Joe071, Regandron and 2 others like this.
  17. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Yes.

I think if you're a musician, you tend to either create a sound or try to make good use of whatever's in front of you.

The dismissal of DJ's not being musicians seems to spit in the faces of those like Kool Herc, Jam Master Jay and Grandmaster Flash, who really made deejaying an art form. So IMHO, they are musicians but I take it some of you who say "no" are anti hip-hop/EDM heads...

mantis4tons, veloso2 and Thurenity like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What do you call someone who hangs out with musicians?

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A drummer.

Some jokes never get old.

20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

What's greater - an artist or a musician?

21. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

EDM type dj's, who are creating their own stuff are musicians. They're just using more non traditional instruments like a computer, which can pretty
    much replicate any sound electronically. You still have to write the beat, the sound, the patterns. Some dude spinning easy listening hits while drinking pabst is not a musician. He's just there to select the next track to play. NO art there, no skill.

22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Do I need to....I don't consider DJ's musicians as per the original question - nothing will change that opinion.

Coricama and davmar77 like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They may be people that create aural art, but to me a musician is someone that does that by working with musical notes, not just software, sequences, and samples.

24. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Makers of electronic music are definitely musicians. Making music on computer is an extension of the electronic synth music back in the day, made with more convenient and versatile equipment.

If you have a synth keyboard that plugs into computer, you can input the sounds that way. Equally you can overdub your recordings with any instrument you want. It is not uncommon at all for bands to combine their live sound with modern computer equipment and mix on computer. The B-52's, for instance, did it on Funplex. A lot of people mix on Protools.

When playing live a lot of electronic bands (for instance Pendulum) actually do have live drummers and guitarists.

If you are an electronic musician you have probably learnt an instrument when you were younger. Personally, I play guitar, bass, drums and some keyboard and when I was younger I played clarinet and recorder, and those on top of all the music I listen to has given me knowledge of notes and rhythms etc.

That's not to say there isn't a lot of incredibly lazy crap made electronically, but that has more to do with what clubs want. There is lowest common denominator music in every genre you can think of.

On the subject of DJs being musicians, the only context I can think of is scratching, which is associated with old school hip hop and nu metal and seen as a cliché. So I guess they are in that sense. When it comes to the mixes, they do, they're probably more producers than musicians, but still often talented.

petem1966 and c-eling like this.
  25. Synthfreek

Honestly? Yes, I do think one should listen to an album (a classic mind you) before making snap judgments about it. It's probably not at all what you think it is. To say that someone who can create MUSIC such as this with such meager equipment is not a musician is crazy. I know this style isn't up your alley...this is coming from someone who owns and loves albums by Pretty Boy Floyd, Roxx Gang and Tigertailz. Open up and give it a shot. There is more to music than hard rock.

DJ Shadow - Stem/Long Stem (1996)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.