Does Anybody Remember The Band Jellyfish!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nathan L Vogel, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Nathan L Vogel

Nathan L Vogel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

JELLYFISH...Probably in my mind one of the most underrated groups I currently know in existence. A power pop group ft Andy Sturmer, Tim Smith, Roger Joseph Manning, Jr., and Eric Dover. Musically genius in my minds. combining complex queen like harmonies with powerful chord based tunes. I recently in my home studio tried recording one of there songs from there only 2 released Albums Spilt Milk, and Belly Button. The track was called Sebrina Paste and Plato (odd name right) Anyways the band later split up not too be much active other then doing stuff for a show called Hi Hi Puffi Yumi. I remember watching that when I was younger. Nevertheless I wonder if anyone remembers live shows from these guys. They sounded amazing from clips on YouTube etc LIVE!

Usagi75, limoges, granata and 20 others like this.
  2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I loved Jellyfish! "Baby's Coming Back" & "Joining A Fan Club" are both on my Spotify playlist I listen to all the time. I was into them when they were around but I don't think they ever played live near me. But I remember them and still really dig their sparse output.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I boiled down their output to one cdr, but what a cdr! Fun, catchy wonderful pop songs.
    I had the box but found the demos pretty boring, the live stuff was great.

Roger's last two albums are just fantastic.
    This is one of the best pop songs I have EVER heard. The bridge is goosbump time

4. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

They're very well known and very well regarded around here. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Hep Alien, Northwind, RickH and 6 others like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You should also check out Beatnick Beatch, Sturmer & Manning's band before they mutated into Jellyfish.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Welcome to the forum!
    Yes, Jellyfish was a shooting star in the power pop pantheon of great bands.
    They are sorely missed; I enjoyed them as much as the numerous bands that inspired them.
    I was very lucky to see them once with an old friend that picked up the tickets.

(By the way, just use the Search function for prior threads - you’ll find about 2 dozen Jellyfishes.)

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Got into Jellyfish, an awesome band, love them!

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Totally dig Jellyfish

9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Same band that did 'He's My Best friend' from the 94 Threesome soundtrack?
    Pretty catchy tune

10. Cheers for putting that video up. Great stuff! I will be checking his other recordings later.
    Loved Jellyfish. They had a minor hit over here with the king is half Undressed.

11. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

They were fantastic.

12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

One of the best bands that ever existed!!!!

13. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Also the lyrics are pretty funny.

The Panda likes this.
  14. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see them live somewhere between the 1st and 2nd albums and they were fantastic live. The whole look and sound was amazing, and Andy playing his drums standing up while singing lead really gave an added unique element to the show. Such a shame they didn't carry on, but there are plenty of great tunes on the Manning and Falkner solo albums.

15. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

They are what happens when the Beatles and Queen make a music baby

The Bish, longaway, Ponzio and 3 others like this.
  16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

17. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Great band

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I was really into Jellyfish. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for some news on that third album. I’ll never forget the day I was sitting in the car, waiting for a light to change, and they had just finished playing The Ghost At Number One...and the DJ came on and said “that was Jellyfish, great band, unfortunately they recently broke up”. Arrrrgh! I just about lost it.

I had a ton of CD singles. One of them, Baby’s Coming Back came with a diaper on it. :laugh:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Hep Alien, mcwlod, Ponzio and 5 others like this.
  19. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

LP’s sound fantastic! Always loved them. They had next to no airtime on the radio in the cow pastures I grew up in. I think I might have heard “Baby’s Comin Back” on the radio like twice, I rushed out and drove to a big city to buy a cassette tape.. I dont think I ever heard anything again until a few years later I ran accross an lp in a bin and bought it.

Today with the internet you can discover and grow with quality music like Jellyfish. In my day If nobody played it...nobody heard it.

D.B. likes this.
  20. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Wow! That was an amazing performance. Thanks for posting that.

longdist01 and Nathan L Vogel like this.
  21. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Zula Pool > Beatnik Beatch > Jellyfish.
    It is a shame the touring pressures and growing disparities in Andy and Roger's musical interests could not be mitigated or reconciled.

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Andy produced and co-wrote songs for my favorite J-Pop band:
    PUFFY AMI YUMI!!!!!!

forgottenson likes this.
  23. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

[​IMG]

forgottenson, theMess, D.B. and 3 others like this.
  24. Nathan L Vogel

Nathan L Vogel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I actually planned home studio recordings of that one Great tune from the genius Roger Joseph Manning

25. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

No problem! Here's the other song they played on the show:

Hep Alien, longaway, BDC and 2 others like this.