Doctor Who - Series Ten (10)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thrillsville, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The funny thing about that picture is the hat they gave Colin Baker to wear in that story. It was too tall for him to walk through the doorways, so he had to keep carrying it at his side!

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How would that work? Eccleston was the first doctor of the nuWho era and he's dead (timey-wimey notwithstanding).

3. johnston21

johnston21 Forum Resident

Benedict Cumberbatch as the new Dr.???

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hasn't he already been playing that role in Sherlock?

scobb and eddiel like this.
  5. On its Who. They could figure out a way. Someone impersonating him to sully his name and damage the timeline, who knows?

the timeline outside of our universe so perhaps in an alternate universe. There are so many what ifs!

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'll watch it regardless of who they choose as long as the stories are good. Make the doctor a female, or a young British guy, doesn't matter to me, just make sure the stories are good.

scobb likes this.
  7. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really think that they're going to choose a relatively unknown actor for budgetary reasons.

8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Seems Kris Marshall is free now he's given up his role in 'Death In Paradise'. Could do a lot worse...

fitzysbuna likes this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Whatever roll he plays he'll always be remembered as the 'idiot' son from My Family.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

There's also a campaign for Marina "Counselor Deanna Troi" Sirtis to play the first female Doctor atm, and that she's also expressed interest. Although Tilda Swinton would be amazing too I will admit. :)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I was a big booster of Bionic Woman but I have to say that Ryan was in over her head there. At best, she could not act while also remembering to have an American accent. At worst, just the first bit.

But she was in one episode of Doctor Who - do you recall which one?

13. It was the first HD with David Tennant. It was part of a pair of TV movies or double episodes. "Planet of the Dead" from 2009. It was a pretty good episode. She was very good.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Peter Dinklage!!!

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Oh gawd no!

eddiel and wayneklein like this.
  16. She's nice to look at but I've never thought she was much of an actress.

Deesky likes this.
  17. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Yes Peter Dinklage would be excellent.

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Now that you mention it, she really doesn't have that much range at all lol but yes, she certainly was nice to look at. ;)

19. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Thank God we will finally be rid of Capaldi..the worst doctor in the history of the show IMHO. Mind you it didn't help him at all with these last two seasons having the worst scripts ever. So the combination has been an utter disaster. As for the next doctor, Benedict would be perfect but as someone else pointed out he's been playing "The Doctor" under the guise of "Sherlock Holmes" already and for all the other well known reasons he will not be chosen. I think his Holmes partner, Martin Freeman would actually make a cool doctor. But it's highly doubtful they will go with an well known actor and stick with a relatively unknown and for me it's got to be a middle-aged male and most definitely not "old" like Capaldi nor female would work IMHO (unless..some how they can make River Song the doctor!!??). Will as always be fascinating. Sadly this upcoming final Capaldi series looks like being a total disaster..the companions being utterly stupid and annoying and the Xmas ep was possibly the worst Dr Who ep ever..just bad in every sense of the word. But it won't stop me watching it :)

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd have to disagree with that. I enjoyed him as the doctor. What I felt was lacking was the scripts.

Deesky and seed_drill like this.
  21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Um, No. The show has gone off the rails and it has nothing to do with Capaldi. In fact, I have come to regret that the show was ever brought back - should have been a reboot instead of a continuation if anything.

scobb likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

A complete reboot would have been interesting and allowed them to start from a clean slate without having to tie back into events that happened decades ago.

One issue I have with new Who is that they keep casting high-energy frenetic actors that spend the episode running around and shouting nonsense, which gets exhausting after an entire hour episode. I had hoped that with Capaldi we'd have a more cerebral doctor, but it's the same thing we've had since Eccleston. Old Who had their frenetic Doctors (both Bakers) but it was balanced out by Doctors that displayed different personalities. I'd love to have another Pertwee or McCoy in the role and wish we'd had an entire season of either John Hurt or Paul McGann.

tkl7 likes this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Colin Baker was the one I'd name as the only really failed or bad Doctor, but I don't blame the actor, he had a whinging American for a companion followed by a gaudy costumed shrill thing with a perm, a gaudy coat of his own with bow-tie like a clown costume, and was needlessly sometimes deadly violent like a psychopath. Plus celebrity guest stars foisted on the show whether they fit or not. It got cancelled then given another season after which Colin Baker was abruptly pulled from the role. That never happened under any other phase (and it was just getting good again with an interesting companion when it had it's last season for awhile in 1989).

Two more shortened seasons of McCoy and at least one of them with Sophie Aldred, and as many as can be imagined with McGann would be my dream. There are the Big Finish audios and some new adventures books for them. I think we got a fair amount of the others though (if only we had all the Hartnell and Troughtons still).

Peter Dinklage would be a great actor for the role and a change, I hope someone in charge at least thinks of him and asks.

24. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That's got little to do with the actors - who are more than capable of acting however you like, from slow and steady to frantic - and it has everything to do with the direction. The actors aren't allowed to choose between hushed and serious or loud and frantic - the show runner sets the tone, the director makes sure that tone is what is delivers.

There's a great YouTube video of the American TV movie of Doctor Who that came before the new Who series, and in it the actor who played the ...I guess 9th... Doctor is auditioning and he's delivering the lines with a quiet intensity that is so very good, and then you hear someone telling him to do it with more urgency and like a switch is thrown the same lines are suddenly being delivered in a completely different way, nearly as good but completely differently.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Don't forget the new season starts tonight. The Doctor gets a new companion and this will be the last season with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. Also, it will be the last season of Steven Moffat as showrunner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.