Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

All this interest in Nightfly and me without my original which I haven't had for decades. I think it was one that got damaged in the floodof '90. I stopped by a local shop today and found a really clean copy today for $2. It has the Masterdisk stamp in the deadwax along with RL so I lucked out. I just did a drybrush cleaning to listen to it and ot sounded really nice but I'll give it a proper cleaning later. It might be nostalgia but I enjoyed listening to it again for the first time in many years.

2. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

My replacement disc for sides 3 and 4 along with two brand new inner sleeves arrived today from Music Direct. My original record 2 had a nasty scratch on side 4.

It's taken a few months but Music Direct handled it very well and I didn't have to send the old one back. Most of the wait was on RTI pressing up a batch of replacement LP's.

FashionBoy likes this.
  3. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

I got word from Elusive that my copy is ready to ship. So, it came, after all this time. As it took almost forever, I added some items to my order in the meantime, the last of which will be released in 2 weeks. So... another 2 weeks for me. But it has arrived. Along with the Billy Joel Gr.H I&II MoFi vinyl set as well, I have to add. Feels like after the discovery of some production faults, MoFi had to go to the back of the line at the pressing plant...

AnalogJ and Joti Cover like this.
  4. Ayuso

Ayuso Forum Resident

Elusive shipped my order yesterday

bluejimbop and AnalogJ like this.
  5. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

Would love to see this on CD/SACD

6. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Day before. I’ve got the Nightfly Trilogy 5.1 box but no vinyl copies, so you guys can keep arguing but I’m excited, dammit.

7. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

IMO the only thing remotely good as the MFSL One Step is the HiRes Trilogy Box!

8. bluejimbop

Black backgrounds, micro dynamics, sounds I hadn’t noticed before, flat pressings and clicks & pops all the way through side 3.
    “I could just scream” - Capt. Wallace Burton Binghamton

9. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Sorry to hear. Should be replacement of LP2 available. Funnily enough most people seem to have a problem with side 3. I had a minor one.

bluejimbop likes this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And.....SHAFT!!...(That's right), you have played an original Robert Ludwig LP as well?

willied likes this.
  11. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Thanks and yes!
    I have 2 original RL LPs and the old MFSL LP and the original CD too. They all sound acceptable but the Trilogy box and now particularly the One-step has the distinct upper hand.

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Well that proves more copies could be pressed of these one step titles without compromise to SQ. How about a second run of Abraxas Mo-Fi ? Obviously would make the flippers sick!

bajaed and bluejimbop like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

MOFI advertised Abraxas as limited to 2500. Pressing more would, for me, be a loss in credibility at MOFI. I wouldn't mind if MOFI handled these like many other titles by selling as many titles as they could sell until the license ran out.

However, there is the collector thing.

bluejimbop likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They underestimated demand. I think BOTW will be 7500.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Right. BOTW will be 7500. It will be interesting to see how fast these sell out.

16. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

And Mo-fi would more than likely have to re-negotiate a licensing agreement with Sony Music.

AnalogJ likes this.
  17. Have we ever established exactly what was used as the master tape? The original 16/50 3M tape, an analog dub of the 3M tape, the 16/44.1 PCM-16x0 U-matic tape used for CD duplication [which probably underwent an additional D/A and A/D conversion when transferred from the 3M tape], or an analog dub of the U-matic tape?

18. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

I don't think the master has been established - no. Maybe the availability to the "right" master made this whole project come to life?

Blue Cactus likes this.
  19. bluejimbop

Thanks. Called 'em and they're "seeing what they can do for me"

20. I’ll ask Fremer if he ever got this info. Gotta first look for my last email exchange w/him because I don’t remember his email address!

shaft likes this.
  21. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

I'm not sure Fremer has the info (or wants to share it) but I think it is the same master as the DVD-A...based on what I hear...

22. It can’t be the same as the DVD-A because the intro to Green Flower Street has extra bars on the DVD-A.

In his review, Fremer guessed at the source as well as guessing at the sources for previous reissues, so I know he is interested. If MoFi is going to tell any member of the press what their source was, it would be Fremer.

shaft likes this.
  23. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Sorry forgot about that ;-)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Lots of audio karma

One of my back up vendor for the Fagen One Step - shipped without confirming a copy to me 3 months later.

I didn't really need to copies so I thought I'd sell it at cost.

I put it up on ebay for $100 buy it now

The next lowest cost was $230

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Is it gone already? I’m interested but I don’t see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.