Do you prefer new LP releases or collecting vintage LPs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kai Roen, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I've just started to buy new releases or rerelease vinyl.
    But..I'll get original used vinyl in a heartbeat if available.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  2. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Original or early pressings are better, new reissues are often cut from digital files and sound horrible.

3. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

New. I want to be the first to play it, to take it out of the shrink. I don't want other people's old stuff. That being said I do have some used pressings that have not been reissued etc. But I do prefer new. I can't remember the last time I bought something used. :)

4. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Welcome to collecting. Hope you enjoy the ride.
    My personal preference is for the original or certainly very early issues. For example all the early Jethro Tull albums sound to me waaay better than the CD versions or more recent vinyl issues - though I do very much like the Steven Wilson remix of Aqualung. Same goes for quite a few albums that were released in the late 60's or early 70's. There is just something special about the sound of most records from that period. For example I'm currently playing an original copy of Roxy Music. Absolutely stunning.
    Having said that, I will buy vinyl by current artists and also when some special remix or remaster has been done. The 50th anniversary edition of Sgt Pepper is a prime example where in my view the new version exceeds the original stereo version - though the mono is still my preferred option.
    I have to say that one of the really great things about this hobby is the thrill of finding an original in great condition. We can all order our shrink wrapped pristine new vinyl from Amazon or wherever but nothing quite matches the thrill of finding an original you have been after for months or even years.
    Good luck in your quest.

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Always go for the original authentic releases.
    Also collect a number of assorted new releases and remasters.

6. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

vintage 99%

:shh:

Marc Perman likes this.
  7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Vintage.

I've had so many problems with new vinyl that I don't bother anymore unless the CD version is unlistenable or it's the only way of obtaining the material.

8. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Both.

The bummer right now is anything vinyl is over priced. So a few years ago you could buy records by famous bands and maybe pay 2-5 dollars now everything has skyrocketed and used vinyl is over priced.

There are still deals on eBay all the time but you get hit with shipping plus you are always at the mercy of the seller being honest.

Generally you can’t go wrong with new vinyl but we all want originals so it’s just a game to see what you can find and for how much

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like both. There are many new titles on vinyl, which I enjoy hearing and collecting.

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Buying used LPs on line can be quite a crapshoot but I used to find a lot of nice vintage records at local shops. That seems harder to do now. Used vinyl is more pricey now and much more often noisy in my experience.

Many reissue labels are doing a great job these days, sometimes maybe even exceeding the quality of originals ( MoFi, AP, Audio Fidelity, Speakers Corner, Analog Spark, Intervention, Rhino even Legacy and MOV). I now have better luck with reissues with much less effort. Still love a good original pressing though.

DPC likes this.
  11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Depends.

12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Maybe I'm weird but the feel of new vinyl in my hands doesn't turn me on the same way as the original. Bought Moondance reissue the other day and while it's nice sounding I just don't feel the same magic as when I'm holding the 1970 original LP.

13. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

These days, I prefer second-hand CDs. The peak time for buying LPs was the 1990s, when no one wanted them.

John and c-eling like this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I am about 30% used and rest bought new, but many of those were bought new from early 70s onward. A lot of reissues I have are records that come from mid 80's onward and I suspect even the originals had some digital element in the recording and mastering chain. With earlier pressings preference would be originals depending on availability and cost. However there are many recent reissues that are all analogue or very well done digital. May sound different but that doesn't mean the original is better. Obviously a mint original of a well mastered album is difficult to improve on. Lack of nr mint originals and price has pushed me towards new reissues since 2010. Often I buy duplicate reissues if they are of high quality, to compare with the originals, and you get a pristine copy in most cases. Of course there is plenty of new music to be purchased on vinyl as well as 'classic rock' reissues.

15. Classicrock

I really like the Tull reissues while still slightly preferring early pressings. Never going to beat a first pressing of Stand Up. With Roxy there is no decent reissues that stand up. The original Island pink rims are essential for the first 3 albums. However for someone buying today they are getting scarce (in great shape) and way too expensive.

correctodad likes this.
  16. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Both, but my collection is probably around 60 - 40 in favour of new releases / reissues. I love 50s and 60s American Jazz and for me collecting originals is expensive and difficult via the internet, and so I am more than happy with reissues from Music Matters, Analogue Productions, Impex etc

I also collect 60s/70s rock and blues titles and whilst its very cool to have an EX original in your collection that is becoming more and more expensive. So again I'm happy with reissues here too where originals are difficult to obtain.

In my experience reissues can be better than originals and of course its on a case by case basis. A couple of years ago I needed to downsize the collection a bit and get rid of some duplicates - in many cases the original was sold and I kept the reissue.

17. sami

sami Mono still rules

New records are a last resort if a clean original is either impossible to find or ridiculously priced.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

18. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

Well I tend to do both depending on what my local record shop has. Just picked up Neil Young Harvest for £12 in great nick so good I also picked up Ozzy Osbourne speak of the devil for £12. Both were make at £15 but the guy in shop charge me £25.

19. Classicrock

Harvest happens to be one of those were the reissue c2009 sounds better than the original. Still available from around £20. In the recent past originals were generally around a fiver. Also depends what you got for £12 (first UK or German reissue, with insert + gatefold?).

20. Kai Roen

Kai Roen Forum Resident Thread Starter

So you mean that all vinyl records released after 1985 sounds horrible?
    And you also mean that no new music sounds great on vinyl?

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Many people here think both those things. The rest of us disagree. Don't let them stop you.

If a decent copy of a vintage LP is available at a reasonable price, that's my preference, but I won't turn up my nose at a well done reissue. Some reissues are just silly, though: a couple years ago, I came across a new reissue of Phil Seymour's debut album in the new release bins...then walked across the store and found two NM copies of the original in the dollar bins.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I think most your questions got answered in your previous thread Kai
    No point of buying new LPs?
    This is on the verge of becoming a Vs. thread.

23. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I look at it as digital era vs analogue era music and in short, it's usually a case-by-case thing.

So for analogue era music, I much prefer used, original (preferably) pressings since I think that's one of the main (albeit not only) points of the format i.e. genuine analogue sound. I will look to new reissues if it's something I really want and:

- it's deemed to be well mastered and a good pressing
    - an original is really scarce and/or expensive

In other words, I am not a "AAA or no way" guy.

With contemporary music, I have and do buy vinyl although sadly it's often for the wrong reason (i.e. the CD is brickwalled). There is something nice about getting something brand new (ignoring all the scuffs, warps and poor pressings) but in short, I probably prefer buying used vintage LPs.

FWIW my collection is currently 31% new, 69% used.

24. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Vintage every time.

25. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I buy both but lean heavily to vintage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.