Does Ringo Starr Belong in the R-N-R Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J_D__, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sure Brian Wilso is a legenday figure and huge creative force for his work for the Beach Boys. But his solo career has been one flop after another and is not real well known as an individual outside of a hnadful of music geeks. The two times I saw him do a solo tour I don't believe he even touched his solo material (or his keyboard).

2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Nah. Are you sure that Neil is the 'last' member there, or least talented? How do you think he fared in Buffalo Springfield? ;)

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm wondering why they specified the genre of 'Rock' then, if it's "Popular Music"...?

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

He's the last one listed. :)

Glad you realize that Ringo is the least talented.
    So, if he got in for his musical excellence, I guess that should open the door for anybody who knows how to play their instrument to get in (again).

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ringo and Neil are each the least talented singers of their respective quartets

dewey02 likes this.
  6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

CSN album 1969.
    CSNY album 1970. Therefore, the last member there.
    Although I'd never say Young is the least talented musician of the group. In my opinion, that award goes to Crosby - least talented and lousiest human.

jon9091 likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Oh good we are ranking musicians as humans.
    Among the 4 of them Neil seems to have been the least good friends with the other 3 - and they actually know one another.
    David and Graham each at least have one friend in the band, and they express less annoyance with Stephen than with Neil.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  8. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

No problem with Ringo in as a solo artist. None of the four were ever able to separate themselves from the vast Beatles shadow, so you can't hold that against him. When John was inducted as a solo artist, it was a forgone conclusion that Paul would be along -- not only because of Paul's solo career, but also because John and Paul will always be a set. As songwriters, and then there's that larger set called Beatles. So when George was brought in, Ringo couldn't not eventually be included because you can't break up the set. The Beatles were the first group of whom I knew each member as individuals and individual personalities even when the band was still in operation. (The second was the Monkees!) When John, Paul and George are included, there is an obvious absence; the sentence is incomplete, there's a shoe to drop. If Ringo had gotten out of the business, faded away and had no hits -- and there was a time after the breakup where I fully expected that to be the case -- then okay. But that's not what happened.

Skywheel likes this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

That's kind of trying to dance around the point... Neil is still an exceptional songwriter. And he wasn't the 'least' in his other groups, just sitting there on the sidelines while everyone else did the actual writing/creating.

10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

11. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Can she sing? Yes you say! If you like them off key when they're not miming, I suppose she can sing. Influential? Unfortunately we may thank her for the Spice Girls and Britany Spears.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'll be the first to do so. Thank you Madonna for Britney. I like Britney better :)
    When's she eligible anyway? 2024?
    If folks like Jett can get the nod, she should be a shoo in.
    Of the two, she did a much hotter version of I Love R&R, and she had a much better string of hits.
    Plus the provacative image and crash and burn thing was as rock and roll as you can get.

13. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

I don't know. Maybe because the term "Rock 'n Roll" is more catchy.

14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Anyone who agrees with the "Exceptional Solo Albums and Tours" criteria is simply mad-for-Ringo.
    Though I think some of them may have made Rolling Stone's all time top 20,000 albums list.

15. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

...and was he invited to be a sideman because of his musical pedigree, or because was an ex-Beatle? One will never know. Ringo was indeed at 'The Concert for Bangla Desh', but so was Jim Keltner, one of the finest and classiest rock drummers in the business.

16. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I always thought the same thing. He was the least "hippy" type of the fabs. He comes across more as a nostalgia act as opposed to a musician. He has talent, no doubt about it, he just isn't a "serious" musician, never was IMO. As long as he doesn't host a Time Life infomercial pitching a greatest hits package, I'm good.

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, that criteria on the poll was misleading and loaded... I think even the most faithful Ringo fans wouldn't say he's had "exceptional solo albums and tours"! So that tag leads some to vote "no". A simple "Yes" or "No" option for the poll would have yielded different results, I believe.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Oh, I think he's a serious musician. He prides himself on that, especially in the past 26 years since getting his act together and doing what he does best and putting his musical priorities straight.

19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

So then you're saying that Ringo should be inducted twice for the same work, that he should be inducted because he's a Beatle.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Just because you don't like an artist doesn't mean that artist wasn't important. The petty complaints and criticisms of Madonna got tiresome years ago... :shake:

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But even that doesn't really sum it up, as the Rock Hall lacks plenty of popular artists. Even if we focus only on popular artists from the start of rock 'n' roll - 1954ish - to date, the Rock Hall would never induct superstars like Barbra Streisand. If it was truly the "Popular Music Hall of Fame", she'd have to be there, as would plenty of others who'll never make the Rock Hall.

I agree people take the name too literally, but there's also no name that offers a satisfying alternative, IMO...

22. 905

905 Senior Member

I think this situation has just created mass confusion.

Ringo is in the Hall of Fame, but at the same time not in the proper Hall. He's in a side category of musical excellence, though really it's for just being Ringo and some people wanting all four Beatles to be in individually, though Ringo is not exactly in yet he is.

zebop likes this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I was looking at the HOF site, other people were also inducted for different reasons, there's early influence, sideman,
    lifetime achievement, non-performer (seems to be for writers or producers). So he is officially inducted,
    just not as a performer as the other 3 Beatles were.

905 likes this.
  24. 905

905 Senior Member

That's it, that's what I meant by Hall of Fame proper.... inducted as performer is correct, poor choice of words on my part.

So what if they decide to induct Ringo as a performer one day? He would be in three times then. Imagine how that thread will be!

25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Well I kind of thought of it as a merit badge, but looking at the site it is a proper induction. My guess is they combined his performing and playing drums on various like Plastic Ono Band, Bangledesh & whatever, just a guess, don't really know.

905 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.