Do you remember the moment you became a fan of your now favorite group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA-Chuck G, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

hearing "Leave The Capital" by The Fall on the radio. Oddly enough, at the time I had actually just left London.

irong likes this.
  2. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I had heard of Genesis before, and even had the Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot repackaged set from Buddah but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Then I heard (the brand new song at the time) "Behind The Lines" at a friend's place and he then introduced me to A Trick of the Tail and I was hooked.

peter fuller likes this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

A simple sudden moment was seeing The Boredoms live in the mid 90s, Brixton. I already had the Wow 2 CD, but never connected with it. Seeking them live really was a WOW moment that I will never forget. I didn't even really know what it was that I was witnessing– because it was incomprehensible to me. Thrilling, dangerous and beyond my current understanding of how things could be done.

4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Remembering would not be hard, but defining the exact moment might be... For some of my favourite groups it was the first time I ever heard their music, which is simple enough to date; for others it was more of a gradual thing, from liking to loving, from a casual listener to a fan, and it's these who are considerably more difficult to pin down.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  5. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Obviously I had heard of him before, but the moment I became an actual fan of David Bowie was when The Next Day was announced. Obviously there was a lot of media attention for it at the time, and I thought hmm, maybe I should check out his whole discography.

Four years and a half later and I'm still equally obsessed with him. :)

6. I certainly remember the first time I heard Laura Nyro sing "The Bells". I had her first album for a few years and eventually decided I needed more. So the 1997 anthology it was, Amazon suggested I should add Gonna Take A Miracle to my order as well. That was the album I ended up playing first. After 2 songs I was a fan and within 2 months I had her entire output.

royzak2000 and notesofachord like this.
  7. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

May 2, 2015 when I saw Richard Thompson, for the first time, in concert.

Sordel and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  8. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

King Crimson
    Loved In The Court Of The Crimson King when it was released.
    Then, never gave the band any love after that.
    This past fall, I was listening to Court and thought I should revisit them.
    I listened to Red but it didn't excite me that much.
    Then got Live In Toronto CD this past Christmas.
    Boy...did the light go off in my head then.
    It all clicked.
    Have explored all studio albums, officially released live albums.
    Going to see them this summer.....it is bordering on obsession now.
    Glen

9. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Groups usually leave me cold very quickly and following the later careers of ex-members is hit and miss. So I'm going for a pseudonym group, which was impossible for the talented member to leave:).
    I first heard Smog's 'A river ain't too much to love' after reading about Bill Callahan in some magazine and taking the rare plunge of buying a physical copy. 'Running the loping' was the bait and 'Rock bottom riser' the snare

asdf35 likes this.
  10. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

Lou Reed-in car when a song came on radio.refused to leave car until DJ said who song was by. Song was lisa says.great fan since.

Richard Thompson-the moment I heard the song The Calvary Cross.someone had given us a mixed tape( to play in the van while we were on tour).i had never heard him before and great fan since.

Subvet, AKA-Chuck G and Johnny Rocker like this.
  11. During a job interview it came to light that the manager who was interviewing me loved music as much as I did. I honestly think it played a part in my getting the job a week later. Within a few short weeks we developed a really great relationship, which ended up becoming a lifelong friendship. Anyway, it was the summer of 1976 and he invited my wife and I over to his place for dinner and a music session. I walked into his room and saw H/K Citation amps, a Tascam R2R, a Linn TT and some gorgeous Tannoy speakers. We sat down, poured a drink and he started up the Tascam. Holy crap! What a sound! Who is that I asked? Bugger kept me waiting for an answer until it was almost done. Finally after about 3 snifters of Grand Marnier had found their way down my throat, he said: The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination. I've been a fan ever since.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Sviatoslav Richter

éder and Johnny Rocker like this.
  13. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Easy peasy:

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Oh, the other biggie was when I turned on the TV one night when I was 13 and saw this:

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  15. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

1964. I was six years old and saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

16. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I had the Byrds singles but when I heard the first two albums it was all over!

17. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I don't have one:help:.

18. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

This, Old Grey Whistle Test, late Feb 1975:

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  19. Stanshallogist

Stanshallogist Forum Resident

I remember like it was yesterday, 1.... 2.... 3.... FOUR (taxman intro) and I have been a Beatles fan ever since!

AKA-Chuck G and Johnny Rocker like this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

21. DeadLoss

DeadLoss Well-Known Member

Summer 1971. Sounds music magazine had an article on The Detroit Scene. It featured MC5, Stooges, and Alice Cooper. I'd never heard of them before, but I was fascinated. The MC5, and Stooges (especially Iggy's photographic shenanigans), sounded really exciting, but it was Alice Cooper who mesmerized me. Then in November, of that year, I finally heard AC on The Old Grey Whistle Test. Wow. I was hooked.

22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

The Beatles - Feb 9th, 1964...
    Ed Sullivan Show, Sunday night on CBS

Lightworker likes this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

When I saw Negativland perform at DC Space, in the late-80's....
    I knew I'd follow these guys to the gates of hell!

24. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Why yes, yes I do.......Btw the Hollies rock, I saw a few vids of em' and they played hit songs that I thought that it was somebody else. far out.[​IMG]

AKA-Chuck G and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.