Does it still make sense to buy DVD and Blu-ray over digital downloads?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Master_It_Right, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident Thread Starter

If one is not bothered by the quality of digital downloads from somewhere, such as iTunes, Amazon, etc and store them locally to watch on compatible devices (i.e. not streaming); does it make any sense to buy Blu-ray or DVD anymore?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Yes.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  3. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Y-E-S. Next question.

4. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yes.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes, because with data caps, it's a HELLUVA lot cheaper to watch DVDs and Blu rays, which is what I do.

erniebert, Mark Nelson and Ed Hughes like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, especially if you enjoy owning a physical library of movies...really enjoy picking a movie off the shelf!

misko, Jrr, musicfan37 and 3 others like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wonder what the response to the question would have been if the question asked was:

If you're under 25, does it still make sense to buy DVD and Blu-ray over digital downloads?

mikeyt, carrick doone and Ed Hughes like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Depends on your situation. If you are constantly on the go, moving from place to place, have limited space for countless DVDs and/or Blu-rays, are fed up with packing and unpacking boxes and lugging them from place to place, digital downloads may be the best bet for you. If none of these situations apply to you, physical formats may be your preference.

mikeyt, BeatleJWOL and Vidiot like this.
  10. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I prefer BluRay, but it is embarrassing to put in a disc and be forced to watch five minutes of legalese garbage before we reach the first moment of the film. Compare that to streaming, where you click once and your movie is playing immediately.

That the BluRay consortium has not required studios to move all the FBI warnings to the END of the movie is proof enough that they are not paying attention to the competition, and they also are not paying attention to how annoying an experience it is to play a BluRay disc. Whoever heads that consortium is stuck in the past.

BluRay is directionless and ignored by its own creators.

Once Commentary tracks become more commonly a part of streaming services, I guess I won't miss BluRay any more. But the picture quality of, say, an HD movie from iTunes, is just not as good as BluRay. Same resolution but the download versions are more compressed, sacrificing a ton of detail, texture, that sort of thing which only matters if you have a big tv or if you care about what you are watching.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't see the point of either (in terms of purchasing). By the time I feel like watching the same movie again there is usually a new improved format.

Gaslight and xdawg like this.
  12. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I prefer having the physical media, but you are absolutely correct. It really depends on each individual's preference. I have several movies that I've owned on VHS then DVD then BR. Funny thing is, I may have paid more for the VHS version than the other media for some movies.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    nightstand68 and Vidiot like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think the consortium tells their member studios when or how to put in the disclaimers and FBI warnings. That's totally up to them. The consortium mainly collects fees, from what I've been told.

I agree with that very much. But I also believe it's possible to provide downloads with picture quality identical to or better than Blu-ray. We just don't have them yet.

lbangs likes this.
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For me the biggest factor is bandwidth. Where I live network speeds are far too slow for streaming or downloading HD content.

Pinknik likes this.
  15. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Yeah streaming sucks in my city unless you want to spend a gazillion dollars a month. Well not a gazillion but I think the minimum for me to boost is $50.00. I would do it if I could trim the cable/internet package but the way the CRTC/cable provider insists on bundling stuff means I pretty much have to give up cable tv altogether to get an affordable internet stream.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Don’t some streaming copies and/or download copies actually retain the FBI logo and whatnot? I’m pretty sure not too long ago I actually paid for an Amazon rental and was surprised to find the same annoying FBI log normally found on discs. It may not be the norm, but I think it does happen.

I would also say, and this is coming from someone who is probably TOO annoyed by the incessant forced logos before being able to watch a BD or DVD, that I don’t think the forced logos/trailers is any substantial part of the reason why people are moving to downloads/streaming over discs. That move is happening, but much like one of the arguments in the Simpsons DVD thread (e.g. people would rather download than buy the discs because Fox made the packaging so that the discs can get scratched), I don’t think videophile/cinephile sorts of enthusiasts are giving up discs because of annoying FBI logos and awkward packaging. Anyone who would stop buying physical media because of that would have already done it for any of the numerous other more plausible reasons (convenience, etc.).

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Yes. Prices are unbeatable.

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Remember what happened with Star Wars?

I view streaming as opening the doors to revisionist changes - you get what you get - could be the same, could be changed, could be - well, who knows what the future holds.

At least with original releases on media (or a purchased actual download) you get the 'first edition' - and it is yours.

I also don't like streaming as it current exists now, cuz I'm hostage to my provider's delivery system/connection - sometimes it works, sometimes my service is interrupted.

With my own system - I am not dependent on external delivery of content.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How slow? I can understand low speeds interfering with streaming, but it shouldn't be much of a factor for downloads (as those can take their time if need be).

20. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Specifically, I think it is the DVDCCA, which mandates the warnings and as of 2012 mandated that they be coded as unskippable. They also force all manufacturers to not bypass this. They are idiots.

Yes, this. I hope we get there soon. Not impressed by what I've heard about H.265. Hopefully the next effort to get higher quality into a smaller package will be better.

21. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

So, I 'stepped' into a misunderstanding in a previous thread regarding downloads vs streaming.

If the OP is truly limiting the topic to actual downloads that then reside on the user side for later 'consumption', then based on that - for me - I'd still prefer the actual media.

Downloads can quickly build in size with the result that you end up with a "Home Data Center" and resultant need for a Home IT department.

Call me a luddite - load disc, hit play.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good points. I prefer physical media, but I really hate the FBI warnings, forced previews, and then the seemingly ever growing string of production companies who all have to have their own little video stamped at the beginning of every movie they are invovled with before you can actually watch it. I've avoided buying discs from certain studios that are super aggressive with the number of previews they try to make you watch. There shouldn't be any on a disc one purchases, imo.

Deesky likes this.
  23. Michael

of course it would not be the same answer...the under 25 crowd have been conditioned to not carry much baggage...I'm sort of envious!

scobb likes this.
  24. Michael

I agree on the forced stuff, but it's nice to have many in the room on the shelf. Sometime I wish I could dump them all...too much physical stuff can be a drag.

25. Michael

I remember the days of dial up! even loading a picture was taxing on the patients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.