Does anyone use a Chromecast Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spaceboy, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

The chromecast DAC is ok but I use a Chord Mojo with an optical feed from the chromecast which is a noticeable improvement.

2. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming that. I've got Android, and good fibre broadband speed, so sounds like it should be OK...

3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Your well set, I reckon it’s a solid product for what you pay it’s a bargain. I noticed last night that from my iMac archive.org streamed to my google chromecast tv upstairs. So I will try it with audio chromecast later on my hifi.

Shiver likes this.
  4. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Cheers. Got to be worth a pop at that price!

5. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I just got the Musical Paradise 301 mkiii and wasn't sure how my chromecase audio would mate with it, but it works flawlessly, and sounds way better than when i had it hooked up to my vintage yamaha.

I just use spotify but think i may do the Tidal HD trial and see what all the hub-bub is about, bub.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I finally figured out how to get my CCA working again after a long struggle of pinpointing why my laptop could no longer 'find' my CCA for casting.

It was a long effort with lots of dead end searching on google.

Still get drop outs though via wifi.

Sounds pretty good, though.

7. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I have Tidal that I use with a Bluesound Node 2 and it works flawlessly in my main system. However the Tidal app and my Chromecast Audio in my secondary system is junk. Let’s see, it freezes, sometime won’t play at all, when I choose Shuffle it might play 3 tracks then stops and I have to choose a playlist again, if I choose Play it will usually play at least a dozen songs, then I get the dreaded “we are no longer able to contact your Chromecast “, when I choose a play list I always have to restart Play to get it to cast... There is more but you get my point. With my Node 2, it just works.... which I like. Node 2 = I like. Chromecast = junk.

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I think it might be something with the Tidal app. Not the Chromecast.
    So, the app might be the "junk" side of it.

Rolltide likes this.
  9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

What John describes is similar to what I experience casting from a Chrome browser session to my CCA; audio dropouts, stutters, inexplicably stops at random times.

I'm still troubleshooting, but it works for the most part.

10. John Schofield

Yes, I want to try another steaming service with the Chromecast just have not gotten around to it. The Tidal integration with my Node 2 app works great. I’m assuming that was developed by Bluenote and not Tidal.

500Homeruns likes this.
  11. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I use one in my garage system to stream Spotify when I work out. Works great. A nice cheap little device. I wasn’t expecting much as far as sound goes, so I’m happy with it.

12. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

I love my CCA - but my use of it is limited to when we're downstairs listening to TIDAL streaming (thru the Gumby) via speakers (we have a very open 2-story floorplan, listening room is upstairs, open to the main level, all creating an amazing listening chamber on both floors). Otherwise, I'm either streaming TIDAL in through a nice laptop, or listening to CDs or vinyl.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I initially had similar issues with my CCA, though I use mine with a phone app. It's been reliable ever since I reinstalled the app and manually reset the device with the little oval button. That was the fix suggested by the support tech.

14. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

No, I use this app and it will NOT "cast" to the CCA. I only use Spotify, Plex, and Google Play music. I have not tried any of the others suggested above.

15. John Schofield

Are you speaking of the Google Home app? I have that on my iPhone but control via the Tidal app also on my phone. So, reinstall Google Home then reset the CCA?

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, the Google home app. I don't use that app for anything but the CC, but I suppose that could pose a headache for those who use it for additional devices.

17. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Streaming doesn't go so well here in the mountains, but I'm loving the Musical Paradise. I was completely surprised how by how good it is. Once I found the right tubes I don't want to go back to my $$ SS amp and pre.

Jelloalien likes this.
  19. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

What tubes ya rockin? I have vintage rca black top and gold lion kt77's. Very smooth combination with my tannoys

20. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

I run my Chromecast via spdif into my Chord mojo and find it sublime for streaming and iPlayer radio. It’s not my main source (Technics sl1200g) but boy it’s good! Trounces my old CD player and DAB radio.

21. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

It’s all happening. If you’ve got a bunch of Chromecasts and Roon, the new release brings them together. Trying now and it works flawlessly. My Tidal content, my NAS content and my favorite playback program are all finally in one place (my phone) and I can stream to the whole house. I am thrilled.

Rolltide likes this.
  22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I bought one too. Connected it to the Parasound Halo Integrated via optical input so I can use the Halo's DAC, and stream from my computer or iPhone via wifi, very nice. Money well spent but you'll need an extra toslink cable for the optical input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.