Does Anyone Recognize This Dark Side of the Moon?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by synchronizer, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello. I browsed a local record and cd shop today and came across a semi-bruised but okay-looking version of the Dark Side of the Moon album. It looked *something* like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FLOYD-...CDP-7460012-/151766582821?hash=item2355fe4625

I could go back and record the matrix number, but is this copy worth purchasing (or should I pass)? I don't recall whether it was specifically "harvest," but again, I could re-check.

Thanks. (Yes I read the other topics as well. I apologize if this is redundant.)

2. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

It does look like the Harvest release, though the inside booklets contents remain a blank.

Is it worth the money asked ? Only you can determine it's value by whether you buy it or not !

IMHO, the difference in sound placed on differing versions / mixes can be subtle at best, & what sounds "better" on one sound-system may sound "lesser" on another. And all this depends on where you have your EQ set at...EQ's ( Graphic Equalizers ) are there to help you get the desired pleasing sounds out-of-a-recording, from your sound-system, so don't be afraid to use it !

Generally speaking, the more technology advances, the less distortion & noise become present in the re-masterings of older, "analog" taped recordings, & hence, the potential exists to extract a more honest sound- reproduction of what was originally intended.

I'd personally grab a new copy of the latest version, & dial-in a sweet sound with my graphic equalizer if needed.

Cheers,

Gregster

synchronizer likes this.
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I have no idea what is this release, but if it's an official one, isn't it strange that it's called "Dark side of the moon" and not "The dark side of the moon"?

4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

AFAIK, all the early CD releases omitted "the" in the title. It was reinstated with the 20th anniversary edition in 1993.

delmonaco likes this.
  5. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Don't pay that price!!It's not even the MFSL version.

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Yes, its the old unremastered UK/European issue. Very common and not worth more than $5. It also has the Toshiba TO mastering, so not ideal if sound quality is high on your demands.

synchronizer likes this.
  7. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't know that

8. synchronizer

Alright, thanks all. The CD was no more than $4.00 in the store, but I think I will keep looking.

9. synchronizer

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have a 1A C3 US, no indication on who pressed it that sounds very nice, according to the archives it's a 1991 4th
    i would go for the DADC press over a Pitman

synchronizer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.