Do you remember the moment you became a fan of your now favorite group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA-Chuck G, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I was the same, then I got it! I got it bad lol. Bruford and Belew are insane, Levin is soooo freaking amazing and Fripp the mad Ringmaster! All the fun of the circussssss! Be well, Iam

2. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Karen Carpenter was amazing love her voice and not a bad drummer. What a tragedy. Peace, Iam

3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Some yes and some no. Great question/exercise. King's X, Maiden...can't put a finger on THE moment. I actually didn't love Bruce's vocals when I used to play my best friend's copy of Piece of Mind. Then Powerslave came out and I pounced on it. That may have been the first album I ever ANTICIPATED coming out and bought on release day. I was 13. King's X just didn't sound like anything else I had heard before and that intrigued me.

I fell for Opeth in the first 30 seconds of Blackwater Park. The death metal vocals I used to dread clicked for me right away when Mikael opened his mouth.

William Smart likes this.
  4. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I remember picking up my first Beatles 'album' - Magical Mystery Tour in the late 80s. I didn't become a proper fan until I bought my 2nd Beatles album a couple of years later. I called up my friend immediately as the album finished - "You've got to come over now and listen to Abbey Road, it has this medley thing at the end that you are just going to love."

William Smart and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I bought Boris' Pink when it came out. I'd never heard their music before. I put the CD on in the car and at about 1:18 is when I knew I was hooked. They're masters of balancing the quiet and the powerful. One of my absolute favorite bands.

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Here's another one. Dad took my brother and I to the cinema when this was released. We loved it and Dad bought us the single.
    Klytus, I'm bored...

7. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Great story Steve, thanks for posting. My Nov 4 1980 wasn't quite as cool. I was in my 4th full day of Navy boot camp, ha ha.

AKA-Chuck G and Gasman1003 like this.
  8. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Thanks Ed, great to hear from you :righton:

My younger son is hoping to join the Royal Navy when he finishes his master's degree.

He has passed all his interviews and assessments so far, just the big one to come, "The Admiralty Interview Board"

It's one hell of a tough selection process, but hey that's right and proper, and I don't need to tell you that!!

I wish him well, he is finally really enthused about something, and what a great, worthwhile career.
    Anyway, he has left nothing in the locker room in his attempt.

I sincerely have deep admiration for all you guys who serve/have served in the armed forces to keep the rest of us safe and free.

Subvet likes this.
  9. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Thanks Steve. That's great, about your son, and I wish him all the best.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  10. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Thanks Ed, yeah, fingers crossed!!

Subvet likes this.
  11. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Subvet and Gasman1003 like this.
  12. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

My favorite artist isn't a group. (Actually none of my top three is a group.)

I became a fan of my favorite artist when my grandfather gave me a copy of this album in the early 1970s:

[​IMG]

rockerreds, HenryFly and Gasman1003 like this.
  13. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Probably when I watched my first Beatles cartoon at the age of 6? A very very long time ago. :)

14. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

When I was 9 or 10, a spent the night at a friends house. This would have been '81 or '82.
    He played his brother's cassette of Moving Pictures the whole night while we played board games.

I was hooked.

The other would have to be receiving "1984" for my 12th birthday in Jan. of 1984. I wore the grooves off that record.

ODShowtime likes this.
  15. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

They had me at "Okay..."

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I was always a Stones fan, growing up listening to my parents' older LPs, but up until 1980 or so, KISS was probably my favorite band (I imagine I was right in the middle of their merchandising target demographic). Then, when I was in 8th grade, Tattoo You came out, and for the first time I experienced the Rolling Stones as a current band (my folks probably stopped listening to their new music by 1970 or so). This album opened the flood gates and I started building my own Rolling Stones record collection and learning (reading) as much about the band as I could digest.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I think I can pin-point the exact moment. I was in a van with my friend and his dad. We were driving to my friend's house and Stairway to Heaven came on the radio. The dad let us know that this was important and the music coming over the airways reinforced this notion.

We arrived home and pulled into the garage and it was clear he wasn't turning off the van until the song was over. I didn't want to leave. It was a musically climactic event that I'll never forget it. I still get chills from that song.

It was a year or two later that things picked up, but the seed was sown. Probably around 1990.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Heard a live version of Won't Get Fooled Again on radio.

ODShowtime likes this.
  19. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I bought a Mike Stern cassette for 25p in the HMV sale because Steve Kahn produced it and I was into Khan at the time...it was the start of a 30 year love affair! ;)

I don't think I've listened to Steve Khan ever since.

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9 February 1964.

Brian Kelly likes this.
  21. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Hearing "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You" and "All My Loving" on constant rotation on the radio when i was 5 years old!!!!!

22. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

In the mid-70s I used to listen to a college radio station (KUOR Redlands), and one of the DJs used to play a lot of songs from Budgie. He mentioned that their first album was produced by the same guy who did Black Sabbath (Rodger Bain) so of course I had to seek it out. I eventually found a copy at a used record store for a dollar (!) and practically wore it out on the stereo. I've been hooked ever since.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Seeing and hearing the video for Evenflow

24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

1. Popped in an 8-Track of The Best Of The Beach Boys Vol. 1 when I was like 8 yrs old.
    2. Heard "Emotional Rescue" on the overhead in the Rec Center gym while shooting hoops as a kid.
    3. Making out with a girl in a Chevy Celebrity while she was playing the One For The Road cassette.

25. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

When I first heard the album, Meet the Beatles! in 1974.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.