Does any singer's voice make you sick?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jymn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

I can't stand that whole style of singing - Let's say it began with Eddie Vedder circa '93 - (At the time I didn't mind - before it turned into a cottage industry!) I mean whole groups have built their sound around that type deal - that "voice"- lets call it a "donkey call"!!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Phil Collins

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I agree that the everyman genius of his Mercury era is largely dissipated, but you can find evidence of it in even the bleakest albums. For example, the execrable BLONDES HAVE MORE FUN contains "Scarred and Scared," which would have sounded completely at home on EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY. On another disposable album I can't even remember, I was confronted with "My Heart Can't Tell You No." And so on. Just enough to string believers along.

4. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Also Alanis Morisette
    :D See the resemblance?

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Re: Does any singer's voice make you sick?

I understand your point.

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

Shania Twain - I saw her on TNN without the benifits of those vocal pitch tuners and she was absolutely terrible. Bjork is pitch perfect compared to that.
    Any modern "R&B" singer - The vocal acrobatics are enough to make me scream... Thank you Boyz II Men. :hurl:
    Sophie Hawkins - Yeeeeesh!
    Natalie Merchant - Not that she's bad, she's just kinda passionless.
    Madonna - Nuff said
    Jon Bon Jovi - Granted the vast majority of bubblegum hair metal singers are useless but Jon just has that extra annoyance that makes him stand out... with an honerable mention going to the lead singer of Britanny Fox (whoever the hell he is).
    Alanis Morisette - Is it any wonder she lost on Star Search
    Meatloaf - His singing is so overdramatic as it is. Coupled with Jim Steinman's songs, it drops down a few more notches.
    Bonnie Tyler - Ugh

Oh! Did anyone mention Micheal Bolton or Celine Dion yet? :p Can you imagine how bad a duet with those two could be. Could be a spleen venting contest. *shudder*

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Forum member Gary.

It's pretty hard to walk out of the room to leave it behind, though.

I wonder if HZ could upgrade the site to allow microphones and voice communications.... ???

8. joefont

joefont Senior Member

That's why he has Roger! :cool:

9. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Agreed on all of the above.

10. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

They're both with Sony, right? Howzabout a duet on... "River Deep, Mountain High"? Get the A&R people on the phone right now, baby!

11. Michael

Don't cha wanna scream when BonChovie sings...Wanted Dead Or Alive or Living On A Prayer....Ahhhhhhhhhhh...

12. Michael

Sitting back in the easy chair and pondering all our comments in the above posts...notice one thing they all have in common???? THEY'RE LOADED...RICH, WEALTHY....Hmmm, somebody loves them...Interesting.

13. Michael

Looks like Bolton's a top contender..."Sittin On Top Of The Heap"

14. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

A few more that I missed first time around:

John Bongiovi AKA Bon Jovi -- I laughed out loud the first time I saw the video to "Always".
    Michael Bolton -- Can you get any worse than this guy? I didn't mention him in my initial response.... I guess my mind just blanked out the horror.
    Tom Petty -- "I Won't Back Down" in particular is sheer torture for me.
    Denis and Denyse LePage -- If you have ever heard anything by Lime, you'll understand.
    Caroline Bernier

15. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Need I mention Yoko Ono? Or does anyone remember Dino Valente from Quicksilver Messenger Service? Both of them truly awful!!! :(

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The way the Dixie Chicks sing Landslide makes me sqwirm.

I actually like Geddy Lee, Jon Anderson and Roger Hodgson type of voices.
    Not all day but once in awhile.

JohnG

17. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

What!!?? He and the Union Gap are among my favourite singers!

18. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Michael Bolton, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and Celine Dion.

It's a little known fact that when they attended school, the chalkboards had been removed. Nothing to scrape the fingernails over so a whole new style of singing developed. ;)

19. :thumbsup: :agree: "Move Over" is one of the only Janis songs that does it for me. And a great one it is. I too want to be a fan, but I can't get past her voice. Her version of "Me and Bobby McGee" makes me cringe.
    :agree: :thumbsup: A couple of years back I saw a very weathered Stevie Nicks sing Landslide on Letterman with Lindsay on guitar. It also made me squirm.

In the Bob Dylan vain, I would add Randy Newman. Tremendous song writer, great arrangements, but...

I love early Motorhead, but Lemmy sounds like he just drank a gallon of battery acid. "...you win some, lose some, it's all a game to me..." :laugh:

'Moms' Mabley in a good way. We're laughing with you 'Moms' not at you. I got a big chuckle a few years ago when I hear her version of Bobby Hebb's - Sunny. :)

John "Johnny Rotten" Lydon - I love the Pistols and some PIL, but in small doses.

Bruce Springsteen - on occasion when he strains his voice and looks like he gonna pop a blood vessel or two I run for cover. Example, "Born In The U.S.A.". Yet on other songs like "Born To Run" or "Candy's Room", his voice is filled with passion and energy and it's great.

20. Ian

Ian Active Member

This is where the term "spleen venting disembowelment" would really fit.:eek: :help:

21. vex

vex New Member

I'm too lazy to read back through the thread, but:

- Joni Mitchell
    - Bob Dylan
    - Elvis Presley
    - N'Sync (or however you spell it)
    - Backstreet Boys
    - Menudo

Betcha that's the first time you saw all those names in the same list!

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I would tend to agree about Dino Valente. I could take him in limited doses, namely, three songs -- Fresh Air, What About Me, Hope.

Jim W.

23. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

They make you sick??!

.........or you're just not so fond of them?

24. Ian

Ian Active Member

Another one...

Ryan White - His part in the pseudo duet with Shania on "From This Moment" has got to be the whiniest bit of vocalizing I have ever heard. His whining turns a simple, boring, syrupy "devoted to you" style ballad into the biggest piece of bombastic comedy of 1998. Hysterically dreadful.

25. Ian

Ian Active Member

I get too busy laughing at those lyrics:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.