Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I wouldn't call it out of whack, just how you draw the line. I mean lets get real here, if it was about the most accuracy we would all be on Ebay finding the original hardware...screw that.

Not a loser, and I see your point. I would never go through the trouble for every games. The in game smoothing is good enough for me...that particular game among a handful of others are an exception for me. Who has time to tweak it that good anyway?

The link just shows the image zoomed in on, nothing more. It is comparing the DVD to the bluray. Again, notice her teeth. Keep in mind this screenshots are from the 2K scan not the Arrow scan.

Maybe like is not a good work...obsessed? Like for instance I love the movie Last American Virgin. Yet the Arrow release only has 16 bit sound and less detail in picture...but it has more extras then the american release. I decided to get both because the extras on the Arrow (like the interview with Diane Franklin) are a must have for me.

Is it just an 80's comedy, yes...is it not filmed like 2001 in 70 mm...of course not, but is getting closer to the theatrical release imperative for me, absolutely.

Though I will say, Basket Case was given much much much better treatment and that has been my point from the get go. I understand exactly what you are saying though, and all I can say is this...perhaps give at least the reviews and links a closer look, that is all. I know new masters have enhanced my enjoyment of a film and yes I have absolutely noticed things I never did before simply because of better resolution (like words on a wall, the change in expression on a face...and yes sometimes a bad special effect...*shrug* didn't change how I felt about the movie) .

Enjoyed the discussion!

2. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I still buy DVD's for sure. At this point, it's mostly box sets of older TV shows that I want to keep such as Columbo, Rockford Files, The Flintstones, Looney Tunes cartoons (uncensored!), etc. I've also ripped backups of those DVD's so I can also watch them on various types of screens.

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Only if it’s not available on bluray, like Season 2 onward of The Americans

4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Nope, media free!

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any regrets selling a DVD?

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

DVDs are going to go way up in value in another 8 to 10 years. Not every single title but many of them will be desired and hunted for. Movies that were mastered well and sold in smaller quantities will be the higher priced ones.

The titles that don't look great being streamed or are left out of being streamed for whatever reason will be desired. Some movies are already seen with high asking prices. It's hard to say which movies will be most desirable because it depends on what does not get issued on BluRay, and what ends up looking horrid on future formats / streaming. Or gets issued on BR but is very limited, and disappears at retail quickly.

I would bet that the $1 and $2 prices at thrift stores currently seen for good DVDs is not going to last forever. The real classics and better quality films in those bins will dry up completely in a few years time. Leaving the "Sing Along with Mitch Miller" and "Herb Albert & the Tiajuna Brass(s) of the movie world there by the hundreds. And out of print Criterion, etc. gone extinct, but found on eBay and Amazon for $30 and up.

Regginold31 likes this.
  7. alexpop

Can't give DVDs away now. CDs as well.

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Some are still collectible, and can command high prices. Like @quicksrt says, it depends what film/director/label. Things like the OOP BFI and Masters of Cinema box sets for Mikio Naruse sell in the £60-£100 range because they are the best English-friendly editions available from this important director. There is a Naruse BD box set coming in France, but it looks like it won’t feature English subtitles. Until such a box set appears, the old DVD sets will continue to be desirable.

Some films will, inevitably, fall through the cracks and never be upgraded to hi-def. Again, depending on the film/director, there will be a niche contingent of cinephiles who will want to own these in the best format available. If that format is DVD, so be it.

As always, market forces will drive prices.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Honestly there aren't a lot of movies I want to see again and again. Like novels, but unlike music, unless it's just unbelievably great I'm one-and-done.

10. alexpop

To be 25 again, alas.

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, I do. I think I will always prefer the physical product to the invisible one.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A DVD could be worth $150.00 in two years. Some desirable film that had been oop for 5 or 8 years is in demand.

Then it comes out in a very nicely done BR, and it's all over.

Some things go up and down and it's hard to pick the real future winners.

I have these glass cases branded by Teac from the mid 80s. I have my rarest pre-recorded VHS tapes in them. Maybe only 25 to 30 tapes total. But I just adore them. Almost all are concerts that got no DVD and no Laser Disc issued. Townshend, Zappa, M. Faithful, etc. I can easily see having a thick stack of DVDs next to these tapes, all oop, all not on any better formats (yet). It's nice ain't it.

13. alexpop

I've got a thousand of those suckers on shelves stacked nicely. No doubt remain there long after I'm gone.

14. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Blu Rays yes, not DVDs, I only watch HD sources now, first choice Blu Ray, then HD streaming (Netflix, Amazon etc).

15. alexpop

Cutting down on DVDs, I'll get the odd title.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

still keeping them as we needed to finish a franchise and the last movie was only available on DVD...the first 2 were on Blu...and I had the needed DVD.

17. Michael

yea, there are still many titles I'm interested in not yet on BD...

18. Michael

what if the movie is only available on DVD? it happens.

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually yes.

I sold a lot of those I bought in the 90s in the 2005 or so period - real classics, but I had to make room for cds.

Now, when I have an wish to see them again, I find them OOP and out of my price range.

I got maybe $5 each for the good ones, and $10 for the Criterions....

20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The market is very soft right now for used dvd's - even the rare stuff. People ask high prices but they seem to accept far less, especially for stuff that just isn't going to have a lot of interest from average buyers. And the mainstream stuff is going for like two-three dollars online, even for Blu's.

When you couple this with a growing specialty market, with labels like Arrow, Synapse and Vinegae Syndrome all vying to be the Criterion of Sleaze, it's a pretty great time to be a movie collector. I suspect it isn't going to last though.

21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I just picked up a copy of Paolo cavera's Plot of Fear for $8. I haven't seen it in years and it's a nice looking transfer. I'm happy with DVD's usually, my Oppo upsamples them to 1080p and that's fine.

22. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Hasnt happened yet.

23. Michael

It has, but not to the titles you are interested in...correct? It has happened to me a few times. I was pissed they offered no BD only DVD.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I still do; Lots of stuff not available on Blu-Ray.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If it isn't available on Blu-ray, I will. Last four DVD purchases were:
    • Jason Isbell - Live at Austin City Limits
    • Rocky & Bullwinkle, & Friends Complete Season Five
    • Curb Your Enthusiasn: The Complete Ninth Season
    • Porky Pig 101: 101 Classic Animated Shorts
    This doesn't count Blu-rays where a DVD was included as part of a combo pack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.