Does it still make sense to buy DVD and Blu-ray over digital downloads?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Master_It_Right, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I agree. I'm much more judicious with my purchases now than when the format first came out. I used to buy near everything I liked. No more.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

presently I get used DVDs for 85 cents to a buck each! It's crazy. I cannot stop buying them! hey! I can always sell them back for a quarter each! LOL!

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

More like, try to locate specific disk (you might have hundreds), load, hit play (hopefully it will not have disk rot), wait for unskippable crap to finish, watch.
    Convenience is the main factor I think. And of course, the under 25 'crowd' already has significant purchasing power which will only increase as they get older and they have children themselves.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

that made me laugh...in a good way. there have been times I experienced a DVD that refused to play...still the track record has been pretty good.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think the idea that the under-25 crowd is only going to want to stream movies and music and never actually "own" anything is a mistake. Once they do have income and want to share the Harry Potter series with their kids, only to find that the streaming license on Netflix has expired, they're going to want a physical copy too.

Jrr and mikeyt like this.
  6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Media will still be more convenient than managing disk space, system configuration settings, backups, security management, network configuration, patch updates, driver updates, performance tuning for simultaneous user access, endless updating of metadata and file management, clip art, folder management.

Hutch likes this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's a bit of a straw-man argument. No one has ever claimed that EVERYONE will be happy to stream/dl, but the was majority will and that's the trend we're talking about here. It has never been an all-or-nothing argument.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Could you have included hexadecimal core dump analysis in that list too! :D It's really not that hard.

9. Michael

I can agree with the convenience factor...which is big.

10. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I'll be goddamned if I ever pay for a digital download of a TV show or a movie.

audiomixer and GeoffC like this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Depends. There's organizing, and then there's organizing completely. Remember the audience here who is used to sorting CDs by pressing plant. :p

12. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I do own a few digital copies of certain movies via Google play. Although they do look good on my Note 3 screen size, I prefer Blu Rays. I am with the other 99% that prefer the same.

13. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

No, not for me. I have most of my collection on Vudu now and love the convenience of streaming whenever I want. The quality is excellent, too. I'll only buy Blu-rays if they are cheap, then I'll use the code and sell the disc.

14. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

You mean movies only right? no musical dvd's or blu-rays like Metallica or Queen right? cause you can't buy the extras on those most of the times so i'm still buying.

The last movie i bought on blu-ray was melancholia but only because i love that movie and Dunst but that was 3 years ago...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Most likely alternative to a purchase to me is using on demand feature on cable

16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

To me yes yes yes:cheers:

17. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I love the full DVD quality (720x480). Blu-ray too but, there is some kind of "warmth" in that DVD image (really!) :rolleyes:

I don't like streaming because you depend on your internet connection. And HD requires a lot of bandwidth. Not too convenient.

And the discs include some very nice extra features too :shh:

Plus, it's impossible to find all the videos you want in the digital download version. And most of them are lossy files that look awful in a big HD screen.

Well, not even on DVD/Blu-ray you can get everything you want. Artists should offer DVD-quality VOB file downloads of their videos. Where can I get a DVD-quality "Rock Me Amadeus" video, for example?

18. They've also been conditioned not to care about quality. (And I'm not be snarky.)

Jrr and Michael like this.
  19. But it will be. Very soon.

20. Without discs there won't be any competition for streaming to keep its act together (let alone optimizing its potential). Digital only is no good.

21. Right? If they even allow people "own" these files at all in the first place.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The world will never know.

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That's what the digital providers want to happen---nobody actually owning anything---consumers endlessly re-"renting" the same thing over and over again.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's true in a sense, but the alternative way to look at it is you pay a monthly fee for a service which gives you access to as much media as you can consume, any time you wish. I think that's the model they're ultimately going for.

25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think they do want that, but I also keep hearing that the millennials grew up not owning anything and would never want to own movies or music themsleves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.