Do you remember sky?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident Thread Starter

any fans of the band sky? the band that had classical guitarist john williams in, along with the great herbie flowers.
    i seem to recall a lot of the classical crowd weren't impressed with williams being part of this project.
    i quite liked some of their tracks, especially from the first 3 lps.

here they are on top of the pops!

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I was just thinking of my favourite Sky song, Scipio, when this thread popped up. Here's a video with some nice scenery too:

Folknik and Yovra like this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow, I had forgotten all about Sky. Thanks for jogging my memory.

4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Everyone interested in them knows their catalogue is being remasterd and expanded with bonus DVDs, etc., right? Sky2 is out and Sky3 will be released on the 26th of this month.

I friend of mine in 1980-81 lent me one of their albums and I loved it, though at the time I was never able to find any album to buy myself. So for years they've been a pleasant memory. Seeing and watching them now, well, they're enjoyable but, to be honest, not quite as good as I remember.

5. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Sky were a great band...... with the great Herbie Flowers ( Bolan, Bowie, Lou Reed )
    Had a cassette of theirs, played it to death

Folknik likes this.
  6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Sure I remember them. I saw a Sky live concert on the telly back in 1980-81 (most likely the one that's now available on the expanded Sky 2 CD) and have been sort of a fan ever since. I don't think it's more than two or three weeks since I last played Sky 2 which is my favourite album of theirs.

7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Having watched (most of) that DVD, I can't confirm it's the one you're thinking of, of course, but I'm pretty sure it's one I remember seeing on tv from that time.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Picked up the first album in a charity shop a few months ago, on the Success / Pickwick label, 16030CD. Nice album. Toccata was the big hit off their later release in the UK however. This is the Volume 2 release below, but is identical in design to mine.

[​IMG]

9. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

My Dad had pretty much every Sky LP. I used to love hearing it around the house when I was a kid. Dance of the Little Faries was great'

Folknik and jwoverho like this.
  10. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Me too. I still have the first 3 albums, both on LP and CD, but haven't played them in years. I really liked these albums back in the day. Music with Obvious classical influences that rocks just enough in places to attract attention of the rock crowd.

Terrific musicianship, esp on Sky3, which remains my favourite album of theirs. I remember i being OOP for a long time, but was lucky enough to pick up a near mint copy in a second hand shop for next to nothing, at a time when a CD copy of this album demanded over 20 or 30 dollars on Ebay.

11. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Oh.I thought this thread was about Doug Feiger.

My bad.

12. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I liked the first three albums (the first one in particular) but from Sky 4 onwards I lost interest.

I went backstage at one their concerts here in 1981 and got to meet each of them. John Williams and Tristan Fry were very welcoming and chatty. Steve Gray on the other hand I found to be very curt.

Orthonormal likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I am not familiar with the music, but I remember the cool logo.

14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Great band of brilliant musicians! I have 4 of their albums.

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Big fan. Got all their albums.
    Look on amazon.co.uk to see they have remastered the entire Sky albums and included DVDs & extra tracks.

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That was the only real Sky

irender likes this.
  17. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

You've missed Sky Five Live. Great album, hard to find on CD.

Folknik likes this.
  18. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Kevin Peek, is that you, dissing your former band? :laugh:

Sky ... gawd, I remember how Toccata was played quite a bit on the telly and radio back in the day. The Sky and Sky 2 LPs are still plentiful supply over here in the Antipodes; every man and his dog must have bought copies. I know I did, up to Sky 5 Live.

On CD I have two versions of Sky 2: one has 11 tracks (with a run time of 71:26) and the other has 13 tracks (at 79:29). I also have Masterpieces, and a double CD labelled Best Of Sky that is actually Sky 1 and Sky 2 combined. Pretty sure I have a Sky 3 CD somewhere.

Out of all of these, I think Sky 2 holds up best, with songs like Sahara, Hotta, Scipio and Toccata. Some of their stuff can get pretty cheesy, IMHO.

--Geoff

19. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

A great band, hard to categorise, although I tend to lump them in as prog-lite kind of band, but regularly given an airing in this household. Really enjoying the reissues, and looking forward to a proper release of Sky 5Live, rather then the vinyl sourced entity I currently play.

Saw them in 1982 or so (possibly 83) at Blackpool and thought they were excellent.

Sad to hear about Kevin Peek's financial misdemeanours and his untimley death, it all casts a bit of a shadow over his career.

Philip

20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have the vinyl Sky box set and I haven't played that in probably 25 years, so I really should pull it out..thanks for the reminder!

21. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

The reissues of Sky and Sky2 are really nicely done. The sound is good and the DVDs collect televised stuff (apparently the Westminster Abbey show will be on one of the next reissues).

For me they got less interesting once Francis Monkman left after Sky2, but I am sure I will end up buying all the reissues!

22. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

So, got all the reissues, with two live DVDs due. One is the latter period Nottinghma show (post Williams) as a CD/DVD double pack and the other is an expanded version of the German TV set that's been around. Sadly you have to buy a 2 CD Best Of to get it!!!!

Philip

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the band you guys are talking about, but I am immensely relieved you're not referring to the Canadian band of the same name from the late 90's....

:p

24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Tristran (he played on "A Day in the Life", folks) Fry's amazing drumming on 'Toccata' has always given me a thrill.

Wasn't Rick Wakeman a member of the band at one time?

25. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Recently found this version (German Sonopress CD on Ariola):

Sky (4) - Sky

... and I must say it sounds really good. That moment Kevin Peek enters with his electric guitar in Carillon sounded incredibly nice just a minute ago. I once had this one on the Music Club label and I never liked the sound of it but this does.

Anyone know wether Sky 2 was also released on cd by Ariola ? I have the Caste edition: Sky (4) - Sky 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.