Do you think Warren Zevon should be in the R&R HOF?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by utopiarun, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia" Thread Starter

It seems to me that every time a R&R HOF discussion comes up whether or not on this board, the name Warren Zevon comes up as someone who should be in. But should he? I say no.

Zevon was an excellent songwriter and outstanding lyricist but as far as I know he wasn't a big influence on other artists and he didn't really sell a lot of records (one top 10 album and one hit single).

His voice was adequate and not sure of his ability on piano, I haven't heard him described as a virtuoso.

So, please make your argument, yay or nay?

Please don't turn this into a "the rock hall is a joke, etc" thread or "If Madonna is in, then Zevon should be", let's just take the hall as if it wasn't a joke and rate WZ on his merits.

2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

No.Give it enough time though and he may make it in.I don't know how the Hall can keep admitting people year after year when in fact most of the deserving are already there.Along with some not.Who the hell is Warren Zevon?

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Individual creativity doesn't get you far with the R&R Hall. Mindless pop (pomp) and circumstance does it though. They have to put someone in every year deserving or not or else how would they keep the TV show going?

4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Sure. Who cares.

amcaudio, Kate_C., Keith V and 4 others like this.
  5. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

As I said in another HOF thread, Warren Zevon and Ian Hunter are the two greatest songwriters not in the hall. If you don't think Warren was influential, induct him and see who clamors to be in the band that showcases his songs during the ceremony.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Great songwriter and I love his voice. But I don't care anything about the Hall and neither does he.

ExHead, jeffd7030, Chazzbo13 and 3 others like this.
  7. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

He's in my Hall Of Fame. :righton:

8. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Of course he should, next question.

9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Enjoy every sandwich and if you have an extra sandwich that's gone bad shove it up the nether orifice of the RRHOF is my carefully considered position.

[​IMG]

10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

By the age of 13, Zevon was an occasional visitor to the home of Igor Stravinsky, where he briefly studied modern classical music alongside Robert Craft...

Yeah I'm thinking he may have picked up some skills along the way. I love his piano comps.

Additionally, he was a GREAT lyricist.

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

He's in that great big hall of fame in the sky, screw the other one.

A6mzero, Stone Turntable and lwh1 like this.
  12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It's not the virtuoso hall of fame.

Bluesman Mark, DTK and Jackson like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

without question.

ever sit down and peruse his catalog? the man was genius.

when you look at who is in, and you know that zevon is not, you realize what a joke jann wenner has made of something that could/should have been wonderful.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  14. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

The HOF is a tv show. It gets its ratings and money by having the artist being honored actually showing up. No money in inducting a dead guy when there are living artists from the same era that could sell tickets and advertising.

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

paul simon is in, disregard his work with garfunkel because they are in as a duo, and compare his solo work to zevon.

it immediately answers the question.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He is great but I don't think he rose to the needed level of fame for a 70s artist to make it in, though certainly some less famous 50's artists have.

seed_drill likes this.
  18. ocd1

ocd1 Well-Known Member

Well said

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

He's in my Hall of Fame. But my Hall of Fame and the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame are very different.

A6mzero and bobc like this.
  20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

You decide...

21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Eventually everybody'll get in. It's become the equivalent of "you're all winners" participation trophy... so many folks who aren't really rock n roll are already in while Link Wray cools his heels (figuratively; RIP Link)... I'd much rather Warren was in over some of the non-rock acts that are already enshrined... how many are inducted per year? The maths say all will get in at this rate... color me cynical

22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

At this point, it's the Rock & Roll Hall of Adequacy, so sure.

Kate_C. likes this.
  23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"Werewolves Of London" is what he will always be remembered for. That's the shorthand.

The complete answer is: Listen to the albums Warren Zevon s/t, Excitable Boy, and Stand In The Fire.

His entire oeuvre is something to be proud of, but those three are what qualify him.

Randy Newman and Tom Waits have been inducted. Why not Warren Zevon?

24. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

[​IMG]

25. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Another great thread about how somebody shouldn't be or is not worthy of something.

I remember an interview with Warren after he found out he was sick. He was in a cab on his way to a Letterman show and he mentioned the recent outpouring of love and attention shown to him and he wondered out loud "...where were you before I was sick?". So I'm guessing he wouldn't care either way. But personally there have been much worse choices in recent years. These days, would anyone notice anyway?

No matter, from the Everly Brothers to "The Wind", it was a pretty good run for a rather, at times, very unpleasant person.

Bluesman Mark, Subvet, ccbarr and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.