Do you use a subwoofer for stereo playback?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiofiles, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Please disregard, I see another posted has explained about the banana plug option. Could not figure a way to cancel this thread post.

2. SandAndGlass

Agreed, a lot of people poo-poo the Polks, but I believe that economy of scale allows them to manufacture on a large scale which translates as more bang for the buck for the end user. Polk has never set them up to be something that they are not. I agree and find their sound more natural, to my ears, than many more expensive speakers I have listened to. Polk also offers their regular customers, really special deals on occasion. I have bought from their special sales and have purchased some nice new speakers for 50% off retail, including free shipping.

3. SandAndGlass

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

One of the better bang for your buck speakers. Very nice speakers imo.

basie-fan and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My speakers have built in powered subs that are fed by the sub out on the amp. So, yes and no.

timind likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yes but I am of the school that believes that due to roll-offs of the bottom-end response present in most less-than-perfect recordings, there HAS to be a good overlap between the mains and the sub. In this way those weakened frequencies are beefed up all the way up to in some cases 80-100hz.With well-engineered recordings I'm happy to loose the 25 to 39hz my mais are lacking so I don't have to constantly adjust the crossover knob; I just turn it off. 40 solid hz please my ear just fine.

If recordings were perfect I'd be glad to get rid of my sub.
    This is IMHO so please feel free to agree to disagree:laugh:.

8. robotk

robotk Member

Good recordings will have fundamentals of lower frequencies that your mind will flesh out to provide the sense of low bass, but that still can't replace the physicality of true low bass, IMO.

I think having mains that go deep enough to allow easier integration with a sub at lower frequencies is key - it was for me, at least. Running at 40 Hz or below virtually eliminates localization.

9. Addison

Addison Active Member

Can't say I do, my speakers have excellent bass response. However, I often listen to drone or low frequency based music of that matter and I sometimes fantasize about having a sub... maybe one day.

10. mds

mds Forum Resident

I use a sub with my 2-channel system, one sub so I guess this is what you are calling 2.1 as opposed to using two subs and directing the right and left channels individually. I have placed my sub between my speakers but next to one not centered and it blends in very nicely.

11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

No subs here. No need.

D.D.

12. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I don't (even though I thought I would ultimately.) I just got a pair of Focal Chorus 826V Floorstanders and despite the specs they deliver real nice bass - better than old school 15" woofer style speakers I was raised and weaned on. So no...for now. :)

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I never noticed this before. I have the same receiver. Unless you have one of the surround modes activated I don't think the LFE output works, but I might be mistaken. However, you can tell the receiver how many speakers you've got, so maybe if you tell it there are only two speakers and then activate the 5-channel stereo mode, the only difference would be that low-frequency content would be shunted to the LFE channel? Worth a try...

Another option of course is to send the speaker output to the sub and use its crossover. But that will introduce a bit more distortion and loss and put a bit more load on the receiver.

15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Actually, running the speaker outs to the sub, crossing over, then to the speakers, removes load off from the amplifier (receiver).

Personally, I prefer to run the mains full range with the sub receiving a full range signal. Then crossover, attenuate, phase align, and parametric eq the sub for best integration.

Btw, if you are using the LFE from a receiver out to the sub then the signal is being re-digitized (assuming you started with an analog signal), crossed over, time (phase) aligned, attenuated, and possibly eq'd in a digital form before being reconverted back to analog.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, I realize that an AV receiver has many more output options than my simple stereo system with a separate preamp and two monoblock amps, but that should not change the basics of the system. First, let be sure we are talking about subwoofers that are active speakers (i.e. they have their own amp in the subwoofer). So what ever signal you send to the sub is not going to a speaker, it is going to another amp which has very high input impedance (resistance). When you send the stereo speaker outputs of your receiver to the subwoofer amp (as well as to your two main speakers) this connects the subwoofer and the speaker in a parallel circuit. Because of the very high input resistance of the subwoofer amp only a small percentage of the power (0.01% to 0.1%) goes to the subwoofer and the rest goes to the main speaker. This makes no sonic difference to the main speakers and the subwoofer's internal amp boasts the small signal it receives and sends in to the subwoofer speaker. Forget about the LFE.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Stereo only.

18. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

19. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Yes to 2.1. Most bookshelf speakers - at least those within my budget, lol! - cannot provide significant bass below 40 Hz. So to get those frequencies means buying floor standing speakers or using a sub. On the positive side, a sub can provide very deep, powerful bass for not a lot of money and it has a higher WAF than large floor standers. On the negative side, there's lots of fiddling needed to get good integration of the sub with the mains.

20. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I use 2 Polk 10" subs with my MMGs. They add just what is needed and sound great!

21. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I couldnt be happier with my rel t5.
    I couldnt live without my sub now

2point1 likes this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Tried a few times. Initially, the feel of the extra bass is impressive. In the long run though, it never sounds as natural as the speakers without the sub.
    No for now.

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Sub=less stress on receiver and speakers

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

you need to measure in your room and maybe try different subs. REL connectivity makes it very easy to integrate without taking anything away from the sound. clarity is preserved, only low bass have more puch and depht. love it.
    Maybe try REL, JL audio, SVS. I prefer my sealed t5 over the ported t2 I had. sealed reduce group delay. I personally cannot find any critic to the rel t5. its totally transparent and dissapear while adding so much punch. couldnt be happier

also, I personally do not make the sub flat with the mains. its 5db less then flat. otherwise I find it overwhelms my treated room.

now, if I were only to listen to jazz or classic, I wouldnt need one, but for electronica, I couldnt live without.

basie-fan and sunspot42 like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes. I have two Rythmik F12SEs that are EQ'd quite well by Dirac which is the REQ system of the Emotiva XMC-1.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.