Does Anyone Still Use Adobe Audition?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mne563, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member Thread Starter

I love Adobe Audition. I have version 3.0 and I've been a fan since it was known as Cool Edit. Although I'm far from a pro at it, I am very comfortable with it and it works for me. But...

Does Anyone Still Use Adobe Audition? The reason I ask is, my son is away at college, studying (I hope) music production and engineering, and he says "nobody uses that anymore." Is this right? I know Pro Tools is big, but is Audition yesterday's news?

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are people who still use Adobe Audition to this very day including many pros in the industry. It is still being made by Adobe to this very day.

3. NickM

NickM New Member

Yep, I still use it. Been using it since Cool Edit Pro also. I have v2.0 but it works great for me. It seems to be still very big among amateur home recorders at least.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The vast majority of broadcasters use either Adobe Audition of some version or Cool Edit Pro. It's still the radio standard and will likely be for years yet. Pro Tools HD is the digital standard in recording studios.

5. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Still? I imagine I'll still be using it years from now. It's fine for "little" guys like me, and there is isn't as much of a learning curve as there is with Pro Tools. That's why broadcasters like it too. But for "big studio" stuff, then one does need to learn Pro Tools. No way around it.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Still use it"...? It's my videogame of choice! :righton:

7. TopForty

TopForty Active Member

Add me to the list of using it when it was Cool Edit Pro. I use an older version (1.5), but love the program. I record my vinyl using it. I tried using audacity, but I prefer using Audition.
    I enjoy making time sweeps with it, and Top 40 Billboard countdowns for any given week.
    I'd be lost without it!

8. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I still use it but for some reason both my installs stopped working last week. I need to call Adobe tomorrow as I have some work to do with it.

9. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I know of absolutely zero pro audio people in LA using it -- at least, not those who work in feature films & TV. It's about 98% Pro Tools. Pro Tools is a snap to learn, once you get your head wrapped around Digi's (now Avid's) quirky interface. I find Pro Tools very, very fast once you get in the groove.

But when I have to use a PC, I like Audition for casual use, and I also think there are many good things about it. At the same time, I wouldn't want to master a record on it, nor would I want to use it for final dialog in a show or doing anything more than cleaning up old records from my collection. And for that, frankly, I think iZotope RX is better.

11. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Pro Tools isn't an option for people who want to mess with audio files at home. Audition fits nicely for this purpose, although I wish they'd hurry up with version 4. Multi-threaded encoding/decoding is a must.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I looked at Mark Wilder's LinkedIn profile and not only does he use Pro Tools but he also uses Adobe Audition. The same with Roger McGuinn.

13. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I have never been in a recording studio that uses Adobe Audition (and I've been in dozens). Pro Tools is pretty much the standard, although some people (like me!) use Digital Performer. I used to use Cool Edit Pro back in the day, but sadly had to give it up when I switched to Mac. I believe Adobe Audition is on Mac now, though. In the end of the day, as long as an audio editor supports multi-tracking, sends/inserts, and third party plugins, there's really no difference between them. Pro Tools is a pain because you have to buy their expensive hardware to use it (which is why I'm on DP), although it really is the best GUI in my opinion.

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

:mad: I tried desparately to reach Adobe this morning to see why my programs failed. I also seemed to remember that after reinstalling I was prompted to activate and register, though those processes failed.

OK I called them and after 30 minutes was connected to somebody (nice Indian accent) who told me I was in the wrong department, even though I called the right number according to thier website. He verified my software but told me he'd have to transfer me to another department. Of course after about 30 minutes I was disconnected.

I called back and the number was constantly busy until they finally answered with a recording saying that there was a techincal problem and they couldn't help me.

I finally uninstalled and reinstalled the software and did the phone activation. That worked and I'm back up and running, though the registration failed. I got the same recording claiming technical difficulties. I guess that doesn't matter since Adobe obvioulsy knows I'm registered based on the fact that the Indian representative verified that.

What a pain, but at least I can now do my work.

15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I still use Audition 1.5.
    Mostly for burning vinyl.

16. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Been using it since "CoolEdit '96", and still do. Version 1.5 of AA is my preferred version. 3.0 has some nice features, like the lasso in Spectral View, but 1.5 does the job. Never touched Protools.

17. ataritoobin

ataritoobin Forum Resident

I use it, more so for mixing rather than recording. Been using it since the CoolEdit days!

18. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I still do all the time. I still use CE2K too.

19. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I still use it and don't intend to move to Pro Tools. I've got Adobe Audition v3.0 but I prefer to use Cool Edit Pro v2.1. I sometimes revert to CEP v1.2a for easier use of Cue List functions. Cool Edit 96 on two diskettes, that's when it really took off but OldVersion.com has versions as old as Cool Edit 1.32

20. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I use Audition 2.0 on my PC. I am not a pro though.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, that's exactly what I use it for. I bought a used copy of Pro Tools LE and an MBox for $250 off eBay -- works fine. I used it for years as a scaled-down system when my main Pro Tools HD system was tied up.

Every engineer I know has a dozen recording programs lying around on their systems. Heck, I've had Soundtrack Pro and Garage Band on my main computer for years, and used them maybe twice.

There are always exceptions to the rule. But again, all of the people I know in LA who actually work in the industry are recording, editing, and mixing with Pro Tools. (And this is mainly TV and film people.)

The o.p.'s original question concerned his son in college who said, "nobody uses Audition anymore." I think he's right in that college students want to use 1) software that will help them get a job, and 2) software used by pros in commercial recording studios. Pro Tools fits that bill. But Audition still has its fans, and I'm glad that Adobe is keeping it going. In fact, I'll probably buy the Mac version once it's out, just to try it again after many years.

22. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I thought college students wanted to use software that is free. ;)

23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

My friend who I'm sort of partners with on audio projects has Reaper, Pro Tools and Izotope, as well as other packages.

I use that with him, but here I don't do too much other than editing. Audition works just fine for that. When I need the other stuff we just shuttle the files back and forth. We've been working that way for many years.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Of course we do! We're just waiting for version 4 to hit the street. Should be any time now.

As much of a fan I am of AA3, it has been a bit behind the curve as far as what people need. The dither/SRC is far behind what advanced algorithms use from companies like Waves and iZotope. The NR tools are being surpassed by other companies. There are many features pros need for tracking that AA doesn't have, or implements poorly. But, to it's credit, they finally made a version for the Mac platform. This hold hope that they are getting serious about competing against the more pro-recording established programs.

Personally, I think the acquisition of the former Cool Edit by Adobe held back it's development.

Sony's Sound Forge hasn't really been that much better as an audio program, but it has two things going for it: they were more established with the professional world, and they have been bought by Sony.

I have been using AA since the Cool Edit 96 days, and Sound Forge since version 5.

25. hops

hops Forum Resident

I'll be moving to Audition from Soundbooth when it comes out for OSX. The remove transient/auto heal function is worth the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.