Does vinyl need an Analog certification agency (like the organic certification)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ironclaw, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Why should the labels risk damaging their masters for such small projects?

uzn007, DTK and violetvinyl like this.
  2. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The Beatles in Mono did not use digital delay and was true AAA.

Yes, which is why it's important to note that MOFI's Original Master Recording series doesn't necessarily mean analogue, it just means the original master is used.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sorry, but what is "OG"?

4. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

OG = 'Original Gangsta" = 1st press

I don't know when I started doing that, but that's how I began referring to them at the record store back in the day.

RE = remastered
    RI = reissued
    OG = 1st pressing

Shorthand, works for CD or LP.

Mr Bass likes this.
  5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

My fave BIA is the 5.1 24/96 PCM from the DualDisc's DVD-Audio side, but I haven't heard the MOFI. At some point I'd like to check out the MOFI SACD, can't afford the vinyl, still Chuck did a really, really good surround mix and it's hard to imagine The Man's Too Strong sounding any more amazing than it does in 5.1

6. AnalogJ

Ah. Thank you.

Y'know, I have both the original RL US LP as well as the original UK LP. I liken the MoFi 45 (which I had in my possession at one point) to the digital 120fps (or whatever that hyper resolution format is referred to as) as weird looking. It's so hyper-detailed, it looks unreal. I know of only a few films that have actually been released in that format, but I remember sneaking into a theater to see one and it looked like hyper-real video. For me, the MoFi shows off the lesser aspects of the early digital recording. I feel like that both the UK and US engineers tuned the recording as to how it would sound best. The MoFi has, admittedly, a greater dynamic range. But tonally it's weird, the way the 120fps digital print is.

7. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Maybe it can be as big a joke & ripoff as the organic certification is!

violetvinyl, DTK and uzn007 like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

All-digital albums were being produced as early as the late 70s (Bop Till You Drop). And also this:

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm not all that concerned with AAA, but I would like an agency to put a warning sticker on many records that says something like "This record is limp and wimpy, and has no grit in the grooves".

DeRosa likes this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Desire, really? What step was digital there?

11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Why does the song "Dog Police" come to mind?

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Either that, or stop them making claims about "analog warmth" and other bs.

c-eling likes this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Oh you can put money on record labels doing AAA and charging even more than AP (who have to actually license these things which costs money) does because it's a "premium" product.

14. AnalogJ

Analog Spark is another one working AAA.

15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It seems to me that indicating an all-analog process is what people are asking for. Thus, what if they include a simple "PA" mark on the record/tape. "PA" is short for "Pure Analog" and would indicate that the final release is the result of a pure analog process with absolutely nothing digital involved.

Of course, you'd also need to have a "PA" certification on your audio equipment too...

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

More regulations? Nah.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The certification logo could be a buggy whip.

[​IMG]

Buggy whips, used to prod the horses harnessed to wagons and carriages, started to become obsolete when automobiles appeared in the late 19th century. Today, any line of business facing the life-or-death challenge of a digital age will be described, sooner or later, as a contemporary buggy whip maker...

The buggy whip analogy is “an obscurity sitting on an anachronism,” said Daniel M. G. Raff, an associate professor of management at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

Failing Like a Buggy Whip Maker? Better Check Your Simile

c-eling likes this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

This thread brought to mind something vaguely similar that happened with hi rez digital a few years ago. Wasn't there some association that was going to verify whether the issue was below CD, CD or hirez? They had little acronyms like CD-H or something.

19. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident Thread Starter

There’s a thousand reasons chemical-intensive agriculture is not good. But that’s another discussion.

20. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

It doesn't sound digital to me at all

DTK likes this.
  21. Ironclaw

This is where a vinyl magazine (cough Analog Planet) could have multiple iterations of a record (if a record presser with an all analog capability volunteered or were lightly compensated for their services for an afternoon) made with different production methods. I’d be willing to bet a group of experienced record listeners would find the AAA version the best sounding after repeat listening (double blind). Until this is done, we’re all giving our best conjecture.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Digital has a sound?
    I can't detect it here :shrug:
    [​IMG]

23. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I agree 100 percent.

24. Ironclaw

I wasn’t talking about a law, heck Analog Planet could do the whole thing: ask the several questions of the label/pros, offer the hype “AAA” stickers, and promote their webzine at the same time through it.

25. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I'm not against digital and I still buy CDs and SACDs, but 60s and 70s records sound different on my system

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.