Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

And stop having to make each character's exit a traumatic one. Whatever happened to, "I'm getting married, need to stop risking my life for a while, it's been grand."

Deesky and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  2. I'm glad Capaldi is leaving, the series has IMO grown stale and needs a new start. Which it apparently is getting.

klaatuhf likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I would like to see whomever is chosen to be the next Doctor to stay in the role for an extended period. It's starting to feel like the actors are taking on the role are doing so to check a box on their resume. What was once a clever method of allowing the series to transcend a single actor has turned into a gimmick where we spend one year anticipating the new Doctor, one year of adapting to them in the role, one year of stability, and then one year of farewell.

Carserguev, neo123, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, back when budgets were low they churned out lots of episodes, so the normal three year run still meant a lot of episodes. The new thing seems way too abbreviated. If they're going to produce so few shows, I'd like a Doctor who hangs around a bit longer.

andybeau likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

I'm also tired of the over-complicated, nonsense plots. When the series had low budgets they seemed to spend more time coming up with a script that made sense. Too often now I end up checking out ten minutes in because I have no idea what is going on and why I should care about any of the characters on the screen.

And don't get me started on the companions; Matt Smith's Doctor and the Ponds really wore me out and Clara started out intriguing but got so tiring at the end. Matt Lucas and Nardole looks to be more of the same.

Shawn likes this.
  6. A woman in the role would be nice. Maybe Idris Alba (or someone like him) would be cool. I'm tired of the white/young/middle aged/old doctors. Give me something different!

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Miranda Hart is the bookies' choice for the first female Doctor.

8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's not really a cheat, since the original series was created to be both a mix of historical adventures and futuristic adventures (or alien planet adventures). Indeed, the first season was a 50/50 split between historical stories and sci-fi stories. They only decided to ditch the historical stories in the fourth season when it was determined that viewers generally preferred the sci-fi stories... particularly anything that had a "monster" in it. Historical adventures were eventually brought back again, but tended to be both a mix of history and sci-fi (such as an alien stranded in 17th Century England).

Ideally any show that focuses around time travel should explore both the future and the past.

longdist01 and seed_drill like this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

jriems, reapers and wayneklein like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My hope is that with Moffat going, the new showrunner will bring a little more logic and less nonsense to the scripts. Who plays the Docta is less important to me.

fishcane, Shawn and eddiel like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In my opinion, you can blame the writing for that. I like Capaldi as an actor and was looking forward to him being the doctor. But I think the story telling really let him down.

Deesky likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There will be a new showrunner.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes I forgot about that (despite me actually posting that back when this thread started!) so I edited my post to make me look smarter. Unfortunately you're faster at replying than I am at making myself look smarter :)

Deesky likes this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes. The story telling is key. I wish they had changed the show runner for Capaldi's turn. I think they just ran out of ideas. Looking forward to the new season. I'd say, based on the three names I've seen, Ben Whishaw is the safe choice. I think he actually looks like the doctor already. A young one but he's got the look. But I'd like to see Richard Ayoade as the doctor preferably played as his IT Crowd character, Maurice Moss :)

15. I don't mind a convoluted script when it makes sense and comes together. What bothers me is when it announces "I'm so clever" and runs around just for the sake of running around. No,purpose or worthwhile pay off.

DreadPikathulhu, Deesky and eddiel like this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I like Hayley Atwell but no. No Americans please. It's annoying enough they have to write the US into scripts just to appease the market buyers (my theory no evidence to support this what so ever! lol)

She can do a guest spot though.

But the Doctor will have to be British. Anyway, if they cast a non-Brit into the role, they'd probably burn BBC House down in retaliation. There'd be people refusing to pay their TV license and going to jail as a result in protest. :)

17. She's not American. She has citizenship for both but was born in London and has done most of her work in the UK prior to Captain America. She also lived in London with her mother when her parents divorced. She also didn't play an American in Captain America.

I don't think anyone would protest that.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sorry watched too much Conviction, all 13 eps! She'll always be American to me :)

I doubt we'll see a female doctor though.

wayneklein likes this.
  19. Some of the best potential candidates if it were a woman have already been on the show playing other prominent roles. Perhaps they will pursue one of them if they choose to go that direction (after all The Master was a woman recently) after all it would open up an interesting plot device, funny comments and would be interesting. It might be too much of a meta moment like Capaldi as The Doctor (although in his case he was in Torchwood not in Dr. Who as I recall) but it would be different.

20. [​IMG]

Trashman likes this.
  21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

They've been laying the breadcrumbs for a female Doctor for years. I really don't see the problem. Hayley Atwell would be stunning, no doubt. Michelle Dockery could do it too.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. I had forgotten about that. It was so long ago...

Thst reminds me.. I quite liked the "daughter" of Dr. who and they never did anything with that.

seed_drill likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

There has been a lot of speculation over the last few years that certain female characters in the new series would be revealed as the Doctor's daughter, but it never came to pass (the "Doctor's Daughter" in the 2008 episode isn't the same character - she's a clone - and has since vanished from the series). It's too bad because it would have provided an easy launching point to having the male Doctor run out regenerations and the daughter taking over the role.

With Tennant and Smith so fresh in people's minds and having just done an older Doctor, I think they really need to cast someone out of the box next time. I don't care if it's a woman, person of color, or a cat, but if it's another young British guy I may just abandon the series.

24. I'd nominate Michelle Ryan. I'd also love to see if they could somehow attract Christopher Eccleston to play a villain. It would also be nice to see Paul McGann appear even if he didn't appear as a previous incarnarion of the Doctor. He still looks pretty good for his age.

25. I would love to see the gal also from that 2008 episode return as well. They've brought back River Phoneix so often (and I love her but we could bring other characters abandoned in previous episodes) that I would be happy to finally this happen. I always thought they set that up as a potential spin off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.