Does Ringo Starr Belong in the R-N-R Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J_D__, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member Thread Starter

Well does he?

2. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

The three criteria you allowed as choices a b or c were so prejudicial it's amazing. So I Didin't vote.

No Bull, misko, raphph and 12 others like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes. He had more Top 10 hit singles (8) than many people realise during his solo career, and he played at the Concert For Bangladesh and The Band's 'The Last Waltz'. On top of this, he has toured successfully for over 25 years since the late 80's, and he collaborated with many great acts, and not just other former Beatles.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not at this time. Too many more important acts still not in.

crispi, jdrueke, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member Thread Starter

It's a yes or no question. Pretty simple....

Terry likes this.
  6. Boris number 9

You phrase just getting in because he was a beatle. Like being in the most successful and beloved band in history is a " only because" really I would have to disagree.

7. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Hell yes.

Bomber501, Terry and theMess like this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Look, if Madonna and Run-DMC belong in the hall then certainly freaking Ringo does - ****ty solo career or not.

Paul W, raphph, fuse999 and 4 others like this.
  9. Hasn't this been asked discussed for years here ? He will be included so it's moot.

10. warewolf95

Yes, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden.....

oi, I hate the people running the place! :(

11. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

As much as I love Ringo, Three Dog Night had 11 top ten hits and I don't hear any clamor for them to get in (thought I do think they are meritorious). Dion had nine top ten hits--I don't see any petitions on his behalf. Ringo's getting in because he's a Beatle, plain and simple.

Paul W, Zep Fan, soundboy and 3 others like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

He's already been recognized for his work with the Beatles. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason we're talking about his solo career is because he used to be in the Beatles. Meanwhile, other worthy artists get neglected.

13. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

No, Ringo Starr does not belong in the RRHOF as a solo artist.

Paul W and Comet01 like this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Not as a solo artist, no.
    If he weren't an ex-Beatle, he would have very little chance of getting a hit.
    He certainly didn't solely write anything great.

Paul W and Sathington Willoughby like this.
  16. jon9091

Lol@****ty solo career :laugh:

Bomber501 and warewolf95 like this.
  17. warewolf95

I will admit that I love me some solo Ringo. He's got some great, enjoyable albums. But he's also got more than his share of clunkers, unfortunately... :p

18. Boris number 9

Ten top 40 hits after the Beatles four of which he wrote. Three number one singles, and several platinum and gold albums as well as singles.

He played all the drums on the seminal Platic Ono Band. Most of the drums on All things must pass, he also played o, Tug Of War Pipes. Of peace, Flaming Pie, Cloud Nine

Ringo shined as a successful long-term actor in Caveman The Magic Christian, Candy, 200 motels & Shining time station

Ringo has also recorded with ELO, The Band, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton Harry Nilson, Ron Wood, Steven Tyler, Alanis Morrisette, Joe Walsh Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Steve Stills, Peter Frampton, Todd Rundgren, and countless others.

Ringo was a part of groundbreaking charitable events like Concert for Bangladesh and ain't gonna play sound city.

Ringo also spurred the Beatles to unparalleled success shortly after joining the band

Ringo has also brought latter day success to dozens of musicians in his all star band. Burton Cummings Gary Brooker, John Entwistle, & countless other hall of famers.

Ringo is also the fathe of Who drummer Zak Starkey and husband to Bond girl Barbara Bach

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  19. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

He deserves some kind of career achievement award, but he does not belong as a solo artist in the R and R Hall of Fame. Of course membership is pretty much a joke so who cares....

20. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Can we please dispense with the notion that awards or Hall of Fame inductions (to any Hall of Fame) are based exclusively on merit? No one seriously believes this, at least no one with the slightest knowledge who actually pays attention. The Oscars, to pick an obvious example, are famous for not awarding truly stellar performances and then making up for it by giving the same person an award for lesser work later -- feeling (often justifiably) that they deserve some sort of recognition before they die. Or, in desperation, they give them an honorary or special Oscar (e.g. Fred Astaire, Greta Garbo, Buster Keaton, Groucho Marx, Elia Kazan, etc., etc.). Awards ceremonies and Halls of Fame are 75% sentiment and 25% merit. Ringo gets in because everyone loves him and he's given people enjoyment for 50+ years, and he's old enough that he may not be around much longer. I have no problem with that, because that's how these things work. And you know what? The world is a slightly better place for Ringo having been in it for three quarters of a century. So yeah, put him in the Hall, smile, and stop taking any of this stuff so seriously.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

That's what he's getting, the "Award of Musical Excellence", formerly known as the sideman category. They're not inducting the guy who made "Goodnight Vienna"; they're inducting Ringo.

Paul W, Zeki, Chuckee and 2 others like this.
  22. jon9091

I'm not buying Ringo as the writer of It Don't Come Easy.

And it certainly seems like most of his hits were novelty songs.

23. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

He belongs in there because he was in The Beatles. I agree with Boris.

24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Well of course as a Beatle, he's not really getting in as a solo artist, more of a sideman category?

Paul W likes this.
  25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

He's in the Hall as a Beatle. Problem solved.

bizmopeen and zen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.