Do you remember the moment you became a fan of your now favorite group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA-Chuck G, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The first time I heard the mono 45 'hit' version of "You're Gonna Miss Me" by The Thirteenth Floor Elevators
    on a promo copy of Lenny Kaye's original Nuggets album at my college radio station in late 1972.

[​IMG]

2. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This started obsession

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  3. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Hendrix
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
    Jeff Beck
    Janis Joplin
    Allman Brothers
    Miles Davis
    Charlie Parker
    Nirvana

All my favorites and all have one other thing in common.. ....It was love at first listen. Not gradual build up or repeat listens to try and "get it". They all became favorites from the off!!

DTK and Johnny Rocker like this.
  4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

When the band I was in at the time (1990) wanted to do Comfortably Numb. Up until that time I owned no Pink Floyd. I learned it note for note and became an instant fan.

5. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

When I heard this:

rockerreds, vince, éder and 2 others like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

December 9, 1978 was when I saw Kate Bush on Saturday Night Live. I had to find an album by her the very next day, and did at Peaches Records at 75th and Metcalf.

This event, more than any other, has defined my life. It led me into editing video, and meeting Vickie, another Kate fan who became my wife of 34 years.

7. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

One of best friends in college loved the dead and I remember American Beauty, Workingman's Dead and From the Mars Hotel getting a lot of play time during party time. :wave:

Johnny Rocker and notesofachord like this.
  8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I saw the Cars on ABC Fridays in 1982. I liked them immediately. Three years later after seeing them on Live Aid and acquiring the first album on cassette, they've been my favorite band ever since.

highway chile likes this.
  9. AKA-Chuck G

I loved the way Lowell sang. One of a kind.

10. AKA-Chuck G

This is true most of the time but sometimes that moment for some artist does stick out.

I love Richard Thompson for example but can not pin it down to the when....

Subvet likes this.
  11. AKA-Chuck G

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Generally I equate both events as the same. I can't think of a song I had heard for these artists where it wasn't the start of fandom of some kind.

That's not a dig at this thread btw, just that I replied to this question in another thread so I just linked to it.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  13. AKA-Chuck G

You may missed the point but why reply if you always "get it" right off the bat?

I got the Hollies, or so I thought, but something made me respect them more than the casual fan based on just radio singles.

14. That's funny. I got into Dylan through the same song performed by Bryan Ferry.

Archtop likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the first time i heard suite: judy blue eyes, and that was it.

AKA-Chuck G and notesofachord like this.
  16. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I was a junior in highschool heavily into Hendrix, Cream etc. A friend of mine says "you like good music?" Uh yeah... Come over my house after school today. He puts on King Crimson Court Of The Crimson King". What a rush! Never heard anything like it! Been hooked ever since! Thanx Byrd where ever you are.

17. AKA-Chuck G

I also love COTCK. They are not in my top tier and like mentioned earlier, I had trouble getting into the later stages of the band.

William Smart likes this.
  18. William Smart

I had trouble getting into the stuff in the 80s then I seen Belew play with KC. OMFG! I believe there's a video on YouTube of Indiscipline live in Frejus. It will give you a taste of Belew's genius. Give it shot let me know if you dig it. Peace, Iam

19. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

USA Network
    Video Concert Hall

20. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Let me know when it's time to.......
    Do you remember the moment you stopped being a fan of your former favorite group?

21. William Smart

My Man! You have been saved! You have seen the light. Long Live The King! The Crimson King! OK nuff of that. I have heard that so many times! Once you get it you become obsessed! Been like that since 73 or so. I love the Belew era but it took seeing him perform live to get it! Fripp always gets the best musicians and gets their best work. I would love to have seen Fripp, Belew and Holdsworth together. Gods what they could produce would be epic! Peace, Iam

22. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

i was a kid, 13 years old, and i discover the song Waiting For The Sun by The Doors, it was amazing!

later Morrison Hotel was my 1st album i bought

and 20 years later i still can't listen a complete and proper release of the matrix tapes

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  23. Tippy

Tippy Well-Known Member

Bruce Springsteen. Listening to the Live At The Winterland bootleg in the fall of '82.

24. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Senior Member

I can't remember the moment or the song but I remember it was hearing AC/DC's Back in Black album that made me a lifetime fan.

25. Katroula

Katroula New Member

mine is Pearl Jam also .. i remember the first time i saw them on MTV and i was hooked. I wanted more .. over 20 years later and im still their No. 1 fan xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.