Does Anyone Make This?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

My Redbook Cd player has a Digital (coax) output.

What I'd like to do is buy an outboard "Upsampler" that will make my redbook Cds sound like HDCDs or SACDS.

Or, should I just buy a player with the upsampler built in?

All thoughts are welcome.

Mikey

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

You can get an external upsampler, but it will not make your CD's sound like SACD's. But they will sound somewhat better, not quite as harsh.

I have found that on some CD's, upsampling sounds good, but on others, it sounds worse than without it. Its nice to be able to turn it off and on.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The SPDIF signal is being sent down that digital coax line. I think it's too late for any upsampling to have a positive benefit. However, an external box that converts the digital data to analogue and amplifies this to line level could produce better sound than the DAC/analogue stage in your current CD player. If your CD player has a good transport, there are gains to be made. The Benchmark DAC is the latest buzz, but I don't know if that's in your price range.

How much money are you thinking of spending on your system? Could this money be spent in a different way and produce better sound? The age-old question - at least for audiophiles.

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

MSB Technologies make an upsampler, DACs, and other products that have been very favorably reviewed. Their web site is www.msbtech.com. They just announced a new 192 KHz upsapler that can be added to their outboard DACs.

I am neither an employee of MSB Technologies nor an owner of any of their products. I've just read good things about them and their gear so I thought I'd pass along the information.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

To me, MSB makes the music sound better but much more forward. I did not like that sound and sold the unit.

I've not heard every DAC under the sun, Mikey, but if I were you, I'd do some serious auditioning before I buy a DAC.

For HDCD, you'd have to have a HDCD decoder in the DAC to "properly" play the discs.

Just a few thoughts... :)

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Thanks, boys!!

I'm thinking of buying that tube CD player made in China. i hear good things about that unit and its not very expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.