Donovan - Aye My Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bigrynz, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigrynz

Bigrynz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. I've got a question for any Donovan fans who might know the answer. According to one Donovan website, the version of Aye My Love which appeared as the b-side of the Lalena single is slightly different than the version which appears on the Hurdy Gurdy Man 2005 remaster and Greatest Hits And More CDs. I have both of these CDs, which share the same version. There is what sounds to my ears like a splice/repeat of the first verse, whereas according to the Donovan fansite, the single version has an actual second verse. Can anybody verify this? Also, is there anywhere online I can hear the song transferred from the 45? I've been looking everywhere but can't find it posted.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Hi Ryan, this purports to be the single version, but it has the same verse repeated....

3. Bigrynz

Yes, I had found this on YouTube beforehand, but something tells me the audio in this video comes from either one of those CDs and not the 45. Can anybody verify whether or not it's the 45 version?

Thanks,
    Ryan

4. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Bump.

Someone here must have a copy of the Lalena single from 1968 and can answer this?

5. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Correct. The single version has a second verse:

"Silly would I be to want you
    Just to be here by me
    Lonely am I this chilly night
    But, my love, that is all"

All extant versions on CD just repeat the first verse and chorus and loop the instrumental while fading out, whereas the original single mix not only has a second verse but also has a different performance on the second chorus. And rather than fade out, it ends cold at 1:45.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Aye a bump.

7. Bigrynz

Thanks for the response Jae! I wonder why this original single version has never been released on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.