Dolenz-Nesmith Tour In 2018!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And along with all that, Nez was wearing a US flag shirt, which was a pretty controversial thing at that time.

2. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

OOmphf. Forgot about that.

I always assumed it was his Nudie Suit, but yeah, both aren't a good look in 1969 amongst their target audience or the culture at large.

3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I always thought he wore the Nudie - Andrew says in Day-By-Day that his "cowboy suit" or something similar was discussed.

Not to get further off topic but didn't Nez get arrested for wearing the flag shirt at one point in, I guess, '68?

4. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that after Peter Tork left The Monkees at the end of 1968, Mike said he still had some things he wanted to try with The Monkees. As far as I know, that's never been elaborated on so does anyone know what those 'things' may have been and did he fulfil his wish?

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

My first thought was Nez hiring Sam & The Good Timers who would warm up the fans and then back Micky Davy and Mike. I believe Nez referred to this ensemble as Rhythm and Bubblegum.

pablo fanques and nesfan1964 like this.
  6. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure that was during the ‘68 Australia & Japan tour.

marmalade and DanofDune like this.
  7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I came across this video tonight on YouTube.

This kid is 19, describing how she met Mike Nesmith, and if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was 1967 all over again.

8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I know her. She was in our group of fans that met. It was our goal to get her to meet Nez. During the soundcheck or shortly thereafter actually, We, mainly a 1st generation fan Debra, got CoCo and Christian's attention. We talked and asked but CoCo wasn't too sure. But at the very finale CoCo points to Alex and gestures she turn her cries into a smile. I guess after that is when CoCo went and got Alex.

We are so happy for her. It was funny cause as the guys were getting ready for soundcheck Debra screams out "Hey Michael", he turns and looks, even walks close to the end of the stage. Deb continued "This girl drove 19 hours from Austin Texas just to see YOU!!". He pointed towards her and said "her" and then told Debra "You're embarrassing me". All with a smile on his face.

That was a magical night in Cleveland. During the Soundcheck Nez got very emotional at the end of Propinquity (I asked for Joanne but he said "No, that's too hard to sing, pick another). At the end of the song that I was filming I had to put my phone down cause I wondered if it was just an effect he was giving to the song or if his voice was shaking and cracking. No, he was truly chocked up and teary, explaining he wrote that for Phyllis, his first wife and Christian's Mom. He went on to say it gets so emotional, that you're so full of feelings and emotions that you can't sing. He had me in tears.

Jokingly he says "I don't know why i'm crying", points to Micky and says "He's got more to cry about than me". Lol. Micky says "It's true" then fake cries.

The night before they'd seen their biggest crowd at that point at Huber Heights Ohio according to CoCo, was there too, and I think by the size of the crowd in Cleveland it was prob another sell out.

Michael walked out at the beginning of the show and said "WOW, Thanks for coming out".

At one point someone yelled "I Love you Mike" and in return he said "if you only knew how much I love all you".

At the end of Daydream Believer with the lawn and crowd all holding up their phones with the flashlights on .. at the end Nez says. "Wow if you could just see it from up here". Then blows a kiss to the sky and waves .. for Davy. Very endearing moment.

Micky seemed grumpy that night but was in the finest of performance. I say he was grumpy cause he Didn't say much and kept cutting Nez off. Maybe he couldn't hear him. At one point Nez told the people in the grass with lawn chairs that they could bring them down to the front, that they didn't mind. Micky turns to Michael with a British accent or whatever it was and says "Are you the seating conductor Sir" *paraphrasing*. Mike tries to respond but Micky walked off the stage. It was Mikes turn anyway but it was abrupt and even Nez said "he just left".

Even when the both returned on stage after Nez's performance, Micky was in a really nice different than before, outfit, Nez says "Snazzy outfit ... trade you my shoes for it" .. no response from Micky.

All in all those two nights in Ohio were the best I've seen the guys perform. I will say, the second day in Cleveland, Nez was late for Soundcheck and I thought he looked a little rough, Like he just crawled outta bed .. sweat pants and messy hair and all. I wonder if that's when things started to get bad for him. He looked and sounded great during the concert and they equally flubbed lyrics. Usually laughing and pointing at the other.

Sorry for that long boring account. Keep in mind I paraphrased and told the story from my own perspective. And i'm not the greatest at grammar or spelling. Plus it's 2:30 in the morning. Lol.

Sarah aka Fandom Lens aka Zilch pod caster has a very nice review on her web page and in the latest Zilch blogs.

I'm going to see Nez in Ohio, Sept 15th, front and center and with the meet and greet. Never met any of the guys so this will be special. Been a fan since 1986, with Nez being my fav.

Also seeing and meeting Micky in Sept in Ohio.

Gonna be a really good month.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

In Micky's autobiography he says something to the effect that "Mike finally quit the group after I upstaged him on the Johnny Carson show." Probably an oversimplification, but that's what he said...

marmalade, DanofDune and Lonesurf like this.
  10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Keswick Theater date has been rescheduled for Wednesday March 8th :pineapple:

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got the official notification that the Mike & Micky Show at the Beacon Theater in NYC has been rescheduled for March 9th, 2019!

marmalade, Hep Alien and MerseyBeatle like this.
  12. modrevolve

March 5th - Count Basie
    March 6th - Keswick
    March 8th - huntington
    March 9th - Beacon Theater

are we missing any?

13. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

sounds like there's more dates and shows on the way ..

Boognish and Hep Alien like this.
  14. modrevolve

Nez update
    Hello from Roysdale. Latest update on the FNBR tour -- my health is stabilizing and I have green-lit the rest of tour tour that I had to cancel with Micky. Not sure what might happen in the future but looking forward to the dates that will start (in just a few weeks -- yikes!) in Houston. Then on to Austin, Dallas and places Northeast!
    Great band, great players -- music sounds better than ever. See you on stage.

Hep Alien, DanofDune, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  15. FredV

16. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

I'm hoping Mike n Micky and the band will be woodshedding for a few weeks before the 2019 March gigs..

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. seeknom

seeknom Forum Resident

I'm hoping they add some more dates. I saw them in Toronto and it was the best Monkees concert I've ever seen (no disrespect to Peter and Davy). I'd love to see them again.

marmalade and D-rock like this.
  18. FredV

19. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Another shot at "Love Is Only Sleeping".

anth67, marmalade and Hep Alien like this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hope they pencil-in a Detroit show!

marmalade likes this.
  21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Listen to the Band" is often looked at as The Monkees' "last hurrah", and with good reason: It's a great track that received a fair amount of airplay, and rated higher on the charts than the original "A" side, "Someday Man". "LTTB" wasn't a megahit by any stretch, but it's decent charting must have given Nesmith some hope that what he was trying to do musically "could" catch on with listeners, especially if Colgems had put some decent promotion behind it...

22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I like Someday Man better. Far more commercial recording. Their chart decline coincided with a decline in the appeal of their post-Valerie singles. Tear Drop City was fair and I like Someday Man. DW Washburn is a terrible song and was a bad choice for a single. That just shows you how popular they still were that the song still made the Top 20.

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The song was literally my "first hurrah" with the band. A very eye opening song for a six year old. The very foundation of my own journey as an artist.

Grand_Ennui and Hep Alien like this.
  24. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

They both have the flag as wearable apparel, which I think was illegal at time.

25. DanofDune

DanofDune Forum Resident

Hands down, the Monkees needed better singles with more promotion behind the chosen songs. PO BOX would have been far stronger than DW Washburn, Can You Dig It would have been stronger than the Porpoise song (for a single), Look Down or Through the Looking Glass is a better track than Tear Drop, and LTTB just needed more promo behind it. Plus, playing their old hits on TV was a misstep...

Ugh, if only the Monkees had a coherent vision post HEAD, and a singular producer. There is some EXCELLENT Monkees music in 1969, with absolutely no vision to tie it all together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.