Does anyone use a Chromecast Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spaceboy, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

I use a simple bluetooth transmitter with an L/R audio out plugged into my receiver to listen to Spotify and stuff via my phone. Didn't have to make any changes to my network settings to get it to work. Very convenient.

2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

The way you have it set up is the best way to use the Chromecast Audio. It can send (up to) 24/96 to your (better) external DAC.

3. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

That all depends on what software you're using at the backend and what format the files are in though.

500Homeruns likes this.
  4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Correct.

I don't know much about the internal DAC of the Chromecast Audio, but I would guess that for the $30 price tag most external DAC's should sound better though.

5. gary191265

It uses an AKM AK4430 192kHz 24-bit stereo DAC, apparently...which means nothing to me! :)

500Homeruns likes this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have an android tablet and an input on my CD player DAC. Do I just connect the Chromecast to the DAC? Should I use optical or coaxial?
    I just want to stream internet radio from the tablet.

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. gary191265

9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

If I get Chromecast, do I simply use Google Play (or other sources) on my phone, and plug the Chromecast puck into the RCA inputs of my tube amp? Can I then just use the volume control on my phone to adjust level?

Right now, my setup is very simple. Phone plugged into RCA inputs of my tube amp. Use phone's volume control to adjust level, and use Google Play app to stream music.

10. gary191265

You can do that but it won't play high-res unless you use the optical output (mine goes into a DAC, then out to the amp via RCA)...I think it does anyway, I'm not at home at the moment!

Your phone will control the volume though, then just use a streaming app of your choice, I use Muzecast and Spotify mainly.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  11. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

It will play high-res with analog output. You just have to rely on the DAC in the Chromecast, instead of a better external one. You will get better sound with the optical out.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  12. gary191265

Yeah, my mistake...brainfart!

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Anybody using the CCA with Bubbleupnp to play music from files on your Android phone? How do I get it to play a full album? It just wants to play one song and stop. I'm also finding that it definitely sounds better when I plug my phone directly into my Bifrost 4490 via USB than optical from the CCA. Am I doing some wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Nobody?

15. gary191265

No, sorry mate, using Plex and/or Muzecast here.

SirMarc likes this.
  16. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Try a long touch on the album listing until a menu pops up and offers "Play". Don't tap through and select the first song if that is what you are doing. I've not used BubbleUPnP, but I know other apps that behave this way.

500Homeruns and SirMarc like this.
  17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'll try that, thanks. What app do you use?

18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

It's worked! Thanks bud, appreciate it

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

CCA is a really cool piece of technology, but I'll say it's not very Apple OS friendly when it comes to streaming locally stored audio files. Yes, Plex is supported but I prefer apps like Stream to Me and even (gasp) iTunes. I bought a CCA for my patio where I stream from my MacBook; it has Airfoil so I can use iTunes. In my living room stereo-only setup (Yamaha integrated amp and large Advents) I use my iPhone or iPad so I slapped an Airport Express into the system and ran a mini-Toslink-to-Toslink from it into my DAC. Noice!

20. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if chromecast will stream from onkyo hf player iPhone app.

21. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple of days ago my Internet connection went down and my chrome ✳ audio no longer connects to my network. Does the chromecast audio need to be connected to a network that is linked to the Internet?

22. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yes I’m pretty sure it does. I gave up on mine as I prefer the stability of Bluetooth or a cable.

23. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

As in it kept dropping out with wifi?

In general:

Wondering whether to either get a Chromecast or a Bluetooth device with internal DAC going straight in to the amp, just for Spotify browsing and background music etc.

Is the Chromecast internal DAC decent enough for this?

24. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

I like an app called Hi-Fi Cast for use as the control point. It can do gapless playback with the chromecast audio. At this time Hi-Fi Cast lacks the ability to download onto the android device from your server. Therefore, I use BubbleUPnP for downloading to the phone when needed, and also for remote access to Minim server from outside the local network. I've been happy with this setup.

25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I find the the Chromecast DAC to be a pretty nice listen to be fair. My issue is that I was using an iPhone plus my internet is not as good as it should be. I have since given up on stream almost entirely and I decided to invest around £200 on a Cowon hi res player. Chromecast is probably a great product with android but for mac it just got too annoying for me personally.

Shiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.