Does the "We're Only In It For The Money" 2016 Reissue/Remaster sound absolutely terrible to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greenoort, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought this at a record store a few weeks ago, I heard about the recent reissue and i snagged it (on vinyl). I was so utterly saddened, the sound quality and remastering is absolutely the worst ive ever heard. Is it just me, my set up, or anything else? did anyone else feel this way?

2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

The original Verve sounds awesome... not to rub it in!

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The master tapes were badly stored by MGM and are in a terrible state. According to Zappa, the oxide is falling off in places and you can see right through it.
    The vinyl you are referring to is digitally sourced, created from that deteriorating master tape with safety copies of certain sections used where possible.
    Is the best they can do with what's available.

If the analog master tape is in good condition, the Zappa Family Trust make a point of doing an all analog vinyl re-issue, but sometimes it isn't possible due to tape dam

All CD versions from 1995 onwards are also made using this same remaster.
    The Mobile Fidelity CD has different Eq choices which some find preferable.

The Mono master tape is in better shape and was included on the "Lumpy Money" CD set.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

"Absolutely Free Master Tape" lyrics

"The first word in this song is deteriorate. It means to leave the listener.
    De-te-rio-ra-te
    " etc....

efhjr and vudicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.