Do You Think Billy Squire Sounded Like Led Zeppelin?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm very, very surprised a few think they're random names out of a hat. I think Billy Squire sounds the closest to Led Zeppelin for multiple reasons, but another poster raised the possibility that those listening to music around that time are less likely to agree, so if you want to add any additional information to get more accurate results.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Personally, I would say Billy Squire isn't close to anything sounding like Led Zeppelin.

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

4. Bingo Bongo, Zeki and Fischman like this.
  5. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I'll let Dan and Tim give my answer:

[​IMG]

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

7. MortSahlFan

I promise to never do a poll with the words "Led Zeppelin" or "Billy Squire" again :)

Anyway, I'd love to hear your reasoning if you have the time.

8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I would never confuse the two, but I definitely hear strong similarities. It sounds to me like he very deliberately took cues from Robert Plant vocally but stopped just short of imitation. “Lonely is the Night” in particular could almost pass for a Led Zeppelin song if not for the clean commercial production and 80’s arena rock chorus.

Dreaddazzman, DiabloG, J_D__ and 5 others like this.
  9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, but I always thought Everybody Wants You was Aerosmith.

Crimson Witch, uzn007 and MikeInFla like this.
  10. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

On tale of the tape he did

young girls sounds very Led Zep light to me :)

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I could see that one.

Matthew Tate and MortSahlFan like this.
  12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Y’all need a QTip if you can’t hear the Led Zeppelin influence. Maybe you’ve only heard the hits, but still.

13. MortSahlFan

Same here. Although I had a friend who did confuse the two when he first heard them in my car, asking me "Is this Zeppelin?".... The local DJ at the biggest radio station thought "Friend of Mine" (Guess Who) were The Doors, which surprised me because he is very knowledgeable. I played the same song weeks later and my cousin kept saying "It's gotta be The Doors!"

I think the songs that sound most like Led Zeppelin would be "Lonely Is The Night" and "My Kinda Lover"

DiabloG and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Off the top of my head, I could think a few bands from then that sound more like Zeppelin. Heart. Great White. Whitesnake. Fastway. Later on Kingdom Come. Those bands sound way closer to Zeppelin than Billy Squire ever did.

15. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Billy Squire.....never heard of him.

Jimmy B., therockman, furmanu and 5 others like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A little LZ, The Who and Humble Pie all mixed in together.
    Played a Sunburst Les Paul to boot.

17. JJFlash

JJFlash Forum Resident

They sound nothing alike, in my opinion.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

A big NO on this poll.

Squier obviously has some Zeppelin influence in his music, at least from some aspects of what Zeppelin did, but he doesn't sound like Zeppelin, no. No one does, really.

Crimson Witch and phonograph like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO..not even a poor man's...

Crimson Witch, ARK and therockman like this.
  20. MortSahlFan

I thought I'd do a quick Google search and got this quote from Rolling Stone magazine (never read this until 2 seconds ago)

"With his brash vocals, clanging guitar riffs and arena-shaking beats, Squier ably filled the immediate hard-rock void left by Led Zeppelin, who’d disbanded following John Bonham’s death in September 1980. Don’t Say No, Squier’s breakthrough 1981 album, went triple platinum partly because of “Lonely Is the Night,” which sounded like a more radio-friendly reinterpretation of the 1976 Zep track “Nobody’s Fault but Mine.” “I was very humbled by the ‘one-man Led Zeppelin’ comparisons,” Squier reflected in a 2006 interview. “They were a band of staggering proportion and incredible vision.” As the impressive push-and-pull dynamics (and Bonham-esque drum punctuations) of “Lonely Is the Night” attest, Squier spent many hours painstakingly dissecting that vision."

12 Artists Who Ripped Off Led Zeppelin

limoges likes this.
  21. MortSahlFan

The first song off of Jimmy Page's solo album "Outrider" has the song "Wasting My Time" and I think the first 13 seconds sounds like Page is communicating to Squire, which sounds so much like "Everybody Wants You"

22. Who are the 12 Artists? "Ripped Off" is a bit harsh, influenced by is more apt.

23. dude

dude Senior Member

It falls into the camp of many 80's rock bands who were influenced by them and latched on to say, just one aspect of their music and so people thought they were like them. But in reality not so much at all.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  24. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Nope - never associated Zep with Billy Squire.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've heard it said that "Lonely Is The Night" is the best Led Zeppelin single ever, it just happened to be done by Billy Squier. Whoever said that had a point. :laugh:

It's almost a no-brainer to say that Squier sounded like Zeppelin. I mean, just about EVERY mainstream rock act at that time owed something to Zeppelin.

ianuaditis, wiseblood, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.