Do young people enjoy westerns?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wonderful...Clint walker played a great Cowboy... he was a Cowboy! : )

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And the other Clint.

3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I'm 46. Always watched westerns as long as I can remember. Especially Sunday mornings as a kid. Rawhide & the other tv westerns as well as films. I love all the spaghetti westerns, even the non Eastwood poorly dubbed ones. Some of the old ones with Lee van Cleef & Randolph Scott. Never liked John Wayne. I watch the new one as they come out. Saw a Mads Michelson one not so long ago which was good. I see a new one with Wes Studi & Rosamund Pike is about now so I'll have to give that a watch. Didn't like the new Magnificent 7.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Logan was, not sure about the others. Super hero movies don't have the same themes as Westerns.

The 'new' westerns are the things like Hell Or High Water or No Country For Old Men.

aussievinyl and clhboa like this.
  5. XHarryX

XHarryX Member

I am 24 and I can honestly tell you western is one of my favorite genres along with crime/gangsters drama. but I don't see many of my age who even watch western movies, they are more into superhero/sci-fi kind of stuff.

nick99nack and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Screened Rio Bravo and The Searchers this weekend for a 'Marvel franchise/Comic-Con' millennial
    who had never seen them before. She liked Rio Bravo (especially Walter Brennan) and tolerated The
    Searchers
    because she was enough of a history student to realize that the 'non-woke' elements were
    not all that inaccurate for that period in history. She did really enjoy Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood, though.

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

just Walter Brennan? and not John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickinson as well?
    Millennials!
    :rolleyes:

Lightworker likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, any true fan of the western genre should be checking out Kevin Costner's Yellowstone! I recently binged the 1st 2 seasons and now I'm watching it again, but more slowly. I'm enjoying it more the 2nd time around! I find myself thinking about Dances With Wolves a lot in that Costner has always shown great insight and sensitivity to the plight of the American Indian. A big plus is although it's a modern cowboy tale, every episode features some real, very authentic, 'cowboy' action! These boys have some serious skill sets! Show probably would've been ultra successful had Costner just called it Bonanza!;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Rio Bravo might have some appeal to the younger crowd because it plays out like a video game.

Matthew Tate and Lightworker like this.
  10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

When she saw Ricky Nelson's character: "Wasn't he a singer? He's the only one with pants that fit(!)"

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

If she likes Walter, see how she fares with Bad Day at Black Rock.

12. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

a few Westerns that I enjoyed...

Hostiles (2017) - excellent modern western with Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike, kind of a road trip movie, kept me on the edge the whole time, and the end was great too.
    3:10 to Yuma (20017) - another good Christian Bale and Russell Crowe western, I've never seen the original but remake is pretty good
    True Grit (2010) - never saw the original, but remake with Jeff Bridges is great

Red Sun (1971) - an older western with Charles Bronson, Alain Delon, Usrula Andress. Saw it when I was little, and it stuck in my memory, and then saw it later a few times. Love East meets West theme :)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Mr Bass, RandelPink and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Those top 3 you mentioned are all excellent IMO. I'd also throw in Hateful 8 as a somewhat modern classic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

There is a German Western called Deadlock that is fantastic. Features Can on the soundtrack.

RandelPink likes this.
  15. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I have always liked the genre and often keep a look out for them on DVD when I’m in the thrift shop. I won’t buy anything though, as I prefer to see ones that are regarded well.

Just picked up a DVD yesterday of “Ride Lonesome“ and I’m looking forward to watching that.

I probably have at least another 10 or so that I haven’t gotten around to watching yet.

I agree with one of the other posters in that these movies should be watched on the big screen for maximum effect.

Maybe it’s because people just can’t relate to the setting as much, or because a lot of the themes that were explored in them (family, loyalty, friendship, greed, power, the nature of good and evil) are not as relevant any more when presented in that genre.

16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Ride Lonesome trailer

aussievinyl and RandelPink like this.
  17. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Being about 3 hours from Lone Pine, I have slight favoritism for anything filmed in the Alabama Hills... Ride Lonesome is a new one to me though, so now I def have to give it a peep. Thanks for sharing!

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my son does...

19. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

speaking as a Young Man (who btw also ain't got nothing in the world these days),

i'm largely indifferent to them but i can tell you a couple of things that make me not want to seek them out:

1. the cast: cowboys have been so over-romanticized
    2. the setting: i don't see the appeal in the prairie (give me a dense forest any day of the week)
    3. what do i know, it's not like i've seen THAT many westerns.

i don't know, i just can't exactly say WHY i don't like westerns too much really.

The weird thing is, i like Red Dead Redemption and i find relaxation in just riding around the prairie there and shooting virtual birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.