Does your "Dark Side Of The Moon" do this?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Elliott, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been reading all the DSOTM threads that are running at the moment, and they reminded me of something I discovered a few years ago which always makes me chuckle.

On my copy (original UK Harvest label), at the end where you hear "there is no dark side of the moon really", in the right hand channel you can >very faintly< hear an orchestral version of Ticket To Ride!

I guess the tape didn't erase properly. Or it ended up there by some other means ? Hope this doesn't shatter any illusions for anybody. ;)

Phil

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's on the MFSL CD as well..... You really gotta listen tho!

3. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Something like that is on my MFSL UD1, too. Some artificial noise, i haven't identified yet.

4. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

On a past thread, someone actually isolated that bit of music and had it posted as a file that you could click on and listen to. I wonder if it can still be found?

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Yup. Still there, I've just downloaded it
    http://www.holyzoo.com/~jeff/dsotm.mp3

Thanks HZ! :)

6. Sckott

I think what MFSL and what EMI used was a backup, something they used for a cutting master down the line. I don't think the organ music (or whatever) is on the master. It's on a safety.

I wonder if they isolate the roadie tracks "I mean, they're not gonna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock....they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he got off lightly because I would have given him a thrashing...I only hit him once...Mere difference of opinion...I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

That would be fun. I can't wait to get mine. The album is a lot of fun.

7. Phil Elliott

The music cuts in at what sounds like an edit - the start of the speaking is also accompanied by an extra layer of hum, which is absent until that point.

Alan Parsons once said in an interview that where a crossfade occurred, the crossfaded section was dubbed onto another 2 -track, then that section was spliced into the original master. This partially explains what has happened, do you reckon?

I also read an interview with a former MOFI employee (his name escapes me right now); who confessed that when they had the DSOTM mastertape in their care, they accidentally dubbed a bit of "Crime Of The Century" onto it. I'm sweating now just imagining it ... I don't recall how they got around it though. Ouch.

Phil.

8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

So, is this on the SACD as well?

9. sydriver

sydriver New Member

Yes, it's on the SACD 2 channel layer, but I haven't checked on the multi layer

10. Sckott

The beginning of the master was "over-ridden" for about 4-5 seconds. It was "repaired" later. All is well.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

In the interview with Gregg Schnitzer on John Harp's site, Gregg indicates that it is Supertramp.

Interview

Regards,
    Geoff

12. Phil Elliott

This is the site I saw - thanks Geoff!

Phil

13. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

WOW - how did they repair the master tape? Was there more than one?

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think they spliced the safety into the master tape.

15. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

That's what I've found too by doing my own filtering on the MoFi and the redbook layer of the SACD. It starts just as the dialog starts (music in the right, hum on the left, and "There is no..." in the center), but goes on all the way to the fade out after the sentence is done. There are other noises too. Sounds like clinking glasses on the Mofi, but is a bit more like the semblances of S's and C's left over from spoken dialog on the SACD.

It's very clearly a string section playing "Ticket to Ride" - almost like a Muzak recording.

I've read several accounts on the MoFi "mistake". There's another one somewhere, or maybe it was from handling the master for the 30th Anniversary LP/SACD transfer that said that they saw no splice marks at the supposed goof location (the only way to remove the goof from the master would have been to spice in a dub from a safety copy).

Joel

16. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I'm sure that you guys also all know about the

"If you hear this whisper you are dying" voice at 3:33 of track 5.

Don't you?

17. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

You do mean "I never said I was frightened of dying" don't you?

18. GP

GP Senior Member

I noticed that there is a lot of tape rumbling during the intro to "Breathe". Is this where the mistake occured? I know I'm digging up an old conversation--just curious.

19. Sckott

Yep.

And it's Claire saying "I never said I was frightened of dying." Same tape she says, "Yeah, I was definately in the right, that geezer was cruizin' for a brusin'!"

20. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Some of those spoken parts are played without the music on the making-of DVD of Dark Side.

21. Sckott

Yep. Too bad they left out what would have been neat to hear isolated, with what ended up on "Speak To Me".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.